Everyone's thoughts on forcing PVE players into Open PVP areas along the main storyline.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by twofoldsilence, Jul 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

Yeah... comedown of high, may hap, from the telethon. Say what you will; having seen the "otherside" from a publisher perspective, I'm not quite sure consumers, as a whole, understand what a WIPs means when you have a dedicated team like this with a firm vision but permeable to change if they have support.

Just wish I can send the woosah to everyone. Maintain feedback, don't get nasty. I so wish I had the leadership, talent, design, creative, prograaming, databaze engineering, management, strategy, vision & analytics I could deploy like this team for BS stuff, and they are building a damn world right now... nay, a platform with roots to grow on. UO in beta vs what it became?

Sorry... I get it, just trust these guys, or sign up for a job... or send me your resume if you can do one better with the resources & talent you will vet & pull together on your own.

Sorry.

Sincerely sorry.

I need a nap.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  2. Womby

Womby Avatar

Well, that depends on what you mean by "exposed to". Being given the option to engage in PVP? No problem. Being forced or coerced into PVP? If I'm forced into a choice between PVP and not playing at all, I'll choose the latter.

Cianna, Acred, Roxanne and 11 others like this.
  3. Curt

Curt Avatar

100% PvE here. Doing main storylines is very much PvE and should not need to involve PvP.

It's as unreasonable as if they would demand PvP:ers to first complete the Path of the Oracle before they flag.

In my opinion should all scenes involving story lines be PvE or they make so can stay in solo online or friend online when visiting them.

In the current version will I find it impossible to complete the storyline due to ...

And yes for me to if choice between PvP and not playing at all i choice to not play at all

Roxanne, Bushmaster, amaasing and 3 others like this.
  4. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Fortunately, you need not make that choice as there is no requirement to enter a PvP+ scene to complete the quests.

5. royalsexy

royalsexy Avatar

Well, in a fit of pique over the Path of the Oracle questline, I just sold my RF Lord Deed and houses. Will switch to offline mode until the alternative options to complete the story are in.

Acred, amaasing, Womby and 2 others like this.
  6. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Think how PvP'ers feel. People who want to PvP are forced to PvE to do everything and anything in the game... but you never here them complain.

However, as many have said, no one is forced to PvP in any way in this game or go into PvP zones. the one or two items found only in PvP areas can easily be traded for with *community*. Why does an NPC have to tell you how take PvE routes??? Isnt that the purpose of community. Joe warrior in RP would go into an inn near the area he is looking to enter and ask the fellow warriors around him how to get into the area safely. In real life that is your friends or guild mates.

eli likes this.
  7. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I don't care who ya are, that right there is Funny. </LarryTheCableGuy>

It's one of the topics they complain about incessantly, @2112Starman

8. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

honestly I am pretty conflicted on this since I am mostly a pve player and don't think I should be forced to pvp to complete the story or explore the majority of the world.

from another thread.^

but I feel like the above "wonderful idea" would make the world be and feel much more alive and dynamic, and that's what I want from shroud. I want myself and the world around me to be affected by my own and other peoples actions, and pvp controllable... control points is one way that could happen.

Numa, fonsvitae and Cordelayne like this.
  9. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

ya, you are right, they lightly make comments like "you force me to PvE to PvP" but its nothing like the "you force me to PvP for PvE" crowd. Besides that, the PvP people are right and the people who claim they are forced to PvP are completely and utterly wrong (or simply misinformed).

I like to PvP and I have had to grind 96 levels to be powerful at PvP. There is no way around this.

At most the PvE people say "I cant get a crock head because its in a PvP zone" and I know I could say "hey Mac, Ill pay you 10K gold if you grab me a crock head" and it would be done and I would have a crock head. :)

Sir_Michael likes this.
  10. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

That statement I'll agree with.

Sir_Michael likes this.
  11. Curt

Curt Avatar

I has tried one of the alternative ways and found pairs of water elementals that healed faster than i could hurt them

12. Xandra7

Xandra7 Avatar

I tried the alternative way today, not sure if it is my build .. but same happened to me, even against only one of the 600 hitpoint water elementals it was impossible to take down with its healing.

13. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

You sum up my feelings perfectly.

Cordelayne and amaasing like this.
  14. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

Cordelayne likes this.
  15. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

Been a while, but I remember that riff raff. If memory serves me, I realized quickly (arcane archer/healer build) I could not take them on so patience & "stealth" was my solution. Pretty sure I managed to avoid most combat.

Also, adventuring with friends always helps.

fonsvitae and Cordelayne like this.
  16. Gamician

Gamician Avatar

No you are not the only one. And it is not just about Quest Lines. However I do believe that @Lum has stated that there are alternative ways to bypass the PvP zone for a Quest. If it is the Vaults you are trying to access, there are other entrances from the Non-PvP Areas. The Vaults are not PvP.

You will however probably have to get used to the feeble attempts at the Carrot and Stick approach to getting players to participate in PvP. Even though this approach has driven many many players out of UO, it has now been adopted in SOTA. Increase Resources, MOBS that can only be found in PvP areas from which you can acquire a Head for mounting. Areas with the best EXP MOBs that can be aquired in the shortest time. Areas where access to high level EXP areas is much easier form a PvP zone.

There are many of us who refuse to be coerced into the PvP areas just to become "Sheep to the Slaughter" as it has been put to us. But it will continue. More and more will be added to try and tempt players to enter the PvP areas.

And all will be done under the guise of "Try it you will like it" or "Risk vs. Reward" . All in attempt to convince players that it is their problem that more people do not PvP is somehow your problem.

Truth is again many of us were hoping SOTA would be different than UO in this regard but it was not.

I am not against PvP. I think it is an important part of the game for a small minority of players who truly enjoy it. And to me the more players in the game the better. But like many others I have talked to there is a deep rooted anger, not at the PvP'ers but at those who feel that you have to treat PvP as something different that requires more perks and rewards than any other group of players. That out right hatred of the system, I do not think the Developers realize exists. Eventually it will lead to those who strictly PvE to leave, even though they generally are the ones who would normally stay years and years.

To me meaningful PvP should be based on a real desire on the part of players to want to PvP not be coerced into it by parlor tricks.

Roxanne, FrostII, Mac2 and 7 others like this.
  17. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

the Problem is not wanting us to enter PVP Senes - the Problem is the limitless, restrictless skillsystem and the imbalance for PvP - or lets say the massive grind and take care less or "roles" and archetype characters in PvP!

all MP things like economy, pvp and groupplay are crap due to this so called "classless" and limitless system. Nobody depends on each other, chars aber uberpowerfull, until you havent grinded for tons ouf hours you cannot make the sightest distribution to PvP (in UO some medicre players with mediocre gear do matter - in any PvP Situation)

As R.G. said - the ways around will be described and polished - better sooner than later - but in total the fact that the most beautiful and most lore relevant scenes are PvP scenes - and that makes maybe sense because of lore - but PvP is so... i cannot say how disappointed i am - and maybe some will say now i am just envy and not able to do it proper or whatever - its just the biggest crap i've ever seen.

SP Mechanics for online or MMO RPG - its just unbelievable.

And now add proper Text passages and create beautifull and meaningfull ways around, aren#t you gonna make a Story Release?

All these pledgers what have pledged for Ultima SP Story game will maybe come back and will recognize they have to grind a lot and they have to PvP - and the PK's cant wait and will camp the scenes - they will exploit all is possible when people go and only want to quest or PvE - i think another wave of rants and dissapointment will be seen.
    And then they will be said - go the other way around - unfortunately its not polished yet - but we want to "release" the story either.

Sometimes i think - it would maybe the best to go back to a SP offline Game, i doubt they will ever make MP modes viable besides "Dance and Fashionparties".

Moiseyev Trueden and 2112Starman like this.
  18. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I'm really sorry to hear this. This is such a crucial time for this game and the trial and error way of developing things can seem like things are going bad but then our feedback pulls it back. I really don't think things have been 100% decided and we still have the opportunity to rally for other approaches to some decisions made. I hope you will check back one day. I will stay here and help hold down the fort until then j/k but I will be here to fight the good fight. I believe this game is worth it. I always think you are awesome so please don't leave for good. :)

19. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

ya, gotta agree. I have maybe grouped 1-2 times since persistence, there really is not much of a reason to. This game is extremely single player.

In fact, with our death tax, I wouldn't group if I could. I have made lvl 96 and died less then 5 times since I can control what I do. Grouping and attempting harder areas ends up in death and that takes its tax.

Stundorn likes this.
  20. amaasing

amaasing Avatar

Really? No they are not. What do you think the PvP flag is for? PvP players get to PvP throughout the entire game in every town and in every instance if they are flagged as such. That why I can't even get through the streets of Owl's Head without going through a pile of corpses that were a result of PvP play. However, I can still walk the streets and not have to engage in that style if I want.

I am a crafter, decorator, and quest follower. I do combat simply and solely against the elements within the game that I need to in order to accomplish crafting, decorating, and completing a quest. I absolutely do not play PvP in any game and find no joy in attacking other players or having them attack me while I am focused on one of these 3 tasks. It's not what drove me to spend thousands of dollars on this game. I don't have the skill set to participate in that game style nor do I have the interest in that area of game play. I want to complete quests, gather materials, make housing items, and decorate all of my houses and lots. End of Story.

I do enjoy being around the community and joining in on the activities and helping other players out when they need it. If I have to now start playing Offline to go through the quest lines then I will probably stay off line to play, which then deprives me of that comradery - all because I have to either play through a PvP zone to complete a quest or go another route that takes me through endless gangs of 'impossible to defeat in solo mode' monsters / bad guys. And dying just trying to get through those high-level groups is not worth losing experience or going through the frustration of dying all the time. So even the alternative routes would be difficult for most of us who don't have high combat abilities unless I am completely wrong about what will be along those routes. If they are not 5 skull levels, then okay - if they are and you get caught by a gang of monsters / ruffians attacking you, then Sorry, Charlie, I won't be going back along that route again.

I am saddened to see that the game is going in a direction that prevents the Players from playing their style and enjoying the game and community and partaking in the areas that truly interest them and will keep them contributing to the game both financially and physically. But we all have choices. Some choose to play PvP, some don't, some will choose to continue playing the game and being an active part of the community, and others won't. I just personally think that the latter should not be a choice we have to make because of PvP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.