Why OPO sucks ? (Dev) Replied

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by addrox, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Owain

Owain Avatar

It does not give PvPers an exalted role, only a different one. If PvP is consensual, the no one's enjoyment costs anyone anything.

2. Glimbel

Glimbel Avatar

I don't see any reason why OPO should not be the most MMO possible it can be. This is what a lot of people wants, and it wouldn't hurt those who want to play it as it is already planned to be played.
    They could even do the OPO as they wished, and then, another level called MMO, plain and simple.

3. Owain

Owain Avatar

The thing about OPO, it may be a better way to implement an MMO anyway. I currently play Lord of the Rings Online, an MMO. When I am out adventuring, I frequently go for hours, and never see anyone. UO was that way also. Many places were totally deserted. In Lotro, often, I only see other players (other than those from my guild who I may be grouped with) when I return to town to sell stuff. Then, at times, the display is too crowded, particularly in the bank, filled with people I am uninterested in, and whom I would prefer to go somewhere else. Again, in UO the bank was also congested, and frequently a lag magnet.

In SotA, out in the wilderness, the game is trying to put me and players it thinks might be of interest to me together. That is a mechanism unlike any in any MMO I know of, and I've played a dozen or more. Ultimately, SotA may appear more populated in OPO when I am out and about than most MMOs, since the population is actively managed, bringing people together when adventuring, but yet limiting when in the cities to prevent a feeling of overcrowding and congestion.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  4. Glimbel

Glimbel Avatar

Yeah, this make sense, Owain.
    Put this way, OPO makes sense. I had not thought of that.
    Also, the fact that the map is not an open map, but basically a gateway to differents '3d smalls worlds', it really makes sense.

I don't know what to think, now ! We'll see, I guess.

5. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

[edit]Sorry Owain. I wrote this while you were composing yours. I'll let it stand with the understanding that it address your earlier post.

That's right Owain. You want a role different than others. Separate development time, separate rewards, separate areas, whatever. You want to play your way, so we should accommodate everyone else to your way, the crafters, the merchants, the explorers, the PvEers, the RPers and every player that doesn't want to be at risk of being killed by another player.

I get the design, and I understand the filters and the quests. It seems they've already given PvP the nod. But I will resist any efforts to make the world at large more accommodating to PvP.

6. antalicus

antalicus Avatar

The only reason i want more rewards from the pvp zone is so that there is reason to go in them and they arent dead because there otherwise would be a clear advantage to be in a non pvp zone.

Let me also reiterate. If there is no advantage of leveling or hunting in a pvp zone people will remain in non pvp zones until they are maxed out and pop in the pvp zone and slaughter people. you can accomplish more quicker when there is no risk of dieing and losing your gear. The whole aspect of a pure pvp server is your are risking life and gear every step of the way not just when you want to pvp.

7. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

That argument is based on the idea there is no "risk" in non-PvP zones. What is so special about the risk PvPers pose that something similar or equivalent can't be designed for non PvP zones? Is it impossible to design something more challenging than a PKer or PvPer?

Furthermore, trammel/UO proved that given the choice people with no interest in PvP will just not enter PvP zones no matter what rewards you place in them (and there have been numerous efforts over the years). What makes you think it'll be any different in SotA*?

*unless it is essential (or near) to game progress which doesn't count because then it isn't optional.

8. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

PKs to me are not a risk, they're just an annoyance. The end effect is no different than being hit with a lag spike or disconnect that causes you to die and lose everything. The basic setup is one where as the victim there is no chance of being able to fight back or regain what you have lost. That is why I disagree with the idea of making PvE areas or the whole world PvP-Enabled.

PvP, if done correctly, can be a challenge and an enjoyable part of the game, but it has to be one that has its OWN rewards outside of the PvE area and one where each side opts in knowing the rules and possibilities. That's why I have no problem with the concepts being put forward about town sieges and specific quests being PvP-Enabled.

9. Vianla

Vianla Avatar

@Antalicus

So what you're saying is PVP isn't interesting enough to stand on its own even for the PVP crowd, and the only way you can get people to participate is to add PVE to it. I think you're wrong..

Giving additional crafting or leveling rewards for PVP areas to keep the zone full is not a great answer, people either wait until they are maxed out or they will only go there for the bare minimum amount of time and leave. Either way your zone is still mostly dead, all of the PVE people will detest going there, and they will fight you tooth and nail to not have this implemented.

Wouldn't it be much better to make PVP actually fun and deep enough that PVP in and of itself is reason enough to go to an area. Don't punish the PVE crowd for not enjoying PVP, make PVP fun for them too and it will sustain itself without fake incentives.

Maybe there could be small, non story line / housing, villages to siege and fight over, something with a purpose that does not detract from the PVE experience but is awesome enough to stand on its own. Do I have the perfect answer for how to do that, no or I would be rich :)

10. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

You want some areas where you have to PvP if you want some resource. OK, how about another area where you have to join me and me mates and roll the bones for the next round. Oh, and then you have to go to a play. Then you'll get your resource.

11. Owain

Owain Avatar

"That?s right Owain. You want a role different than others. Separate development time, separate rewards, separate areas, whatever. You want to play your way, so we should accommodate everyone else to your way, the crafters, the merchants, the explorers, the PvEers, the RPers and every player that doesn?t want to be at risk of being killed by another player."

To put it delicately, nonsense, although I had another word in mind.

If you play FPO, or if you play OPO in towns or cities, what will you be missing in playing OPO outside of cities, if full PvP is enabled? Nothing that I can see. If I am over looking something, tell me what that might be.

You don't want to be PKd, or take part in PvP. You can do that in FPO. If you want to meet people you don't already know, go to a city, switch to OPO and stand on a street corner or go to an inn and make friends. They can come back with you to FPO, and again, you can get exactly the game play you want.

I on, the other hand, can ONLY get the game I want, developers willing, in OPO. Who then, between the two of us, is requiring the other to sacrifice his play style for the other. You can have yours, in several different ways. SPO, FPO, and OPO in cities to meet people you don't already know.

What am I missing?

12. antalicus

antalicus Avatar

Well said owain.

13. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

You're creating gulags. Are you saying that I should give up a mode of play (OPO) except in towns? That anyone playing OPO that doesn't want to PvP should just stay walled up in their towns and villages?

14. Owain

Owain Avatar

you got OPO to towns to meet new people you can't meet in FPO. you all go back to FPO and get the exact game you want.

15. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

We're offered 3 types of online play: single player, Multiplayer with friends and MMO-like for friends and strangers alike. Except I don't get to play the MMO part except in a city? Oh, will I never meet the lumberjack of my dreams?

16. Owain

Owain Avatar

There are reasons why 3 modes are offered. Single play, PvE, PvP, you don't have to have access to all 3 to get the play style you want.

17. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

So the answer is no. I will never meet the lumberjack of my dreams.

18. Owain

Owain Avatar

Why not? Lumberjacks have to come to town now and then as well.

19. Owain

Owain Avatar

Maybe the devs will put up a SotA-Match.com, and you can post a profile: love walks along the beach and downing great redwoods with a double bladed axe.

20. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

I've been waiting for Owain to pull out his shiny "hire me then and I'll protect you from the big bad PKs with my clan of anti-PK" gem yet Mugly. Dont know how much longer he can hold that one back, must be dying to unload that on you.

The jist of it is, some guys like Owain and myself really just want to find that lumberjack of your dreams, cut his head off and nail it to the tree, and when you find that, same thing to you.

I am more obvious about it than others. I prefer the direct non-BS route where as Owain obviously prefers the coydog get what I want RPing as an anti-PK road.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.