Will there be Skillsystem changes?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Stundorn, Nov 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Weill he want to roleplay and never have to cast a fire spell, but still have the fire resistance, my suggestion would make it so he never has to cast a fire spell and get fire resistance. Still have to spend the exp, but I do not see a way around that.

Ristra likes this.
  2. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

And I was just about to welcome him to the hot side of the force.

Paladin Michael likes this.
  3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Some time back, they had a passive skill for attunement in each magic tree. Everyone just GM'd those for resistance. They then made it so that getting attunement in one tree would subtract 50% of that attunement from the opposing tree. That was a crappy solution. They finally made it so that your attunement is the average of all the skills in the tree (now it's the top 10). To me, this is the best solution because if you want high resistance then you need to spend the points and live with the fat decay hit. Any other solution, like having a skill in each tree for resistance, means that people will GM just those skills and ultimately take less of a decay hit.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    Rentier and Paladin Michael like this.
  4. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

No, as I said in the suggestion, the exp to level the skill would be equal to the full exp of the tree, otherwise, people could counter 36 million exp death mage with 4.8 million exp, and that is not right.

Bow Vale and Antrax Artek like this.
  5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Then what's the difference between that and leveling 10 skills?

[edit] Also, there's a reagent cost to getting high attunement.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  6. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Seems logical to me. Don't want to learn fire? Fine, but if you want to be resistant to fire you will need to spend the exp.

My next question is how would the experience be applied to fire resistance? Would it be a simple click to spend pooled exp? Or something more involving like getting hit with fire spells to gain fire resistance?

Mac2 likes this.
  7. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

The difference would be someone that does not use fire skills would need to use fire skills just to gain fire resistance.

Mac2 likes this.
  8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

That's a really silly reason for them to re-engineer the system. I don't use fire magic at all but I have 62 fire attunement and I don't fell that it compromises my Archer/Healer in any way.

Mac2 likes this.
  9. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

For RP purposes. A water mage needing to grind fire spells to gain resistance to fire would be considered not playing the water mage.

If they have attunement based on all the fire skills while keeping resistance off to a place that is reachable by people not using fire skills the system stays the same. Only, grinding fire isn't required.

Mac2 likes this.
  10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Again, this is a pretty silly reason. You can RP whatever you want and it doesn't matter a single bit what's in your skill tree.

Rada Torment and Mac2 like this.
  11. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I think you do it just like the stat and some other passives, every autoattack, every use of a skill, and being hit with that magic will increase it.

Well the complaint is for roleplayers who do not want to use fire, having to use fire to level the skills for attunement because your resistance is based off your attunement. This would solve that problem. You will save on regs as well.

Ristra likes this.
  12. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Then you haven't been reading what the OP has been attempting to say.

Which is why I have been saying:
    You represent the belief that RP lands in the deck. The OP wants the RP to land in being able to play those abilities that fit the RP; water mage grinding fire just to be resistant to fire and never wanting to cast fire spells breaks that RP.

Mac2 likes this.
  13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

So, spending a bit of time in single player online in order to push some points into a few skills that you'll never use in a role-play situation breaks role-play?

Mac2 likes this.
  14. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

That is the perspective of the OP, yes.

Wanting to be a sword fighter but having to play archer to gain range defense would be another way of illustrating this.

I personally don't mind the current design because I plan on leveling as many skills as I can. Mac2's suggestion would all for people to gain the resistances from each tree, at a sizable exp cost, without the need to level the rest of the tree. It's a reasonable fix as it still allows those of us that wish to play all trees to keep things the way they are.

Mac2 likes this.
  15. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

OH I guess another big point would be, you get a resistance value from leveling the skills in the tree OR get it from the resistance passive, which ever is higher.

Antrax Artek, Tsumo2 and Ristra like this.
  16. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

My one year anniversary in persistence was on Nov 2. In the year since I have been playing they have made changes multiple times to the spells. I just adapt to the new system and move on. So please don't assume you know what I want. I am not against Stundorn's idea's idea of focused skills. I have 4 times as much experience in my life tree as any of my other trees. Both Sara and I are in our 140s working towards 150 in our main skills. Life Power for me Blades for him. I suspect that some of the specialization skills are already in the works as they started adding them to the new artifacts. I would think they would make these skills work by a certain number of cards of one type being in a deck similar to how you have have to equip certain armor and weapons to use those skills. I'm certainly not against something that would make my heals even stronger that would be great because I am so specialized. I also like the option of having a resist skill in a tree that is equal in experience to the average of 10 skills in the tree. That makes good sense to me as well. I think people should have a challenge to get up to high level and it should take some time. I do however advocate equalized party experience to solo experience. I think no one should have to travel solo if they don't want to and should get the same experience in both types. Please don't assume that just because I don't agree with a specific suggestion that I don't want any changes.

17. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Thank you for this clarification but I think that you don't understand my point of view either. I don't advocate for specialization being better than it is now. I'm asking for a logical and universal limit to skill cumulation. A limit like we already have with magical shields : only one shield at a time. Specialization will naturaly get more interest for everyone if people don't feel compelled to train everything. I'll post my suggestions below because the discussion went on.
    The fire resistance passive actually grants a +50 fire resistance at the 200th level (almost 5 M to GM, 66 billions to get to the 200th). I think I heard that the attunement provided a resistance equal to the half of its value (200 attunement = 100 resistance, 31 millions to get to the 100th attunement level, I guess, 434 billions to get to the 200th). I don't know if we are talking here about a percentage or a more classical resistance mechanism. But I agree with you, as long as they decide to put every resistance in the same passive skill, the experience need to be determined accordingly.

The suggestions I already made are below. I feel like I need to post those again because I think people don't understand my opinion clearly yet.
    There is nothing new here. @Chris already did something like that with magical shields. He began to do something similar with the damage avoidance skills. In my opinion, this should be universal, because :
    - it's a simple rule, that everyone can understand easily while the current system is a mess.
    - it would help the game to be balanced without big efforts.
    - some skills, which almost nobody use with the current limitations like evasion (because you can get better damage avoidance with fortify defense and ice shield which provide also other bonuses like Fire Resistance), could be balanced accordingly.

There is nothing here that would prevent anyone to be anything they want, but, of course, people would have to deal with some sort of logical limitations.
    Currently you can cast an ice shield to slow a target, and cast a fire ring on top of that. With an average attunement, an ice field will cut its move rate in half. That's twice as more fire damages (without counting dots) if you cast the fire ring on it before it can escape. But nothing in this makes sense. You use ice and fire in the same move, on the same spot.

Make this in order to allow those who don't want to use Stone Fist but sword, or Light but torches, to get the same bonus with their stats, at the same experience cost.

I have absolutely no problem with heavy armor mages. I don't see why they could not chose between light and heavy armor, as everyone else.

That's something other people are asking for here.

Why does one have to train moon skills to get resistant to Life (?!!) and Death ?

Now, if you think those suggestions are a bad idea, explain me why. I do not have the science infused, but I wish a real debate rather than hearing "I want this", "I do not want that". To be honest, I don't care about what you want or do not want. I care about this game, its success, and the pleasure people can get with it, because I have personal interest in SotA success.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  18. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

No thanks. I like the open system where you can be everything if you want to be. I'm not a stick person. I don't like things that tell people no. I prefer the carrot. Give them options that benefit them focusing on specific skills more. So if you want people to use skills give them benefits for having specific ones. Not punish them for having them learned.
    Because like most real life mystical systems you control magic not with opposing skill but with a square house. You would not control a Leo with an Aquarius you would control it with a Taurus or Scorpio.

I still haven't actually heard a reason why you want these changes. You list them without reasoning. Unless your reason is " I don't want to have to actually spend the massive amount of time it takes to get high in the game so I want to restrict everyone else." In which case I would say it is better to advocate raising everyone up rather then tearing people down.

Mac2 likes this.
  19. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

That's the issue and wrong imho.
    Anyway, as long as we understand two completely different things from RPG and roleplaying it's not worth to discuss further.

The thread also is derailed and some points are made are exactly not what i want, because i also ask to reduce the grind.
    I dont want to grind a passive resistance skill what need xxx Million xp.

You dont get what i want and your opinion about RP are just confusing for me.

20. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Its quite easy to explain. Stundorn wants systems that enable people to play together. Barugon says, it's just imagination anyway.
    One system leads to different people playing a game and getting together, the other one is SotA. :)

Gorthyn, Mykll, Hornpipe and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.