1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Avatar’s Update #383: Play Release 78 Now! Dynamically Scaled Difficulty! Shadow Creatures Preview!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Elgarion, May 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Greetings Fellow Avatars!

This week's update brings you some great news about a new concept coming to Episode 2 adventure scenes called Dynamically Scaled Difficulty! Soon after release, players will be able to experience the first scene enabled with this new tech. Also, take a sneak peek into the new Shadow Creatures effects coming to encounters near you! For those wishing to participate in any community activities, upcoming one-time and recurring community events have been announced! Be sure to also review the Players Guide and Known Issues list for additional information on recent changes and upcoming fixes. Now, let's see what we have for you in this week's edition of Update of the Avatar:

News Announcements
    Community Updates
    Be sure to check out full update for more information!

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  2. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Tier 7 is considered easy? (laughs insecurily) at least for me :) i'll have to try to find a way to have my pet out at the same time as a summoned elemental, anyone know if out side groups that will ever be possible perhaps?

Cordelayne, Boris Mondragon and Anpu like this.
  3. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I believe that scenes in Mistrendur are going to be inherently geared toward high-level players. If not, then maybe they intend to re-invent what the power level of tiers are? But yeah, if I was a new player, and an "Easy" area was tier 7, I'd be pretty confused. And probably dead.

Though, again: can we get some lore-friendly rewards once in a while? I don't think there is a single asset made for the reward program that I have used since the end of the telethon days, when we would get weapons and armor. Even if the swimwear had a lore-based theme, it would at least be an improvement. As dumb as obsidian/kobold/elf/Ardoris bikinis would be, I could at least understand them. Save the garish real-world looking items for the crown store. I'd love a bunch of obsidian themed statues and other items, not Easter baskets and beach towels.

Net, Gorthyn, Aldo and 7 others like this.
  4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I actually like the beach towel and that hat. But that’s just me :p

Marking a Tier 7 level area as easy is going to be very confusing for new players. There really should be some lore or other indicators that clearly describes that Mistrendur is a dangerous area and you should proceed with caution.....

5. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

If placing an item per player into the world (ie almost anywhere) is ever a thing, that would make beach towels quite interesting.

Anpu likes this.
  6. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Brother ; careful with bringing a water ellie with you. Mine happens to think she is a tank and train puller. I wonder when they will actually listen to commands again. I also expect Suntan lotion will be in the crown store @Elgarion ?

craftymethod likes this.
  7. Charon

Charon Avatar

I'd love to hear how those levels are determined because if you're anywhere near marginal for an area the difference between 2 areas of the same difficulty can be jarring.

Area 1 with similar hit points mobs can be significantly easier than area 2 which has mobs with fewer hit points but a bigger aggro radius.

Bedawyn likes this.
  8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Elgarion I'm very interested in seeing the new "scaled" scene mentioned in your OP "Lachem's Bazaar", but can't find it on the latest Mistrender map.
    Can you give us a general location ?

9. Elgarion

FYI, Package Items for Trade didn't get enabled for Live (albeit was downloaded in your release build). It should be enabled for the second patch, since the first patch is being built already. Once live, If anyone spots heritage items which cannot be packaged for trade, please send me the item name so I can add it to a work list. Many thanks! The new scaled zone should also be in today after a patch.

10. Elgarion

It shows on the map near the geysers, but you can't yet enter it. Shortly :)

11. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Hmmm... I'm looking at the Mistrender map that is part of the OP and don't see it. Do you have a link to what map you're looking at by any chance ? :)

12. Elgarion

Hmmm, maybe I was in my GM client -- in any case it'll be right next to the geysers when it goes live :)

13. Elgarion

This is where it'll be:
    [​IMG]

14. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

It'll be interesting to look around there. I go through the scene regularly for the blessing; it always feels like a wasted scene. There's a whole market full of people, run by satyrs, with human customers. And no conversations, no info on the area or its history. The buildings seem to be mostly empty. Kind of a problem in most scenes, really, but more so given that it's an adventure scene with a lot of NPCs and a cool setting.

Cordelayne and Anpu like this.
  15. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Better yet, make it an ACTUAL Episode 2 area, so that only people who purchased Ep 2 access can enter. If necessary, let people enter POTs through their interconnections, but not exit from them onto the Mistrendur overworld. Then there wouldn't be a problem with new players getting lost and wandering into scenes labelled "easy" despite being designed for experienced players only.

16. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Are they really limiting this to Heritage items only? There's still a bunch of no-trade items that don't have the Heritage tag. I've been waiting a year to get that damn dog out of my basement, that I know some newer player would love to have, but that last I checked, I still couldn't even destroy. Login punishments for the win... at least most of them are destroyable, though that's not exactly the kind of emotional reaction that will retain players. I've held on to most of them so far, thinking that eventually I'd at least be able to give the crap to someone else who didn't think it was crap. Please tell me I don't have a destruction spree in the near future.

Alley Oop likes this.
  17. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Well, at least the beach towels are dyeable. Wouldn't be my choice of patterns and if I'd subscribed this month, I'd be pretty annoyed, but at least it's a small step closer to getting some rugs that match more decor schemes. Wondering if it's just the backgrounds that are dyable or whether the motifs can be dyed to match so that they become invisible? I'll take what crumbs we can get. (Which won't stop me from shaking my head at Portnip's choices.)

18. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

Holy [bleep] - scaled difficulty in the future!?! That's a nice surprise! Thanks! Here, bask in the glory of the '!'. :)

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  19. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

@Elgarion Will gathering nodes in scenes scale with difficulty as well? Or, at least in the case of South Midmaer, will the (probably tier 1 or 2) nodes be at least brought up to tier 5?

Boris Mondragon and FrostII like this.
  20. Odyssey2002

Odyssey2002 Avatar

@Elgarion , thats what was mentioned in the notes. the higher the difficulty the more XP ( and not ONLY Crafting but also adventure XP for the nodes )

FrostII likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.