Active Player Count?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord Blackthorne, May 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Blackthorne

Lord Blackthorne Avatar

Is there any way to have the information of how many of the almost 200,000 britannians are actually actively playing the game?

I am interested in knowing if this game is as empty as it feels sometimes.

I'm doubly interested because the development team is giving incentives now to play to debug things. Peculiar, no?

Anyhow - does anyone have the statistics or know how to attain them?

2. Schemer

Schemer Avatar

I believe are between 100 - 200 people online most of the time. That info was pulled when they released the public API and steam also gives around 100 as the number of people accessing through a steam purchased account.

Leelu and Time Lord like this.
  3. zeme

zeme Avatar

4. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Great link! Thanks @zeme !
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes: :)

Leelu likes this.
  5. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

People always say they don't see many folks on,just take in account that a lot of folks run in Solo/Party mode,so you can't see them.

6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

The world is so spread out it is difficult to see people online unless you have friends. It seems that I run into people quite a bit if I'm standing around on the map or anywhere in multiplayer. I might see some when I go to owlshead but who knows how many are anywhere else if they are not on my friends list. Anyone can add me to their friends list and if I can help any time I'm happy to. :) I believe the devs have a heat map of some type showing where players are hanging out.

Sir_Michael, Elwyn, Solazur and 3 others like this.
  7. Serena Strangelove

Serena Strangelove Avatar

I don't play through Steam (fwiw).
    There might be more than you think who don't, so I wouldn't use Steam as an accurate pop number.

I usually stay in MP mode, although yesterday I dropped down while gathering certain resources.

There are people in my guild who are waiting until it is further along before they play, that may be the case for many others, so there is that too.

I always see people on, some days more than others.

Sir_Michael, Chatele and Time Lord like this.
  8. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

What do you mean by 'now'? The testing incentives programme has been in place for more than 8 months.

9. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

I wear my tin foil hat and hold my breath when I'm playing so no one can see me.

:D

p.s. I'm also wearing my Emperor's new clothes so I have to be obscure.

10. Birko

Birko Avatar

I have slow data.

Innascual Inch and Time Lord like this.
  11. Cream2

Cream2 Avatar

Total current active playerbase is less then 500.

You can't count the people in the telethon. They are just there for loot and don't play.
    Plus a lot of people run multiple accounts

12. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

I seem to recall a dev comment that Steam represents about 20% of the active player base.

Sir_Michael, Vox Aquila and Time Lord like this.
  13. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Whenever I have logged on, my friends list online is always around 3 to 5 inches long o_O...
    which may seem a bit short, but it's how you use it that counts! ;)~TL~:p

14. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Pretty sure it was Chris in a recent post-mortem. I suspect his definition of 'active player base' is closer to 'active accounts' than it is actual number of people playing. I log all my alts in through the launcher for their daily gold while I'm playing my main account through Steam, so only 25% of my accounts use Steam regularly even though 95% of my playtime happens through Steam.

15. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

Just a note, New Britannians are not backers. New Britannians are registered forum/website accounts. One must click on the extended statistics to see the number of accounts that have backed the game. Right now that is roughly 63,000, though even the number shown on the extended statistics is not exact. Portalarium have said Steam purchases are not reflected and I believe that the bundles have changed how numbers are reported as well. This means the ~63,000 is lower than the actual. One other thing to consider though is that too the 63,000 aren't backers, but accounts that have backed. Some people have multiple accounts.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
    Time Lord likes this.
  16. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

God, the constant crying about the numbers from Steam being irrelevant is pretty bad here. It's not every player, but it's the most accessible route to this game as it's a massive platform used by millions of people daily. The website, word of mouth, or the 10,000th crowdfunding/telethon/whatever doesn't give the game as much exposure as steam does. The grain of salt nonsense with the numbers it provides are just that. If the game's not pulling in players through Steam, there's likely a (very good) reason to one extent or another be it a lack of advertising, undesirable content, etc.

Everyone doesn't play through steam. But steam gives this game a lot of exposure simply by existing on it. If the numbers there are low, it's a near certainty that unless some other massive marketing campaign or incentive exists to get people involved outside that platform that the numbers there are, at least, a way to track trends.

As of this writing, there's ~175 people on via steam. ~145 average in the last month. Let's play devils advocate and say that represents one tenth of the player base (Steam's probably at least 40%, but let's get ridiculous.) That means there are an average of 1500 people playing every day, a number that's been getting lower (with occasional bumps) since launch... err "persistence".

Considering you can play this MMO alone and never see another person if you wish, those numbers are concerning. Don't take steam as the bible on player interest, but it's certainly worth more than a grain of salt.

17. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

I used to play SOTA via STEAM... because I like how it tracks how much hours I've played but not anymore... so count me out of that number...

Sir_Michael, Barugon and Time Lord like this.
  18. Humbert_Humbert

Humbert_Humbert Avatar

Whenever I sign on to check on the current status of the game. I rarely see more than five people. I quickly sign off when I almost immediately become bored of the grinding on this awful combat system. I don't even mind the unique system but the actual combat is clunky and the monsters are dull.

19. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Indeed. And we have quite a few of those 'purists'.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Somewhere chris commented about steam being around 20% of their active plsyer base.... whethrr i belive that or not.. even if you put it as 10%.. exactly.

Id honestly think its about 300-500 who play daily give or take. Maaaybe 1000 weekly.

Thats being generous.

Then look at the trial numbers.. he had under 20% play more then 2 hours or something? Id love to know the % of trial accountd that actually bought n still play. Id be surprised if its 10%.

So thats why i AGREE with their choices of revamping the whole starting experiance. Been sayen it since i started. Hopefully those new player numbers eho stay increase going forward.

Xandra7, TheBalance and Time Lord like this.
  21. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

@MrBlight 's post - 100% in agreement with your synopsis of the situation and potential activity. Problematic all around.

Time Lord and Ice Queen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.