The major problems with the combat system.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Poor game design, Oct 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

i also understand that and i respect it!

it's ... difficult and yes its of course my own personal feelings, experiences while Pen and Paüer, LARP, RPG, MMORPG and so on.
    Its my personal taste or flavor i would like to see.

i know that what i want is not for the most others, but it makes me sad for 20 years now and of course i do further my compromises.

My first aproach was to take more schools into my "character build" my archetype i wanted to play.
    But its endless, you take this into your build and then this, ending up in doing it more or less all and loose your "role" your archetype.
    And i still cannot PvP (open sandbox PvP, i am not that type of player for tournaments, what mage philosopher does combat tournaments, thats something for pupils like Harry :p
    No it is clearly ot my game to RPvP like all the other games i played since then.

donnt feel accused or pesonally attacked - should have studied informatics and create a game of my own :p
    But then nobody plays it because there is no audience for something like this.

I have hope for fractured mmo, because of this:
    "Tired of MMOs where the fun begins 80 hours after you’ve started playing? In Fractured, you’re free to join your friends in the most epic adventures right off the bat. Once the strengths and weaknesses of your character are set, you’ll be on a quest for knowledge and reputation, not attribute points!"

on the other hand, i know people that say: go away with online RPG, thats not RPG, thats just levels and gear.
    And exactly that it is. I have a dream, a online RPG waht is about RPG and not about levels and gear.
    SotA makes the biggest step in this direction because of items, housing, siting, smoking, emotes etc... there are not that much games out where you can roleplay that way. But the rest oof it is like everything else more or less, it is not about RP and having to make serious negotiations, have travels what are so fndgerous no one will ever be able to do it alone, dragons that are so powerfull that only specific knowledge what is hidden somewhere in a book deep in a dungeon and forgotten that it even exists.
    How epic would that be: People rant and despair on fighting Dragon over and over and one day a character reveals a book with the infos how to fight that dragon. And the Dragon wont respawn, maybe some month later another Boss appears on the world, and again the players began to search for the right knowledge to fight it and...

You know i have ideas, alone in this forum are so many cool RPG ideas that cou can make 5 games of it.

but they dont do it, because you cannot earn money with this!

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  2. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I don't think it's necessary to limit players' options or progression in order to incentivize specialization. The way the current skills system is designed is pretty good. It's just that the diminishing returns on most skills are so steep that you can only gain a tiny bit of specific power for a truckload of versatility. That could be tuned at any time without changing how anything works though.

I also think that even as things are now, there are a lot of different ways of going about things that are pretty good relative to whatever is perfect, and high level players aren't all the same. This becomes clear pretty quickly just from watching other people play.

Sara Dreygon, Mac2 and Hornpipe like this.
  3. whatyouwantmyname

whatyouwantmyname Avatar

Let's not forgot pole arm leg sweep as well (nerf it to ground!)
    To the op, just a l2p issue, many counters for it out there, the problem lies within your build. Melee and cloth are not so well suited together, the dual weld cloth (kirito clone?) I would recommend not branching so far out stay with cloth and range OR heavy and melee. The reality is some builds are better than others don't get discouraged just enjoy the ride as the game development progresses.

As for trip being OP get real, it does no damage andAmy ways to overcome it

Mac2 likes this.
  4. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

L
    You have a different opinion than me so gtfo l2p knoop!!11!!11 I be super 1337 etc is what i took from your comment :) mac liking it doenst suprise me one bit tho

and here gooooes the suspension pf my account? maybe we will see, who cares

5. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

It is a l2p issue but op has a point in saying everyone is basically 1 class. I can just repeat myself and suggest that the deck building needs to be limited and more of a deciding factor in combat. No way to get it balanced otherwise imho.

6. whatyouwantmyname

whatyouwantmyname Avatar

The deck system does limit, you can't take more than 5 or 6 skills if you want to stack and get the most out of your deck. A deck of 20 set right is much more efficient than let's say a deck with 40 and twice as many options. You use to much more focus when not stacking at high level and basically have to use a specialized deck to get most out of each build.

Maybe you guys have really big decks, I like like small decks.

My point is min maxer and serious pvp player are stacking glyph and using specialized decks for certain situation.
    I'm not taking a bow and cloth to go mining, no I switch to plate and pole arm build(a deck with 24 glyph,6 different skills). This freedom to change is needed for different content from pve and pvp.

We are not all 1 class, we have the OPTION to be EACH class

7. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Im just gonna go with a simple NAh for this

we are all one class and its called superhero evident by the ridiculous clothes worn by half of novia :) another broken promise but hey I would break ANY promise for cash so I say good on port... kind of

Stundorn likes this.
  8. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

i would agree, because Gear is the next thing and top gear what focus on supporting schools or skills is important an makes the difference.

it's still not good for MMO and PvP.

The PK type of player, can observate, choose a deck and then kill his victim. No chance to counter that.
    If we were limited in total, you maybe ca do this to some players, but because you are hard capped, you cannot do this to any player.

i like Vallo's idea of limiting decks, but it wont solve the resistancie issue - i would like to remove the reistancie thing completely from skilltrees and
    move it to Potions only.
    Same thing maybe for buffs.

To say its only about l2p is not correct imho, actually it is way more about levels (skills and adv), gear and artifacts etc...
    and playerskill is less important.

And additionally the measures to PVP will gain endlessly.
    Casuals like me, can never be competetive if things dont change.

9. whatyouwantmyname

whatyouwantmyname Avatar

Let's say port does away with resist and puts in hard caps then what... it's take 12 million to gm str dex int (just lv 100) 1.2 for most skills and 3 million for most passives (not sure on exact number I don't have the spreadsheet availabe sorry but these are close). Are you gonna grind out 36 million xp to be competing in pvp, ohh wait sorry top pvp player have theses skill 120 hard cap are you going to grind 50 million xp to have base stats to be equal in pvp. Let's say you do, now another xx million to get the skills you want to get to the 120 hardcap.

My point is even with hard caps and resist gone it would take an extreme amount of time to be competit I've in pvp, the players being complained about have spent around a year developing characters this is an rpg we will progress at different rate but end the the guy who has grinded more will have more with or without caps and resist. It is fair it's an mmo/sp rpg game every mmo has differeceived in power between players

Stundorn likes this.
  10. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Caps would also mean you need to make choices and cannot skill all trees /skills.

Would lead to dependencies for crafting / harvesting, pve Boss killing and it would create more diverse pvp and sometimes you meet your nemesis and another day you are it to another player.
    Or you meet someone more equal to you.

My favorite cap would be to choose 10 trees including harvesting, refining and production.

Only for MP modes, SP offline could be as it is now.

11. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

what? as it is now you need not millions but billions and billions of xp as you have to raise ALL magic + your preffered weapon and armor and thats a minimum :/

12. whatyouwantmyname

whatyouwantmyname Avatar

Billions is a bit of a blown out number to be competative, I'm sure some player have aquired billions(the 1 % that will will run into how often?) I think it around 15 mill to gm all the resist passive, to unlock it is next to nothING lv 40 is joke for anyone who hasn't just started it.

Im not saying the resist is a good thing for pvp but if you can level your stats to compete levels then getting the resist will be easy.

The resist are a huge help in pve though, to want it gone is mind-boggling, this game offers a single player experience and for that to work some of these features are needed to be able to enjoy a single player experience.

Mac2 likes this.
  13. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

No, proof my point very good.

It's a game, dont take it so serious and let as much people as possible partake.

I understand you are the next meritocracy fan who works in games and defends this ridiculous effort = reward bullshit.

No matter, have fun dividing people more, instead of meet in the middle, come and play together.

I understand that very well.

I need not to switch games.
    I can refuse and renounce competition in games, although i find it sad that it is allways anf only about that.

I'm hoping for games evolves and people start to understand that this is just crap and leads only to jealousy, envy, gaps between players, dividing of the playerbase and such.

I am not jealous of having not a single GM yet. I need none, maybe i never need a single one to have fun playing SotA.

I wont discuss with you further.
    You wont get my point.
    You are in the effort= reward working class and to overcome this it needs a lot of thinking and playing instead if working.

14. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

really? this is the first single player I have played with this much grind not to mention the least fun single player because its more a single player mmo not a true single player so i have no idea what you're getting at

im lvl 90 and my character is still MANY millions away from even having 1 deck totally maxed. I could grind for a year on skills that contribute to all my decks and still wouldnt be done after yet another year of grind... No if this is how the game is going to look its a complete fail in my opinion and cannot be called a spiritual succesor to uo because thats just a massive lie at this stage or a con which ever term u prefer.

Stundorn likes this.
  15. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

What if i dont want to use it, what about Attunement supports resistance and having the tree maxed (there is no max)?

PvP is a la endless race and some have time to race the whole day and did that since persistence more or less.

Crap!

The curve flattens when i am retired.

The thing about pvp is to have as much participants as possible, but
    nobody is going to try to be under the top ten or top 50 if it's an endless race of having as much skills as high as possible, what others started long ago and are running at max speed because they can (time).

Disgruntled likes this.
  16. whatyouwantmyname

whatyouwantmyname Avatar

I don
    I'm not old enough to know Ultima online(2d kinda a buzz kill ya know)

Even a kids game like pokemom has a grind.
    Maybe your grinding in the wrong spots I'm not sure, my adv lv is only 73 I'm back after 8 month break. If it will make you feel better I will flag tonight and you can kill me in Whyte rock Name in game Nex.
    Done with this "debate" we have different opinion on what we want out of a game.
    Maybe do as I did take a long break and come back

Either way peace

17. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

No accusation.

You may also not old enough to know that playing a game initially is not about work/grind but about playing and playing is not only about competing/ min maxing and Roleplay Games are about Roleplaying or at least should be about it, but that's all not the case since then or since ever.

That is what i expect need to change, lets play together and overcome this bullshit about work, effort = reward...

It's maybe better to base it all more on playerskill or even RNG than on time working

18. whatyouwantmyname

whatyouwantmyname Avatar

Why does it matter how others play the min max and rp it has no effect on the other. Just egos that don't want to lose and a game(in develope) that gets bad reviews when the do

Mac2 likes this.
  19. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

i feel the opposite :)

that it is a problem if one thinks he needs to "work" to play a game.
    the effort i do is i know how to handle the game, for example how to use skills and fight, i need no additional xp to my loot.
    I would like to play a game where you build your character and the only progress you do is about story, player interaction like RP, PVP, trading...
    knowledge of the game, but about strength from a gamemechanics view everybody is the same, even gear is only fluff. Playerskill, -knowledge and interactions is key.
    That would be a good Roleplaygame! where the god damn grind is gone and its about playing and not about working.
    You still can grind ore if you want, but its "pointless" from a gamemechanics view, but it woudl grant you to craft very cool fluff stuff :D

i read this and was hyped...

20. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

I have 10 skills in each magic school leveled for attunement and innates but I don't cast anything.

Mac2 and Hornpipe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.