The major problems with the combat system.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Poor game design, Oct 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Maybe because heavy and shield has more defense, and your talking about defending against a skill? Can you see how you will only be happy if they cater a counter using the skills you want to use?

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Actually I'm looking at the combat system objectively, identifying gaps (that Chris agrees with) and trying to think of solutions that would make sense.

If there were a skill that heavy armor users couldn't counter (and there probably is since we have a lot of gaps in this combat system) I'd want that fixed too.

Stundorn likes this.
  3. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

If you looked at it objectively, that means your build and personal opinion is left out, that means you can learn shield and heavy to get knights grace and bolster balance and have 2 counters. I think your looking at it subjectively and want it catered to your build.

4. Drocis the Devious

If a player wants to counter trip they're required to use either heavy armor or wear a shield.

Or to put it another way. You have to pick between a shield and dual wielding or two handed weapons. Or you have to wear heavy armor. You can't for instance wear light armor and dual wield weapons or use two handed weapons or you will be tripped all day.

Does that seem reasonable? Why do you think Trip works like that? What's the logic behind it? Cloth armor makes people clumsy? Using a two-handed Axe makes you off balance?

Stundorn likes this.
  5. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Yes, yes it does seem reasonable. strength and weaknesses. Does it seem reasonable for everyone to be able to do everything with any build? HELL NO. Should I be able to counter fire magic with my death? Should I be able to counter water with air, should every magic school have an anti cc for every cc skill? Should weapons skills be able to heal?

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  6. Drocis the Devious

So tripping is really just about people that don't use heavy armor or a shield? I don't see how that makes sense. I don't see how that's balanced. Doesn't that mean if you see someone that doesn't have a shield or isn't wearing heavy armor you just switch to your "tripping deck" and they can't stop you? Why would we want the game to work like that?

Stundorn likes this.
  7. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Your also forgetting one major factor as well, str helps prevent being tripped as well. My trip is gmed and its not 100%, and the more I use it, the more it misses from diminishing returns. here is another counter, blink, if I cant get near you I cant trip you, could say the same for dash and sprint. Jeeze, look at all these counters to trip, we are up to 5 now.

Fister Magee and Vallo Frostbane like this.
  8. Drocis the Devious

Ok, that doesn't really answer any of my questions. But let's continue...

So now we have to be strong, wear heavy armor and or use a shield. Can you think of a single example of where someone using heavy armor, that is also strong, and perhaps using a shield is not capable of defending themselves against a single skill (similar to tripping and the way someone in cloth armor without a shield would be)?

You added this in an edit, so I'll respond now.
    None of those things are counters. So we're down to two limited counters that require using a shield or wearing heavy armor and training in knights grace, and we're still talking about an RNG roll to decide if you get tripped or not.

9. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

But you ARE capable, your just don't realize how. Guess what, shield has a lot of fizzle, so does heavy, and blink has a high fizzle rate.

Vallo Frostbane likes this.
  10. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Because if everyone can defend against it at any time with any build, what the hell is the point of having the skill in the game then.

11. Drocis the Devious

I have a zero fizzle chance with Blink, because I'm wearing robes. Not sure why fizzle matters at all here when we're discussing being tripped though.

12. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

And by the way, it goes both ways, why don't you trip them? There you go, balance.

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  13. Drocis the Devious

That's exactly what I ask myself when someone has 200+ GM's.

I don't want everyone to be able to defend against trip, far from it. I only want there to be a viable counter that makes sense. Putting a counter to trip only in shields and heavry armor doesn't make sense. It's really the heavy armor folks that SHOULD be getting tripped so people can run away from them.

14. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

OMG, because you can use blink and they can't in heavy and shield? Pretty hard to trip someone who you cannot get close to. Do I really need to explain the power of blink to you?

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  15. Drocis the Devious

So, why don't you just magic them? Who needs resistances and attunement? Why don't you just fireball them, who needs douse and ice shield?

16. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

First off, I don't even use a shield or knights grace in my main pvp deck, I would rather have other skills, whatever done with this convo, pointless to try and state facts with someone who will not listen and just wants thing their way or the highway.

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  17. Drocis the Devious

Actually it makes me wonder what the counter to Blink is...

This is what I'm talking about. If there's not a clear method to counter something, we need to fix that.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  18. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

The counter to blink is blink and nightstep.

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  19. Drocis the Devious

I would prefer something that causes a player that attempts to use Blink or Chaotic Step to instead get rooted, but while the "debuff" was in effect, if they didn't use Blink or Chaotic Step the player would get some kind of buff.

That's just off the top of my head though.

20. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

OMG, so you want blink and nightstep to root the person instead, and they have to use it twice to work? Get real.

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.