Why OPO sucks ? (Dev) Replied

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by addrox, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

At no point has it been stated that they wish to design an economy that is PvP centered.

Until there is a statement from RG on PvP and economy I will keep discussing PvP that allows for people to bow out of PvP and still be able to part take in the full aspects of the game.

2. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

I'm sorry, but I will continue to object to any system that gives a privileged status to PvP, such as, only PvP gets these resources or only PvP gets to play OPO. PvP as a playstyle is no more important than any other.

3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

FPO will completely be used to circumvent the PvP centered Economy. I find it hard to believe they desire this kind of setup.

4. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

There should be no special rewards for playing pvp, as well as pvp should not be forced on others. The focus of this game is not pvp from everything that I have read.

5. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Yet PvP should be meaningful and present in as many situations as possible.

6. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Sure, for those that want it, not everyone.

7. Owain

Owain Avatar

"FPO will completely be used to circumvent the PvP centered Economy. I find it hard to believe they desire this kind of setup."

How so?

8. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

@OWAIN Man you are making my ears bleed already buddy.

I want to PK everything in sight as well, including little crafty carebears. Of course I get why you do also, man it makes me as hard as a rock too.

I have to be realistic though, given how the game has been configured to work with multiple different modes, and seemingly one housing/goods economy, this game is never going to allow us to PK crafters and fishermen freely.

As I said in some other post, our roles will have to be very tightly configured. We're going to have to camp out the areas which normal players will be entering with "agreed risk" If you have listened to LB at all, players who wish to smuggle or take on other risky adventures will be at risk of being killed by evil PKers such as myself and you

I simply wish they would come out and say this in plain english, so people like you could move past it, and get on with better suggestions than "ME PK ME KILL"

Hillel Slovak and God like this.
  9. Owain

Owain Avatar

If the devs were to cover PvP better, there would be no need for discussion. Since they haven't, I have to think they are undecided, and are still collecting input.

Some people have sugessted that the design is set, and they are just tweaking it. LB has said that even the magic system has not been designed, other than it will use words of power, like 'corp por'. For a system that just needs tweaks, there is a whole lot currently undefined.

I'm just supplying input, as requested.

10. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

You overlook the mechanics of the engine. Even in what they call open player, there isn't really going to be a chance to catch many people to just walk up to and gank.

The fact that they are still working on PvP doesn't mean they are ever thinking about putting it into the game on a huge scale, they just aren't going to do that. They would just be working on the mechanics of PvP where PvP will already be allowed, smuggling.

It isn't the days of UO any longer, PvP is not something that is a huge part of many games. There are games out there for it, and I play them, but don't think this is going to be one of them. I'd bet if you want to compare PvP in this game, you'll have to compare it to WoW.

11. Owain

Owain Avatar

I'm not sure what you mean by the engine. The issue is how players are filtered. If the filter can be player configured, then I will have better control over who I can see, and who I cannot see. As an Anti PK, I would prioritize guild mates and enemies. PKs would have a different priority. Miners/lumberjacks a different priority as well.

The game engine will be putting players together depending on their style of play. I would hope that as a player, i have a say in how the engine prioritizes that process. One size should not fit all.

12. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

Engine will limit amount of connected players, thus engine has a direct effect on play. Filter or not.

13. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

@Owain, "How so?"

Example: I am out fishing, then InsaneMembrane pops up and PvPs me, loots me, runs off to his vendor to sell his hard earned loot. - PvP centered economy.

Example: I am out fishing, then InsaneMembrane pops up and PK's me, waits for me to come back, again I am sent to the grave, rinse repeat till I change to FPO, I finish my fishing, run off to my vendor and sell what is left of my hard earned loot. Lesson learned, when I fish I fish in FPO. - PvP centered economy avoided.

14. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

And for more clarification. I want the example of InsaneMembrane PvPing the fisherman to be possible.

However, I do not want InsaneMembrane to be able to PK someone until they log off and uninstall.

So the switch to FPO is one option, or my suggestion on a method of using the filter to ensure that those that do not wish to ever see players like InsaneMembrane will never do so.

BUT if the purpose of PvP is to control the economy then both of those options will allow players to avoid PvP and in turn avoid that control.

15. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

The ability for players to switch on the fly to FPO makes me feel like I am going to start to cry :(

16. Haddy G

Haddy G Avatar

I hope we learn something about what they plan with pvp soon. I guess full loot is out. See here. https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?topic=item-loss-decay I suppose this could change, but we'll see.

17. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I could care less about full loot for those that want to play that way.

18. Owain

Owain Avatar

@InsaneMembrane: "Engine will limit amount of connected players, thus engine has a direct effect on play. Filter or not."

Depends on how the engine is implemented. The rough design is that the engine will steer players together, thus, even though SotA is not a traditional MMO, it may actually feel more crowded than a typical MMO.

In MMOs I've played, from UO to GW2, areas outside of cities sometimes feel deserted, while cities are overcrowded. This is because a typical MMO doesn't actively manage player density.

FPO currently is designed to steer friends together. OPO as it now stands prioritizes that to something like guildmates, friends, people with the same skill level, and so forth. I think that idea could be expanded so that
    F
    PO is more like the current OWO plane, only without PvP, and in OWO, PKs are steered towards target, Anti-PKs are steered towards PKs, and noncombatants are steered towards Anti's for protection, and given warnings of PKs. This would require work to balance properly, but in the end could make SotA multiplayer more active than your traditional MMO.

19. Owain

Owain Avatar

The first line of the last paragraph got corrupted somehow. this is how it should have read:

Under my suggestion, FPO would be more like the current OWO plan...

20. Owain

Owain Avatar

@Ristra: "Example: I am out fishing, then InsaneMembrane pops up and PvPs me, loots me, runs off to his vendor to sell his hard earned loot. ? PvP centered economy."

Depends upon what the dev's have in mind for loot. They have said no full loot, to this may have minimal impact. We'll see what they come up with, and then discuss.

"Example: I am out fishing, then InsaneMembrane pops up and PK?s me, waits for me to come back, again I am sent to the grave, rinse repeat till I change to FPO, I finish my fishing, run off to my vendor and sell what is left of my hard earned loot. Lesson learned, when I fish I fish in FPO. ? PvP centered economy avoided."

If you go back to the same spot, you violate a fundamental principle of combat, which is that you must be unpredictable. And it is combat, even as a fisherman, since even if you are only on the receiving end with no offensive capability of your own, you are in a combat situation, and must act accordingly. If you are unwilling to do that, FPO is probably your best option, as you note, but that is not necessarily a fault of the OPO system I've described, but a fault in the tactics you employed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.