Why It's Good To Be A Victim

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Zifnab Strongarm, Dec 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Some people just don't know how to lose.
    They rather quit.

2. Ara

Ara Avatar

The harsh enviroment in felucca brought players together way harder then any casual game ever done to me. There is less reason to get together in a total safe enviroment.

Why seek to help each other out if there is no danger?

Non-consensual PvP brought alot of long-term friendship to the table. In my case they are still my real life and gaming friends and it have gone over 10 years since UO felucca was destroyed by EA with Age of Shadows created by the soon to be WoW designer, LOL.

That is one of the main reason my friends in gaming today are the players i fought with during UO felucca some +10 years ago.

I dont believe the ones that never experienced this would understand it though.

3. Ara

Ara Avatar

I believe it is the situation ingame, not dying without putting up your best effort staying alive.

My crafter in felucca UO often went outside the more secure city areas to gather ore/wood. Usually in the caves above a city called Minoc.

I remember the thrill i felt when i got outside the city limits, there were danger, a PK could be arround.

I prefer to play in such a potential dengerous enviroment and i sincerely hate the safe totally uninteresting gameplay i find in games where the only oppositioni ever meet is boring developer created NPC mobs.

Adding some dangerous real life player to the equation bring a fun exiting thrill to my stomach.

And my crafter/gatherer eventually learned some PvP skills and killed many red players with his deadly poisoned katana.

I adapted and tried to do my best even though i was the underdog. I didnt quit and the reason for that was i seeked revenge and wanted to improve.

I later joined my guild with similar minded players and we improved to be one of the best PvP guilds seen in felucca UO.

4. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

I dont believe that people that dont approve of pking would even care to play this game RG created Pking to change that is to try and change the man.. Debate it all you like It was by design.

5. Zifnab Strongarm

Zifnab Strongarm Avatar

Why does everyone keep assuming that all of us on the side of "for PVP" are advocating nonconsensual, free for all, prey on the weak, no holds barred PVP?

Edit: Forgot to add, Why does everyone think that just because there are ideas we would like to draw on from UO that we want a UO recreation?

There can, and should be, some restrictions on things (*Please Lord British, no item insurance*).

Back to my main point, and the point that many of the other PVP advocates have said, "We want the opportunity in this RPG to prey on each other."

I hope that Owain catches me attacking someone so that we can develop some high stakes in-game competition. I want to be stalking someone weaker than me who is probably not paying attention, and at the same time be worried that Owain might be this guy's friend, swoop in and dominate me while my focus is elsewhere.

I also hope that while I'm out mining or skinning, some punk (like me) comes by and kills me or steals my loot/items just because he would rather do that than work for it. At that point, I might hit up Owain (if he doesn't hate me too much) and inform him of the location of the troublemaker. While Owain is handling his business, I can get back to skinning, and add that punk to my hit list when I'm ready to PVP again.

What I don't want is while I'm trying to level, Ara (just an example since he seems to be a PVP advocate) is hanging out around the starting village after hitting max level, one-shot killing me, evading the guards, and then coming back over and over every time that I rez.

I don't want a group of 10 people sitting at the city limits creating a PK blockade that prevents anyone from completing a quest line for hours.

6. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

The player freedom, yeah, that was by design.

The amount of PKing, and even plain old griefing, happening, though, was completely unintended. To the best of my knowledge RG thought that players would create a mostly orderly in-game society by themselves, keeping predatory behavior to a minimum without needing hard in-game rules to prevent it.

And sincerely, the amount of nasty player behavior in early UO is likely the reason why most follow up games overcompensated and completely removed most of the freedom in how players interact among themselves. No developer wanted a repeat of what happened in early UO. It might not be a stretch to say that UO's inability to keep player behavior in check before separating Trammel and Felucca is, to a large degree, responsible for killing open PvP in most MMOs released after it.

7. Zifnab Strongarm

Zifnab Strongarm Avatar

There should have been a few more protections for players in UO (maybe you're invulnerable to PK attacks before gaining 300 total skill pts?).
    Aside from something like that though, I think that an additional problem was in the back-end where guards wouldn't work when called and other bugs like that. It made it easy for thieves and PKs to camp at city limits to prey on literally everyone and everything.

8. Owain

Owain Avatar

I'm not sure that will be possible with Selective Multiplayer. If they program some intelligence into the system, then they would not only match players by flag settings, but also by skill/XP. Richard Garriott remembers all too well the problems with newbie whacking in UO, and he has said that won't happen in SotA.

What better way to do that than to prevent low level players from even seeing higher level players? If you have a low level friend, then join in in FPO until he gets some XP under his belt. Otherwise, it's probably better for everyone concerned in OPO Open PvP that high skill/XP players are separated from those who are much lower.

9. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

What midevil title was ever an orderly society?

Book, Game, or Movie?
    We had a choice and we chosen what we knew.

10. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

See the problem is so many people typed a pk as a griefing jerk.. Some people do fall in this definition but most did not... People that complained about getting killed, bested, or Killed more than once.. Got what they asked for harsh penalties for being a "Murderer".. Once our hard earned stats where on the line that opened the door to griefing... So in actually it was made worse at your own request ( people agenst player killing)

Why would a red players stats be worth less than a blues?

TemplarAssassin likes this.
  11. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

Risk vs Reward.

12. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

Right so a sword and armor was not worth a month of playing ... so it was time to reduce that risk.

13. Owain

Owain Avatar

Risk vs Reward does not apply in this case, I don't think. Your risk is losing your gear (with full loot), and if you are a criminal, additional risk is supplied by having every hand raised against you. Your reward is getting someone else's loot.

Stat/xp is a poor punishment in a game that features PvP as a legal part of the game design.

14. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

Once the ability to choose to be involved in PvP (via switch, facet, etc) was implemented, sure, that's why they removed that "risk". Before then, while it was in place, that was the issue for the PK to consider... was the risk worth the reward.

15. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

You speak as if PK was only a Red player... any idea how many Blue players would hide @ the Chaos Shrine ready to Kill a newly rezed Red? That’s ok we only see what we chose to see .

blaquerogue and TemplarAssassin like this.
  16. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

Those are all bad design deicions that break the game for me...

Btw, why do we even have..levels? Are you sure? I haven't been following the updates for a while so I dunno what's goin gon.
    We got levels in SotA? Like WoW? Why?

17. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

P.S. It only seems that the devs are adding more problems than we previously had with UO gameplay by trying to cater to the masses and attempting to make the game bearable for 3 year old kids...
    Not complaining, I'm well past the age of complaining about such things. Just...curious.
    I have no doubt that a lot of people will be happy with the final product if we get LEVELS, no full looting, empty PvP "servers" (or whatever we call the thing that binds all guys who got their pvp flag on together), donation mounts and gear and an absolutely stale gameplay that has more to do with Sims and Dress Your Barby Doll Online than with the Ultimate RPG.
    I want to believe that the guys in the dev team have not fallen so far into the darkness of marketing and we can still have some good online fun in 2014. Because, frag my life, it's been a long time.

P.P.S.
    What looks curious to me is that I've seen a few polls concerning PvP 'n stuff, and most of them had 50% or more peoplei voting for PvP without restrictions. Which make me happy. Can't give exact links, sorry.

jondavis likes this.
  18. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

There absolutely are methods of adding risk vs reward to PvP and allow for choice of participation. The contraband concept that was briefly discussed can easily be used.

You are out on the road traveling to town. Randomly you are approached by a band of gypsies. They size you up (moral system checked) and can spot you are someone they think they can do business with. The leader asks you to meet with someone in town, give him a password, get a package from him and bring it back.

The second you receive that package you are in OPO mode with PvP on and the meta shard system will be putting you with other PvP players of simalar level. The risk is the package, the reward is the package arriving where it was going, or being handed over to the authorities.

Coming up with other scenarios is not complicated. You drop down into the sewers below town, just inside you run into the city guards, one of them tells you that there are convicts lurking about. Carry on at your own risk but they will not be coming to your aid.

There is no reason to put players in the position that they can not get away from PvP if they do not enjoy such game play. This does not stop people from staying PvP 24/7 and playing with other people that are PvP 24/7.

19. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

By the Dragon of Devouring Darkness, this sounds so dull.
    So...scripted. Oh god, the 4354654654654667th time I get approached by the same gypsies witth the same dialogue lines and same quest I swear by the Void I'll delete the game. And my forum account.
    Back in the day UO devs tried to avoid scripting quest as much as possible.
    They had a nice sandbox game with every tool possible avialable to players - from dragons and pvp to crafting GOD DAMN STOOLS AND HAMMERS AND LANTERNS.
    Every god damn tool that is needed in order for the players to create a living, breathing world.

And they also had GMs and Seers who organized events and quests and stuff.

You dude probably have never seen what an amazing =LIVING= world can players create without ever needing scripted quests and other retarded crap like that.I feel so sorry for any of the crowd who comes fresh from WoW to these forums, still carrying the sands of Azshara on their feet and leeches from Dustwallow Marsh stuck in their a...armours.
    Come here and reward us with deep and thought out posts about quests, questing, organising gameplay, PvP and PvE.
    Not even aware that everything that is 1000 times better than what WoW offered was already invented nearly 15 yrs ago and still works wonders to this day.

20. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

To each his own.

As I said, this does not prevent people from being PvP 24/7.

How you go about finding your PvP content is your choice, an experience PvPer would not need a scripted event to show them there is a PvP option available.

Crusader of Sacrifice likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.