Will there be Skillsystem changes?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Stundorn, Nov 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Some people accept the way things are, some people don't. The shoe that fits one pinches another. Many players out there, enjoying the game as it is. Sorry its not what you want.

King Robert, Dhanas and Antrax Artek like this.
  2. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

Seems a reasonable solution. Bonus for specialized class instead of a malus.

Sara Dreygon, Dhanas and Mac2 like this.
  3. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

do you know what suprises me about this?

It's the way that the "other" people point out the issues they have and are allways ready to do compromises and you say:
    "who the cap fit should them wear it" plain and simple you dont care for us.
    You (not only you Mac) allways say put the effort in, work for it, you can do everthing you want and all that, but you never listen or care about others issues imho.
    If i say i want hard caps and then some have good points to have it not, then i think over to find a compromise.
    And if you say you dont want dependencies within players, you want to solo everything for example you are in no way ready to do a compromise and say ok let the troll and demon be soloable but the dragons are ok to be constraint group content for example.
    You do no compromise imho.
    Maybe i'm wrong.

And what does that mean, if the shoes pinches me, i am wrong here and should go away play something else, stop telling my PoV and tolerate to be called a liar?

nobody want to take something away from you in the first place, but maybe it is neccessary that also you need to find compromises?
    too also have us or the people with complaints satisfied.

Game would profit from it. just to say.
    Almost all polls or discussions end up 50/50 - its better to do a compromise and keep 80 out of 100 than to decide to one side and only have 50.

Xandra7 and Hornpipe like this.
  4. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Some people develop a long argument with supporting figures showing a problem that affects the game and has been denounced many times by many people, some people just use a sentence, defending their own their personal motivations for the game.

Many players out there, enjoying the game as it is ? We are not so many in Novia. And a part of the-not-so-many are asking for changes. @Vallo Frostbane, @Baron Drocis Fondorlatos, @Disgruntled, @EMPstrike, @Stundorn made suggestions to get a better skill system and there are more. I know some people in my guild who are disheartened with this. I don't even count those who quited the game for a similar reason.

As simple as that.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    Disgruntled, Xandra7 and Stundorn like this.
  5. Sakarisei

Sakarisei Avatar

@Stundorn

Honestly there already 7 archetypes if you want. Those archetypes are warrior, warrior-mage, archer, archer-mage, assassin, mage and healer. I could add the tamer more if taming were viable in any aspect of the game, and not a just for fun thing imo. However, and honestly, I think you must learn from @Antrax Artek , or at least that thing is my main opinion. But if you want more info about it...

Yes, it's true that people trains basically all magic spells at level 80 because attunement. But when a guy like that has got those spells at level 80 for having 80 attunement in each magic, people must choose wisely. From level 80 to level 100 is a huge experience requirement, for non-talking that a skill from lvl 100 to lvl 120 requires at least 7m of exp if the skill requires 1'2m for lvl 1-100.

Sean Silverfoot and Antrax Artek like this.
  6. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

@Sakarisei maybe we find another and less RP destroying timesink to ask people to skill every magic skill to 80 o_O

7. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

And I can list a bunch of people who like the game, and accept it for what it is. Do you feel you and those others should be catered to over others?

8. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

We are not here to ruin their game, but they have to understand that maybe they should have to do compromises with their habits if they want this game to seduce a larger public. And by larger public, I mean the 50 000 players needed for this game to sustent itself, like those around me who are used to play RPG or MMO and, looking at me when I play, wonder : do you really need to use water to max out your fire spells in this game ? Do you really have to summon.... fireflies ... to get the best critical hits ? Or : Oh, this guy is healing himself with death, rain, sun and life spells simulteanously ?

Gorthyn and Stundorn like this.
  9. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

ok lets stop here - the Thread was a question to Chris and LB - lets all stop discussing and arguing, it only will lead the thread to be closed.

@Berek

Hornpipe likes this.
  10. Sakarisei

Sakarisei Avatar

Yeah but do you know what's the matter with it?

When they reach it, I can assure you that people is completely forced to have a specialization if they don't want to have huge penalties when dying. I dunno if you have reached adventurer level 95+, but from that level, the penalty can be enough to force you to unlearn certain skills for training your specialization.

11. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

And I know people that like this. If everyone thinks just like you do and the game will instantly explode with players as soon as we do what you say, which I don't even know what your suggestion is by the way, well, all the power to ya. I have to agree with stundorn, the debate is going nowhere, hence my short responses, I'm busy playing.

King Robert and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  12. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

Maybe submit op as a telethon question?

Stundorn likes this.
  13. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Is it possible to push resistances/passives into a more universal skill tree that goes with every deck? Then, give a refund to everyone and allow people to reapply exp to the newly relocated skills?

Antrax Artek likes this.
  14. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

My suggestion was have a passive skill in each magic tree first on the right so you do not even need to cast a single spell from the tree for resistances, make it move up with every action like a stat passive. The skill would have to be equal to the amount of exp the tree costs to keep balance, otherwise you could counter a whole tree of magic with much less exp.

15. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Sometimes I wonder if culture has just trained people to only see the world one way. Why is your wizard not a wizard if the wizard has a shield and platemail? Why is a fighter not a fighter if the fighter can hone energy to make skin like stone?

Classless system allows for so much creative possibility. Tank / Mage / Healer is 1-dimensional and wholly conventional, and Ive played that game a few times before. I support SotA because it is not like every other game Ive already played (at least, it looks like it will turn out that way).

Mac2, Tsumo2 and Paladin Michael like this.
  16. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Yes, this could be a thing of skill polish. We have resistance for air, water and fire.
    Would be great to have them as first passive (grey one) beside the first active one.
    Only chaos was told not possible to resist ;)

I think it is clear, no one can expect, this will work until 100% of resistance, but may be x% depending on LVL of the caster! To be "realistic": A player should have to learn something about the kind of magic he wants to resist!

A GM mage should be able to fill a plate mail with water, if the player who is inside, has no further magic resistance. Armor enchantment would help. If he don't use this, may be a straw could prevent from to be drowned?

A tier 1 player should be able to fill up the plate boots to slow the warrior, give him cold feets and chill ... ;)
    How much resisting would be necessary to prevent this?

Yeah, resisting is an important and challanging part of the skill system :)

17. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

I've always seen SotA as Science Fiction in scope.

Mac2 likes this.
  18. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

I thought the debate was close. The OP asked us to stop posting here, just to let the devs answer if they want to, and to avoid the thread from derailing.

But where did you see that we don't want that to be possible ? That's not what we are asking about. We are asking for some balance with skill cumulation, for the total freedom to be what we want to be. We're asking for this game to allow everyone to do anything without feeling the need to be what they don't want to be. Do you want to know my suggestions about that ? Look in my profile log. Do you want to see other's suggestion ? Look at @Vallo Frostbane thread, or @Baron Drocis Fondorlatos recent posts.

Now, can we talk about the culture which prevent someone who want to use warrior skills without magic to be efficient in PvE or PvP ? No, we can't. Because the OP just asked us to stay out of the discussion by now. And that's what I will do for now. That's the whole problem here however.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  19. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Not sure I am following, or if I am following I don't see how that helps what the OP is asking.

IE: I want an Earth/Air Mage. I only play Earth/Air -vs- I level every mage tree and use only Earth/Air in my deck.

The OP only wants to play Earth/Air and not the other mage trees. This perspective is a complete flip of leveling everything. I can see where the perspective has valid points but it is an extreme change. But there's got to be some way to boost a more focused character build to have more viability.

Mac2 likes this.
  20. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

For me it's been a really interesting thread. I think I understand more of other viewpoints.

Stundorn and Paladin Michael like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.