Decay yay or nay?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Corv, Feb 1, 2018.

?

Decay yay or nay

1. yay!

60 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. nay!

110 vote(s)
    64.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

Yah I argued against decay when they were first considering it. And the big problem then was people keep seeing it as an issue that would not effect them. The thing is those people kept leveling and as more people starting hitting more and more decay then they started to figure out this wasn't such a great idea. Decay was a bad idea at the start. It came out of people that were for lack of a better word jealous of people who were at high levels. They didn't stop to think about what would happen when they hit the same levels. Now the devs have change the decay multiple times lowering it over and over as more people hit it and freaked out. I wish that the message would get across that decay is not a good idea and was implemented because people were jealous and not because it was needed or actually prevented the jealousy. What it did was modify players behaviors at the determent of the entire community. People switch to conservation play with to reduce risk, stopped going out for groups, and many just stopped playing all together because the social aspect was the main reason they wanted to play.

FrostII, Toadster, Beli and 2 others like this.
  2. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

[/QUOTE]

The game isn't profitable at those lower levels, if you do the math you better pay for xp and skip the trouble.

:/

And all this talk about not gaming the game... poof.

That curse is really powerful stuff, the obsidian eye looks like it knows his/her way around...

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  3. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

[​IMG]

Corvynn likes this.
  4. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Yeah, I'm not against this on principle. You'd just need to find the sweet spot where grouping > soloing for both parties, that's the difficulty.

5. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

So....50% less death decay if you die while in a group?

Nikko likes this.
  6. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

THen it's settled. Decay is great.

7. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

what we did in UO during RP. I know you might not be role play. What we did is assigned roles to people to train lower levels. We had levels in the guild for EX. Gen. Major. Sergeant. lieutenant, private. In order to gain levels in the guild we would have the people a level above you adventure with you. You where required to fulfill a task. It might be to gather x amount of hides. You would turn those hides into the guild supplier and he would tell the GM of your duties. This would give a job to the people starting out and would give valuable exp as an officer while leveling. The materials gained during these missions where used to give the recruits or new players gear to accomplish the missions. This gives meaning to the game. This gives a sense of pride and accomplishment to the players. It gives responsibility to your officers. So you yourself do not have to be the be all end all for everything. You are a guild, a team, a force.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  8. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

I don't think anything got settled.
    Decay sucks (66% on the poll agree at the time of posting).

9. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

The game isn't profitable at those lower levels, if you do the math you better pay for xp and skip the trouble.

:/

And all this talk about not gaming the game... poof.

That curse is really powerful stuff, the obsidian eye looks like it knows his/her way around...[/QUOTE]
    *zzzrrrrrkttttckkkk*

10. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Some of the best fun I had in this game was at lower levels.

Used to constantly try new places, see if I was up to the next tier of zone yet, see if our small group of folks could take down something Big, dying repeatedly learning the tactics to do so, trying out different skills, equipments, decks and learning how stuff worked. And then it was going back to previous stomping grounds and relishing the feeling of how much better I am at it months later, really feeling like I've accomplished something. Course this was all before decay was a thing.

I think its sad that people who started playing after the implementation of decay. Its not the same game anymore, once you get up to that range where you might start thinking about going 'beyond' 5-skull content, the decay/punishment gets to be too much and the reward for the time you spend ends up being negative. And I've lost many many friends because of it who have gone on to play games that they don't have to worry about constantly grinding against attrition in.. That 'try try again' aspect of the game is all but gone once you start shelling out hours of exp for one more go; I use QA server as my testing ground and only do stuff on Live that I'm reasonably confident I can steamroll. And I know I'm not the only one.

People play for different motivations. Some want to just get high level so they can do big things or PvP, and that's okay. Some want to relish every step of the journey, and that's okay too. Others want to do the social aspect, group up with friends, adventure together, decorate, go to parties -and that's also okay. Sadly, decay hampers everyone regardless of your goal.

Those aren't bothered by it are either:
    a) not high enough for it to matter
    b) spend so much time grinding that its not a major setback
    or
    c) take pleasure in the hardcore punishment grind xp tax 'game is a job' thing.

And hey, no judgement - its completely reasonable that some people LIKE to get punched in the face. Doesn't mean that its a good policy for the general public, though.

Nikko, FrostII, Xandra7 and 4 others like this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I know it's not a popular opinion but I like decay. If anything, it makes me try really hard not to die, which has caused me to improve my build tremendously.

12. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Well im somehow simultanously not high enough level for it to matter and capable of beyond tier 5 stuff which is why im not entirely convinced a big part of the feedback is I want all the levels, coupled with the psychological torment of seeing a number decrease, even tho its not stopping your progress.

Another part of the reason i think that is that in the past, some folks felt having a XP debt would be better, when it fact its worse under the hood because it compeltely halts your progress when you die, whereas decay does not.

The fact that "the level it begins to hurt" keeps varying based on who says what level they are and how many skills they have decided to master makes it seem even more like its just heartache of watching a number go down.

Tho the log on, die, log off, repeat thing some folks do seems to be a real hinderance

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  13. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Avatar

This feels like it would make attending dance parties practically compulsory, and I find that idea anathema.

14. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

ZOh no you wouldn't have to do it unless you were trying to fight your hourly exp average. You wouldn't even deal with decay unless you die like it currently is. It would just change the death decay amount to a rate that in based off an average versus a fix number so that the amount doesn't go beyond what you average over a certain period of time for 30 mins of exp.

15. Tetsu Nevara

Tetsu Nevara Avatar

Decay is still the worst and a true game killer.

FrostII and kaeshiva like this.
  16. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

Agreed as I said before decay is terrible but if we're forced to have it lets get it to where it's not effecting people incorrectly.

17. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

Your obviously not PvPing with the top tier Pvpers then..... or you started very close to persistence.

18. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

HA HA HA HA HA.........I started almost a year late and yes I PVP with the TOP PVPers I'm a PVP healer........

Mac2 likes this.
  19. Lyndoman

Lyndoman Avatar

Death makes you more aware of life.

Barugon and Tahru like this.
  20. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I love it when so few words speak plain and simple truth.

Lyndoman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.