Why OPO sucks ? (Dev) Replied

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by addrox, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Your example of FPO seems to work also. Will be interesting to see the dev's end results.

The reason I add the visibility is so that players to not use FPO and SPO to hide from PvP after being involved in PvP.

2. Owain

Owain Avatar

How then do you meet new friends in FPO under your system?

3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Meeting new friends would be OPO, or places other than SotA. I have not seen anything that says FPO is for adding new friends.

4. Owain

Owain Avatar

Why require players to change modes rather than have them meet new players in the mode they are in. That seems like an unnecessary complication.

5. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

and the same could be said to remove yourself from PvP when there is a filter that can already do that.

6. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

No, I don't think it is bad, @Owain, except that it erases all distinction between FPO and OPO, Which, I am glad to see, you addressed in your following post. So in essence we have SPO >>>>>>>>>OPO(PvP) with several steps from one to the other: just friends, friends of friends, FoFoF, anybody but PvP, Anybody at all.)

7. Owain

Owain Avatar

I think there is still a great deal of difference between FPO and OPO under my system in that FPO is subject to some significant player configuration to account for different play styles.

OPO, on the other hand, is less configurable, although some configuration would be beneficial there as well. For example, as a Anti-PK, I would want to see my guild mates first, and murderers second. I am not interested in crafters or other noncombatants. I can buy from their vendors. I don't need to see them in game, so they have the lowest priority.

8. Owain

Owain Avatar

@Ristra, why go to the trouble of filtering them from OPO? The design is more simple if filtering is handled by mode, and not further filtering within the mode. The biggest single difference in play styles is PvP versus non-PvP. It would seem to make sense to separate those two classes of players first, by mode, and FPO and OPO provides a logical way to do that, in my mind.

The game already does this by providing a separate mode for those who want a single player game. The next logical division is PvP and PvE. Within PvE, then you can further limit it by small party (friends) or large party (friends and other PvE players).

My system would seem to better address all play styles.

9. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

SPO, Just 1 player.
    FPO, 1 Player + invited players
    OPO, All players up to the upper limit of each event. (controlled by a priority filter)

From what I gather, your change to what I am saying is:

FPO, 1 Player + invited players + user setting for allowing a number of unknown players.

That works for me, I can get on board with your system. There still needs to be a system that keeps people from escaping PvP via changing to FPO. The did say you need to be in a safe zone to change, hopefully that is enough.

10. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

There is a vital distinction to be made here. I'm not saying good or bad, just observing.
    In all these other modes we're separating people by circles of friends, nothing more. With a PvP vs Non-PvP separation playstyle enforcement is involved. A mere "I promise not to PK" flag is not enough.

I don't see how a simple "I wanna PvP" flag doesn't get you the same thing. Put a 24 hour windup on it to prevent abusive switching in and out.

11. Owain

Owain Avatar

As someone said elsewhere, PvE in both FPO and OPO is redundant. Redundancy is bad game design.

12. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

There is room for error when we assume players will not want to PvP in FPO.

IE I invite 3 friends to do the contraband smuggling mission(event). 2 will play the smugglers and 2 will play the bounty hunters.

If I am correctly following Owain, it would also be possible to have all 4 of us play the smuggler and allow the system to bring in 4 bounty hunters that are unknown players.

Of course then we are running into the possible over assumption that the devs will allow this due to abuse. (2 bounty hunters assist the smugglers for an easy reward collection, or the 2 smugglers give up too easy so allow the bounty to be collected)

@Mugly Wumple 24 hour seems a little harsh. Specially if someone wants to bow out of PvP for a little FPO then come back.

13. Ahjian

Ahjian Avatar

OPO should allow some degree of open pk/pvp in certain resource rich zones and there must be good incentive for people to play OPO.

For people who don't want to get involved with pvp, please just go SPO/ FPO and let the other hardcore risk takers brainstorm ideas for OPO.

14. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

With any flag - PvP, OPO, FPO, PVE you run into the conflict of whose flags to follow when players group. Vague recollection tells me the answer is that whomever gets to that hex first sets the permissions.

15. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

Ye know, I'm getting pretty sick of people thinking that the only risk is the risk of getting attacked by other players. How about me risking my golden lasso trying to climb that mountain? How about the alchemist who tries that recipe knowing he could lose thousands of reagents? Chasing, or running or flailing with a sword is not the only risk there is in game.

16. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

@Lord Kei PvP does not mean more risk. There is no reason that PvP should be required to gather the best resources in the game.

Some choose to not PvP because they are more interested in the story elements of the game. Trying to force them into pvp only hastens them out the door.

Telling them to go play FPO doesn't work unless there is an option to make FPO as OPO as OPO.

I do not think that is RG's intent for FPO. I think RG's intent for FPO is a number of players controlled by invitation only. While OPO you have a max number of players that is controlled by relevancy.

17. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

Mugly: Some people just believe you can't have risk without human opponents. I'm not sure where this line of thought comes from but it is their opinion even though I think they are completely wrong.

Regarding the past several posts: They already said that PvP will be by zone and by certain quests undertaken (and I wouldn't be surprised if there were some other subsystems added eventually), not by whether you are FPO or FoFPO or OPO. That's ok with me.

I haven't seen them mention anywhere that OPO will now be Open PvP, or has something new been announced to that effect?

18. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

@Ashlynn_Ler
    This whole thread is conjecture.

19. Ahjian

Ahjian Avatar

@Ristra There are only 2 ways to get the best resources in real life. You either pay a premium for it or you wage a war to get it.

If a player do not wish to participate in pvp, they can hunt and earn gold to buy the best resources by simply playing in FPO mode, meaning you are still given this access to this best resources just that you get it from the paying route.

In other words, you will not be forced to pvp to get that resources.

If you are familiar with champ spawns in UO, this is akin to UO's method of distributing power scrolls. The pvper farms the champ spawns and the 'trammie' buys it from the pvper. In the end everyone is a happy legendary Mage/warrior etc. It satisfy both pvp and pve players.

20. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

I'm not against putting SOME of the best resources in PvP zones to create a resource for them to fight over, but I do not think ALL of it should be.

SOME of the best resources should be in PvE zones. If you want it, learn how to defeat the environment. Likewise, SOME of it should be gained primarily through craft/trade professions. If you want it, take up that profession. And so on.

In this way everyone gets benefits and has something to trade with others based on the playstyle they choose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.