Decay yay or nay?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Corv, Feb 1, 2018.

?

Decay yay or nay

1. yay!

60 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. nay!

110 vote(s)
    64.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fonsvitae

fonsvitae Avatar

Well, 2 out of 3 want decay to cease; that is as loud and clear a message as can be heard.

Re caps, the gains are so tiny and the amounts needed to get them are so inordinate that there is no need for further capping via decay. Allow for the growth that dismantling decay will open up; allow avatars these small victories: they matter and will be quite an attraction for competitive gamers.

Re death having a sting, a stat/ constitutional loss is a fair trade off. Let it last on average 18 to 36 minutes; let its duration be tied to ones total experience (with a cap of one hour for the very strongest, say). Also, let its duration be calculated with in game time, i.e., should one log out, the remainder of this stat/ constitutional loss will await one upon logging back in.

That easily this game could get some of its groove back; that easily Britannia could be great again.

@Chris @Lord British it is time to try something new.

Mortanius and By Tor like this.
  2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

3. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

If we dont have decay we could instead break the gear to zero dura and it needs repair plus take away second durability. That would stimulate the economy longterm.

In exchange make crafting less random. That also helps low level chars and crafters to make better gear and be more competitive.

Less RNG + more sales and less frustration overall. @Chris

Bow Vale and Spoon like this.
  4. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

That would be even worse that the current implementation....

Barugon and By Tor like this.
  5. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

And how is that so? It tackles 2 problems if not 3 problems SotA has currently. Which is a static economy and punishing crafting and level system, where low tier crafting has zero value. Basic design mistake.

6. oplek

oplek Avatar

The poll seems kind of odd. "Let's take something that's specifically designed so that people don't like it, and ask them if they like it"

7. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Its not about whether you like it or not, its about whether its a good thing to have in the game.

Currently - benefits decay adds to the game = 0. (Its not slowing down hard-core player progression which was the supposed purpose of having it to begin with).
    It is however causing a number of negative side effects, such as hindering exploration, hindering grouping, hindering advancement for the non-hard-core grinder, and creating a mandatory 'cost per entry' grind to do any sort of content that could result in death.

As I said previously, these polls are a bit of a farce, because a large number of the people (not all, mind you) are not at the level where it is an issue so they think its 'fine'. Other 'yes lets have decay!' votes are from players who feel they can't catch up so lets slow people down, which is a poor reason to implement a system that in a few years time is going to hamper them just as much if not more than the people they're trying to slow down now.

A small number of "yes lets have decay!" folks simply like the hard-core punishment system. And that's okay. But that doesn't mean it should be inflicted on the entire playerbase, many of whom do not want to have a minimum grind investment to do anything else.

Most of the people who vote "no" are the ones for whom decay is causing a daily frustration, and putting limits on the gameplay that simply don't need to be there - such as participating in more difficult content, experimenting with different builds/gear, testing their mettle, helping people with quests, even - the risk to do such things is so far in excess of the potential reward that players are simply abstaining from any activity that isn't "safe." That's death penalty taken way, way too far.

Mortanius, Nikko, FrostII and 3 others like this.
  8. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

By tying death into (even more) durability loss of equipment you are making gear even more disposable than it is now. This actually hurts crafters who are struggling to make a profit on finished products because no one is willing to pay out 50k for an item that will break the first time they die. At the moment you can make more profit selling the resources than you can the finished product because the RNG screws you on exceptional, then again on getting the masterwork you want and then again on the enchant you want.

If dying took your durability down to 0 no one would bother with gear at all, the cost would be too high, crafters wouldn't bother making anything because they can't make any money and everyone would be running around with founders gear or add-on store because they don't break.

Nikko likes this.
  9. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

And those that like it obviously are too high level to actually care about it :p next level irony...

10. Oeneusc

Oeneusc Avatar

Are you saying that low level crafting has zero value because players have to sell their goods for less than the cost of materials and or the low quality items and failure rates are too high? Or are you saying that no one buys low end items or low end components that other crafters would use? I don't know because I have no desire to craft.

Kpopgurl likes this.
  11. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

I think almost all you said is true currently :D

12. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

The idea is that the more diverse your masteries are, the more fierce the pushback when you fail, to make it alot more difficult the closer you get to having all the things, to continue to try to get all the things.

Simply slowing endless progression doesnt make it challenging either, it makes it take longer.

I dont think gear decay alone accomplishes that.

13. Oeneusc

Oeneusc Avatar

I'm perpetually upgrading my junk with slightly better junk. If I lost all my junk to death I wouldn't be able to afford to replace even a few pieces. At least not in the short term. I would be forced to wear the worst, mismatched, horse blankets available. Hopeless attire for any respectable dance party.:D I wouldn't wear or buy anything of real value especially in an open PvP zone. This is coming from someone that gets his gold mostly from adventuring and scavenging. I'm not disagreeing with you about needed tweaks to crafting or resources that's just not my game.

14. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Im told im too low level to care, and told too high a level doesnt care, but im killing deamons and torcdawls and rise mages etc. i’ve also been told 80 is where it starts to hurt, and have met people lower level than me that have higher decay than me

I dont think its affecting a particular level person. I think its afecting a particularly diverse person

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  15. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Decay is based on each individual skill level, so some who reached adv level 80 but capped most skills at 80 will be lower decay then someone at adv level 80 that took less skills 100+.

generally the range of the most impact is between 80-100 depending on the build you choose and the time you have to put in. Some builds are more geared toward specific areas that can generate enough exp to cover those loses, other builds not so much. And this is the difference between making 60-70K in an hour to 300-500k an hour. But then there is another big gap between making 3-500k an hour to where you can make 1 mill an hour at the control points, which I am pretty sure no one is there solo’ing, yet.

If Decay is suppose to flow people down just make skills cost more exp. wow we slow down and people are continuously moving forward.

If it’s suppose to drive you people out of the game then great, it’s working as intended.

If it’s just a punishment for death, then find something else this punishment is too steep and destroy’s group play and adventuring.

16. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Its not that it slows. Its a pushback to make it difficult to achieve higher and higher levels. Without pushback, its just you play longer, you’re stronger

Decay makes where you play longer but die alot, your not getting as strong as you play longer and dont die as much. Its harder

17. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Your assessment of that would work if there was an end date to your playing. So if Decay makes player A and Player B, who started together, quit on the same day then the player who died the least would have the better skills with more Exp applied. The flaw there is in the fact that the evaluation period requires an end, if player A and Player B continue playing then the player with the least amount of deaths would advance faster and the player dying would be slowed down. So it has a slowing effect on people who are sadistic enough to continue repeating grind after grind just to maintain and raise.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  18. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

No if you die more than someone and you both progress endlessly you will cap at some point where if youre dying at all, you will not progress in skill any longer. The one dying more will “cap” lower than the one not dying as much. A finish line is not required

19. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Here is my assessment of all these decay posts:
    Based on 100 people and my own bias opinions

10 people - just quit or will never Pickup the game period. ExP-Decay sucks they know it and other games won’t put them trhrough it.

10 people - can’t stand the fact that exp decay makes them feel like they are wasting their precious time when playing because time put in is then taken away through decay. These people haven’t quit yet, but increasing levels and future changes will ultimately push them to quit.

30 people - really don’t like decay and would prefer a different option then losing exp. they are to a point where decay is impacting them but, they are still managing.

30 people -are really not to a point where decay impacts them and they are split based on what they have read/experiences in the game.

10 people - just craft and dance. As long as there is a Party they really don’t care about decay because it doesn’t impact them in town.

10 people - really like to punish themselves and others and would even like to see there character deleted on death so they can repeat the entire process.

Over time as adventure level increasing the same 100 people would be:

80 people - quit decay and repetitive grinding finally made them rethink the time commitment to the game.

10 people - are wondering why there are no parties anymore and what game everyone else is playing so they can go to more parties.

10 people - finished this game long ago it was difficult but the put their 1000 hours in and moved on to the next game that told them it be challenging.

Mortanius, Ajivani, FrostII and 3 others like this.
  20. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Can I ask you how you got 110 levels without grinding? just curious. 100% of the players I know ingame grinded xp to be able to get that level (105+), and some of them with intense grind periods (months of CPs or solo dungeons like Rise of K'rul)

* 1-110 xp required: 356,313,871

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    nonaware and Fister Magee like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.