Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Death Penalty is Too Low

Discussion in 'Release 51 Feedback Forum' started by Black Tortoise, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

That is exactly the problem.... most players gave up even posting on this subject because @Chris doesn’t listen and it just gets locked. Players have quit and other are planning on quitting if it doesn’t change soon. It was always my understanding that Port was trying to build a player base to support the game, not drive people out who have been here since the beginning.

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

LOL, this always cracks me up.

3. Koss

Koss Avatar

Totally agree here!

Black Tortoise and Barugon like this.
  4. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Nice try.
    But this is a emotional and subjective topic. Not even Chris providing numbers helped.
    We got a couple of vocal ppl that just hate the system and that won't change. Ever.

Numa and Barugon like this.
  5. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Mathematically taking skills over 120 with the current amount of XP generated and the amount of improvement gained is not cost effective. We start approaching several hundred million XP as the skill level raises past 100. We already have soft skill caps in place with the exponential increase in Experience required to level.

If someone wants to grind 100 million XP for a minimal increase in power, let them do so. If a problem develops implement more diminished returns for skills over 100.

More carrot and less stick or the horse die.

6. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Ah well - - -
    there is more than one part of this game that have caused this issue -

1st the fact that the game as a whole is to easy - play and surviving at level 80 is fine. Developers are going to sit back and tell everyone there is no need to go over 80 because you can do almost anything you want. If you party up you can go higher.

2nd because of #1 AND that enough of the player have power gamed to insanely higher levels developers are being forced to cater to creating content to appease them and keep them happy.

3rd more and more players are eclipsing this level 80 and have achieved what was put in as the designed soft cap (decay) (( yeah it sucks yeah they system is flawed because of what was already allowed to happen, but Decay works to try and reign everyone in))

The major problem is the core of the game and its idea failed (this has to be accepted / fixed). Power gamers got way out of touch - normal gamers have over exceeded expectations and designed limits.

When they decided to go into persistence and stand true to no wipes they dug this grave.

Now there is no way out - the sycophants are dug in - the dedicated players are sitting on the edge - new players? they are going to enter and see what has happened and what the future looks like?

Launch in 2 weeks will be very interesting.

As it stands now no one can do anything but sit back and go for the ride, you do not have to enjoy it (that is the problem).

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  7. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

The balanced way to solve it - hit 100 level - only PVP, hope we will come to it (you can choose any number may be 105)

8. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

This has always been my issue with decay from jump. Decay doesn't hurt me so much given my AL of 80, but it is a nuisance given how casually I play the game. Moreover, trying to get folks to go try and "take on a dragon" or anything remotely difficult has been curtailed because at those higher levels decay can be lethal. How is that fun? My favorite part of Shroud is grouping up with people and trying stuff that would be impossible alone, but with a few of us together...who knows!?

I still don't get why their can't be some kind of timed XP "debuff", linked to resurrection, with a cap after three deaths. This way I'm not losing XP from my pool, ergo, skill levels. Yet, I am penalized by not generating full XP either, for a period of time. Doesn't this make more sense? The grind is bad enough as it is, the thought of going back to grind levels up again is not fun to me.

9. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

When talking about the death penalty, I think it would be more mashed potatoes if we would use the words "mashed potatoes" instead of meaningful.

Black Tortoise and Alley Oop like this.
  10. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I can see why you have no problem with decay - after seeing your attunements and build in another thread:
    I'm guessing the 10k xp daily bonus pretty much covers a good part of what you lose on a death.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  11. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

That is funny. :)

This release I dumped althe majority of my skills to raise my Taming Specializations to 100 (at 99 now). I needed to know how that will affect taming as a whole. Everything from spell and bludgeon skills plus all tactics, subfutuge, and focus. Years of skills were brought down to 1, 40, or 80 ( where they were locked by the next up glyph).

So it may seem like I don’t have much Experience at all with the low spell attunement. I do, now 90% of all experience in Taming.

Black Tortoise likes this.
  12. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

And your xp penalty on 1st death is ?

13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I think decay is just right. Just enough to be REAL consequence. It makes me think hard about taking on that red enemy (and the orange one too). It makes me plan out my skills better and prepare better to survive those tough situations. I'm generally pretty quiet but, to all of you who want easy mode, I will argue vehemently against removing decay. It is one of the elements that makes this game truly unique.

14. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Indeed it does .
    Punishment for desiring forward progress ! Whata concept..........

Greyfox likes this.
  15. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

When my skill points were spread out it was 50K forthe first death.

Black Tortoise likes this.
  16. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Now this is funny!!!! Unique as I one of kind? As in the only game that put in skill decay? Hmm.... I believe there are/were a few other games that tried this and they either took it out, nerfed it to be inconsequential, or lost their playerbase and went under. Not really how I want release to go.

Budner, kaeshiva, Mykll and 2 others like this.
  17. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Since it was important enough to send me a PM, I must say, for me, impermanence in this game world is a major aspect of what I enjoy.

The skill of not-dying is the most important skill to master. Without significant penalty on death, such a meta-skill does not exist.

If everything, or almost everything I obtain is permanent, then the game is nothing more than a long sequence of button mashing FTW to me.

Perhaps you disagree :)

A paltry 6k! I am adv lvl 76 at the time of this post. I still think exp loss is a weak mechanism overall, but if thats going to be the only death penalty, then I think I should lose about 30k or so. I can get 6k exp back in a minute or two. I wouldnt argue against losing 60k, or 10x as much!

I understand it scales.

I declare those scared of loosing their massive exps to be false warriors! A true warrior holds her or his title, and masters the skill of not-dying!

Not a bad idea, but 1/4 less for 60 mins feels weak. I fear no such deaths. The game world feels so fake and non immersive if there is no penalty to jumping off huge cliffs for fun. My avatar should fear jumping off a mountain! How about 90% exp loss for 60 mins? :-D

I calculated that statement against the Huge Corpions I am currently killing. Theyre giving me just over 1500 exp each, and I can fight 3-4 at once. Theyre green to me. This post was inspired by a Darkstarr Corpion that got a crit on its poison on me, and killed me in a few seconds. I was scared for a moment, then laughed my pants off when I saw only 6k exp was lost! I feel like my avatar should be forced to have better judgement, and fear that Darkstarr Corpion. Instead, I brazenly kited it around the zone and killed it, surviving with only a few hps left the next time. Id rather be afraid of deadly monsters, and be forced to "level up" before returning to something that kicked my butt. At this rate, I could just laugh at a dragon's snout for fun. I should be terrified of the consequences!

I am aware. Ive been playing the game since R10. Im quite familiar with the champions of our community.

Again... *musters up RP voice* ... real warriors master the skill of not-dying. False warriors cling to the ideals of permanence. If you want to hold the title of championship above your head, you must contemplate the contingency of impermanence, and understand the mighty fall when they relax. Grandmasters live in a world of contingency. Sheep live in a world of safety and materialism!*

Otherwise, its just a matter of time until everyone is master-of-everything!

As for the warriors youve mentioned, if they fall, then they deserve not the title of master of the arts of combat!

* (I speak this in an RP context - Id like actual warriors to be "a thing" in the game, and not something you just achieve by default by clicking buttons a lot. Please dont take anything personally! My RP warrior-spirit is strong on this topic!)

A straw argument, and thy insult blows across my chest like chaff in the wind!

Srsly now, what I am vouching for is a world that commands strategy, cunning, skill, awareness, and respect. I want the beasts of the land and the bowels of the dungeons to be feared! This is not about making it harder on me, but making us all band together with true skill to breach the borders of danger and death.

First off, let me say that loot != pvp - monsters can and should loot you, if theyre the sort of monster that could actually advantage from it. Maybe a corpion eats your fine leather tunic. Maybe a troll steals your halberd. A skeleton arms itself with your mace, or, having been a pirate in its former life, steals your gold. A wolf or bear would care little for your gear or gold. A bandit takes everything she or he can carry. This can be done without implying other players are the looters.

Secondly, yes - you all want a thriving economy? Townies that dont have to face combat ever? Then object impermanence is necessary. PoTs covering the map become so much more relevant if adventurers are forced to walk back to a safe town and re-equip. And you dont need to be looted naked all the time, just need a new shield, maybe resupply food or potions, or a new axe. Part of the reason the economy is so slow is the fact that people are obsessed with material permanence (item decay is weaksauce atm).

Fellow adventurer, seek out other warriors from which to learn, and with whom to train! Fight weaker monsters until thy strategy is honed! Gather resources from easier locations until thy pockets have the gold for a sharper spear!

The art of not-dying takes patience and practice.

Indeed! This does not mean I dont want it to be even more consequential than that, though.

Excellent! You fear the boundary of death and the perils of the land! Stay in thy tavern and have another drink, leave the adventuring for the truest of warriors!

I must admit, if I am true to my steel, and able to dodge an internal bias... I actually agree with you (for some of your points).

OMG I LOVE THIS IDEA! Best solution yet!!!!!

...so long as there is ample reward for the slaying of the highest level PVP'ers :)

As it should be! The slaying of dragons should be the stuff of legend! Only the mightest warriors in the land should boast the mounted heads of such beasts. How is it fun? The significance of the kill itself is fun! How is it fun if you can just button mash everything and die and just run back into the fray and not care about any consequence? What legends haunt the lands of Novia, what tales are told in its taverns, if a fallen troll is a trivial matter?

Also, a full group of AL 80s shouldnt have a problem with a regular dragons. I think your group needs to rethink the tactics.

Yes, we are all penalized for not having much skill in the art of not-dying.

The grind is a completely separate issue. That can be revised in its own way, over time.

Psycked, Barugon and jammaplaya like this.
  18. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

One of the problems is the game, net, or comp can glitch and a high lev avatar can lose a lot of exp! The death penalty is harsh as you get into higher levels. You can lose an hr's worth of exp to one death and often it's due to nothing but plain old lag. In any event, I doubt many people want a tougher death penalty.

FrostII likes this.
  19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Apparently, there are a number of people who just want "can I play, daddy?" mode.

Onyx, Black Tortoise and liz_the_wiz like this.
  20. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Do you all really see he did not say Decay - He said Death Penalty - it is just plain junk PERIOD

Decay was set in to try and reign in other issues.

It was once discussed about corpses and you had to get back to it to look stuff - not necessarily a loss but would prevent running in like and idiot and just res safely and start over.

Death needs to mean something - DECAY IS NOT THE ANSWER - but something needs to be there.

how about if your do not get to your corpse your items are locked up for 24 real hours then you can visit the oracle and claim your items just like a ransom.

Get you your corpse no issues.

Ressed at an ahnk you have 5 minutes to get your body back failure and oyu lose 25 - 50% of your skills for a certain amount of time. Get your corpse then you have a proportional penalty 1 minute = 10 minutes , 2 = 20 , 3 = 30, 4 = 45, full 5 = 60 ??? Ressed by a player and you get 25 minutes - prob not an issue there but . . .

Decay is working as designed it is the game that has failed in front of it, sorry

In the end Death means nothin, decay sucks and fails at it intended purpose.

Try and give 2 ideas for fixes if you do not like death and or decay, not just it is broken.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.