Telethon part two

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Jun 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Just to confirm part two of the telethon is friday, this is an extention correct? If we put in $5 we can still get in on the reward action.

Does it also run till midnight?

2. Terrence Phillip

Terrence Phillip Avatar

Where did you hear there was going to be a second part to the telethon this Friday?

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

in the telethon

4. Lained

Lained Avatar

Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/269384363?t=03h24m28s

5. Kalidorn

Kalidorn Avatar

Darkstarr couldn't make Friday (due to his vacation) and they felt it effecting the telethon so Chris is taking up the mantel for Friday to continue from where they left off at midnight last night.

6. Pebbles

Pebbles Avatar

Whoa! How did we miss the Telethon yesterday?

7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I saw a notice on FB, otherwise, I'd have never known about it. Probably not Port's fault; I'm sure I just glossed over all info on the date and time because I "already know" it's the Friday of the week following a release.

8. Corv

Corv Avatar

Suggestion:
    @DarkStarr is a great guy, so is @Chris and the whole team for that matter, but me personally, when I initially pledged, I pledged because it was a @Lord British project and I am not alone ;) . So I guess it would help a lot if he himself would be in Austin to lead the telethon?

edit:
    vod of yesterday's Telethon is here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/269384363?t=03h24m55s
    with timestamp 03:24:55 where Starr tells us about the additional stream on Friday.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  9. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Helvig Ingvildsdottir Avatar

That was the first telethon I missed since I started playing. I didn't miss it on purpose. Bad choice of time, and a theme that was not appealing enough to really get my brain fixed on the date despite its inconvenience. Good they are repeating it on Friday. Still not crazy about the choice of rewards, but hey, it's going to be fun anyways.

10. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I think the theme was fairly good. What I'd have suggested is making sure that the available rewards are things you can show, so players can imagine what they will be in-game.

For example, the top tiers for this telethon were:
    The first is very vague; what does a Polynesian Bow look like compared to other bows in the game? Even a quick google didn't give me any really good images. And the other two weapons were not specified at all, which was poor planning. The daemon-themed armor sounds interesting, but again I couldn't find anything to see what this would mean.

To grab players attention, make sure these top-tier items are things that players want to reach by showing, not telling.

As a suggestion, I think one of those weapons at 90K should have been a Kris. While technically this is Malaysian rather than Polynesian, its not a stretch for the region. Additionally, the Kris was a weapon that had a fairly large following in UO, so adding this back here would be a big draw. This wouldn't preclude adding it later either; the Kris can be a dagger, shortshord, or longsword, so this might just be one of those.

If you wanted to continue in this theme, you might have considered adding things like a hula skirt, tattoo patterns (invisible clothing that just applied tribal tattoos), or even a canoe (we've all seen Moana).

For a future telethon, could I suggest a Norse theme, more focused on the Norgard Barbarians?

11. Corv

Corv Avatar

very good ideas!

12. Oeneusc

Oeneusc Avatar

The tropical theme isn't appealing. I think there are other patterns such as plate armor and wands that would generate more interest. If it's going to be tropical they could carefully pull ideas from Worlds of Ulitma: The Savage Empire. Blowgun, crystal brain, obsidian knife, Krukk's shield, spear of Shamp, Myrmidex stuff, ect.

13. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

I would have missed it, except I happened to check Twitch after work and see it was on. Total coincidence. Having it on Monday definitely makes it easy to miss.

14. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

Pretty selfless of him to do so. Thanks, @Chris!

15. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

Anytime I get to spend virtually with the Portalarium team is good by me! Good friends that I'm always willing to help out! Gonna toss in some more cash to make this telethon a success.

16. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Woulda got way more cash if one of the rewards had been the tiki statue from the Brady Bunch.

17. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

Fixed that for you. While it may not have been appealing to you, those of us that like Polynesian culture (which includes Samoans, Māori, Tongans, etc) found the choice of weaponry, designs and emotes quite appealing and timed well for the season.

18. Adrian (Kung Fu Master)

Adrian (Kung Fu Master) Avatar

Would be a better theme to celebrate LB birthday.

19. Kalidorn

Kalidorn Avatar

I have Tiki Tattoos and tiki stuff everywhere much to my wife's dismay so a fire breathing Tiki for my house in game would be AWESOME. Also I could put it up without hearing a oh gawd not another one hehe. :)

20. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I personally think "themed" anything (especially seasonal or one day holiday events) has been a failure, most of them sit in my chests and vendors unsold.

worst ever: Mardi Gras
    Best Ever: Dark Starr

Basically the only people who use them are the dance party gang for deco. Another thing they let be driven by their small, vocal and preferred group of players.

Innascual Inch and K1000 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.