Greetings Fellow Avatars!
This week’s update brings you some great news about a new concept coming to Episode 2 adventure scenes called Dynamically Scaled Difficulty! Soon after release, players will be able to experience the first scene enabled with this new tech. Also, take a sneak peek into the new Shadow Creatures effects coming to encounters near you! For those wishing to participate in any community activities, upcoming one-time and recurring community events have been announced! Be sure to also review the Players Guide and Known Issues list for additional information on recent changes and upcoming fixes. Now, let’s see what we have for you in this week’s edition of Update of the Avatar:
- Dynamically Scaled Difficulty!
- Latest News Q&A Friday Livestream!
- Shadow Creatures Preview!
- June Login Reward: Floppy Beach Hat!
- R78 Reward Program Login Items: Beach Theme!
- Packaging Items for Trade Available!
- Latest Store Items: Male & Female Shopkeeper Outfits, Electric Katanas & More!
- Obsidian & Island Vault Round!
- Packaging Items for Trade Available!
- World & UI Changes
- Crafting & Economy Changes
- Combat Balance & Changes
- Updated Player Owned Towns
- Bug Fixes
- Streaming Reward Program
- Recent Shroud of the Avatar Livestreams
- Lord of the Isle Episode 2 Bundles
- Upcoming Events Calendar
- Meretz: Win a Shogun Lighthouse Village Home (No Trade)
- Community Event: Catnip Games Weekly Fishing Tourney
- Community Event: Silverdale Market Fishing Contest
- Community Event: Celtic/Irish Celebration
- Community Event: 6th Annual Soldier’s Memorial Ball
- Community Event: Concert by the Sea
- Community Event: Black Sails Saga – From the New Lands
- Project to Support: Rodasurf
- Project to Support: Jar Wars
- Project to Support: Dragonfight
- Project to Support: Crowfall
- Project to Support: Avatar Express
- Resources: Players Helping Players
Dynamically Scaled Difficulty!
Adventurers, rejoice! A new concept for Shroud of the Avatar, called Dynamically Scaled Difficulty, brings a variety of user selectable difficulty levels to a single adventure scene. Here is a breakdown of the difficulty levels available in the first iteration of the new tech:
- Easy (Tier 7)
- Medium (Tier 10)
- Hard (Tier 12)
- Extreme (Tier 18)
Dynamically Scaled Difficulty will not only scale the tier level of spawns, but also the experience awarded for each opponent defeated. After further testing occurs, loot will also scale accordingly. Every new scene added to the game will feature scaled difficulty options, but not every scene will be broken down identically.
The first scene to feature this new tech is Lamech’s Bazaar, a cloned version of the beautiful Tier 2 location known as South Midmaer Way. Of late, in addition to adding entirely new scenes, the team has routinely revamped old underutilized low tier scenes such as this to feature greater challenges for higher level players. Some of these updates included the revamp of Spectral Peaks, Owls Head Sewers, Ravensmoor, Ruins of Ravensmoor, Mysterious Swamp, Deep Ravenswood and Ulfheim.
We learned a valuable lesson when the original version of Ulfheim was removed, because some fans of the old clone longed to see their favorite hunting grounds restored, hence the Ruins of Utheim appeared. So, to head off a similar concern, we’ve decided to leave in South Midmaer Way at its original location and difficulty, and the new scaled version of this scene will be placed in Mistrendur in a patch shortly after the release.
Lamech’s Bazaar features revamped spawns and NPC dialogue adjustments and is fully integrated into the new dynamic system. The 3-day reward buff (+30 Agility, -10 Strength) which also resides in South Midmaer Way is still available in Lamech’s Bazaar, but there are plans to alter that buff to yield entirely unique yet undetermined benefits.
Spindelskog, an Episode 2 adventure scene nearing completion, will likely be the next scaled adventure scene coming your way. Dynamically Scaled Difficulty adventure scenes are just some of the exciting features to arrive this year. Read more about what’s on the horizon in the Shroud of the Avatar 2020 Vision!
Latest News Q&A Friday Livestream!
Another weekly Community Livestream is this Friday, May 29th at 4PM CT on Twitch! Join Chris “Atos” Spears and other development team members for a community 1 hour livestream!
To enter the prize drawings, type “may the fourth be with you” into any in-game chat channel OR make a purchase on the website add-on store. Please submit questions into Twitch Chat by inserting !question at the beginning of your text. Watch on Twitch, Friday at 4 PM CT!
Shadow Creatures Preview!
Soon, Mistrendur will be home to frightening shadowy creatures, no doubt brought forth by the Obsidians and their dark magics. Albeit a variety of new creature models will be added throughout the design of Episode 2, some of which using these new shadowy effects, this video portrays the reskinning of 2 existing creatures already in the game (the wolf and the bear). Shadow type creatures will feature unique abilities to thwart adventurers in Mistrendur and will be prone to surprise players in dark scenes due to their cloaked appearance. Look for their eyes in the dark, Avatars! The shadow creatures are coming!
June Login Reward: Floppy Hat!
Just in time to hit the beaches, this floppy hat is perfect for abating the sun during shoreline festivities. Simply log in during the month of June, and the hat will become available in the Rewards Window. Time to catch some rays, beachgoers!
Release 78 Reward Program Login Reward Items: Beach Theme!
- Beach Towels (4-Pack, Dyeable)
- Male Swimsuit (1-Piece, Uses Chest & Legs Slots, Dyeable, Also fits females)
- Female Swimsuit (2-Piece, Dyeable, Also fits males)
NOTE: You must login during the release to receive each release’s rewards.
The Shroud of the Avatar Rewards Program lets you earn the best rate on purchasing Crowns, AND receive monthly reward items!
- 900 Crowns of the Obsidians every month
- Monthly Login Reward Items (3 per month)
- Exclusive Title every 3 months
- 3 Months: Keeper of the Faith
- 6 Months: Keeper of the Word
- 9 Months: Keeper of the Vow
- 12 Months: Keeper of the Flame
- 15 Months: Keeper of the Oath
- 18 Months: Keeper of the Pledge
- Pick any Dye 12-Pack every 6 months
- Pick any three of the 7 Obsidian Potions every month, including:
- Potion of Capacity: Increases carrying capacity
- Potion of Conservation: Reduces reagent use chance
- Potion of Expedience: Swift gathering on all gathering skills
- Potion of Precision: Increases Meticulous Collection to all gathering skills
- Potion of Preservation: Reduces armor and weapon damage
- Potion of Reclamation: Increases Salvage and Repair to all production skills
Packaging Items for Trade Available!
Just arriving on the Live Server is a very useful new feature which allows players to trade formerly no-trade Heritage items by packaging them for trade. Simply right-click the no-trade Heritage item in your inventory, then select “Package Item for Trade” which will spawn an option window requesting a Crowns payment for the packaging.
The Crowns fee will vary depending upon the value of the item. Once packaged, the item can be freely traded to another player. The recipient can then unpackage it for use simply by double-clicking upon the packaged item in their inventory.
Allowing for the trade of formerly no-trade Heritage items is just one of many useful new features to arrive this year. Read more about what’s on the horizon in the Shroud of the Avatar 2020 Vision!
Latest Store Items: Male & Female Shopkeeper Outfits, Electric Katanas & More!
Merchants of New Britannia! Make room in your wardrobes for the Male and Female Shopkeeper Outfits! These splendid wearable items are a perfect fit for any up-and-coming or veteran merchant players. Chest and leg pieces of both sets can be dyed. The female version features TWO chest pieces, one with a choker and one with a necklace.
Other exciting new additions which arrived lately were the Electric Katanas coming in three colors (Pink, Red, and Green). These “electrifying” new 2-handed swords, if salvaged, will yield eternal patterns which can be applied to player-crafted 2-handed swords. The katanas are fantastic accessories for the new Dark Shogun Armor Set which boldly strode into the store recently! This armor set will yield plate armor Eternal Patterns if salvaged, which can be applied to other plate armor to apply the style.
- Male Shopkeeper Outfit
- Female Shopkeeper Outfit
- Dark Shogun Armor Set
- Pink Electric Katana (Breast Cancer Awareness Charity Item)
- Red Electric Katana
- Green Electric Katana
Obsidian & Island Vault Round!
- Obsidian Tower (Town Home)
- Obsidian Sarcophagus
- Obsidian Order Throne
- Obsidian Order Plate Armor Set
- Island Dress
- Island Flower Crown
- Island Spear
- Large Tiki Statue
- Hula Emote
World & UI Changes
These miscellaneous updates affecting the game world or aspects of the user interface (UI) patched in during R77, will go live with R78, or will go live shortly after R78:
- The Forgeries: (spoilers) The first in a new series of daily repeatable quests has been added to Ardoris at the Caravaggios Wolf painting shop near the market square. Caravaggios Wolf is the alter-ego of Stephen Daniele, the lead concept artist during Shroud of the Avatar’s early development. If players speak with Caravaggios, a quest to locate 5 paintings can be obtained. If players speak with Stephanie Broadmeadow, an alternate quest to locate 5 paintings (with alternate effects upon your virtue) can be obtained. Expect additional dailies to be added in the future, each featuring a wide variety of experience rewards depending upon the difficulty of obtaining the items required or reaching the NPC turn-in location.
- Arch Lapin: This vicious bunny has had his fill of Avatars this year and will not return until spring of 2021.
- Atavists of Purity: The narrow minded Atavists have returned to New Britannia in force. The Atavists roam the desert region of Grunvald, and if challenged, players will face a wave battle ending with the appearance of the infamous Luminous Atavist.
- Two-Tailed Comet & Aether Creatures: The comet has returned to the skies of New Britannia; therefore, a large variety of Aether Creatures roam the lands once again. Beware, Avatars!
- Ulfheim: Players can now utilize teleporters in Ulfheim which greatly assists late to arrive party members to catch up with others in their party. Also, the breakable portions of the bridge have been removed. Additionally, the teleporters require a new Ulfheim Runestone quest item to activate, which reset 5 minutes after activation. This item drops from barbarians in the scene. Kaiser the collector will buy one each day.
- Quests EXP Revamp (1st Pass): Experience received from questing has received a “first pass” revamp scaling the rewards to be more inline with the difficulty or scene tier of the quest. More EXP adjustments will occur in the future as this work continues.
- Eastreach Gap: Exploited perching spots were removed or shortened near the control point pad. Invisible barriers were also placed in some areas around the control point.
- Troll Roaming Encounter: The mountain pass roaming encounter in the Quel region required for the “Twin Troll Toenails” questline now spawns more frequently.
Crafting, Items & Economy Changes
These changes to the player economy, in-game items, or crafting patched in during R77, will go live with R78, or will go live shortly after R78:
- Supply Bundles: Ore has been added to supply bundle loot, and EXP Items which drop in bundles are now tradeable.
- Agriculture Skills: Harvest Plants and Water Plants abilities can now be added into a deck.
- Conversationalists: The NPC’s with customizable dialogue now feature a max of 10K characters (doubled) for conversation character limits.
- Pax Rings: Only one Pax Ring can be equipped at a time.
- Decorative Vases: Objects, such as umbrellas, can now be placed inside the new decorative vases.
- Gathering Changes: Experience awarded for gathering T4, T5, and T6 nodes has dramatically increased. Nodes now also award Adventure EXP as well as Production EXP.
- Meticulous Collection: Meticulous collection successes while gathering now yield experience equivalent to the base node times the number of meticulous successes achieved. For instance, if you mine a T5 node with a meticulous X3, the player would receive 7500 experience.
- “Batch of 12” Teleport Scroll Recipes: The “Batch of 12” scrolls now yield EXP equivalent to crafting 10 single scrolls.
- Repair Kits: Locked repair kits can now be used to repair equipment, and locked items can now be repaired.
- White Birch Trees: These tree decorations are now stackable in a player’s inventory.
- PvP Tourney Trophies: Unique glowing shard styled PvP trophies have been created for use in upcoming developer run PvP events.
- Water Wells: These decoration items now also function when placed as POT decoration.
Combat Balance & Changes
These changes to combat skills or concepts patched in during R77, will go live with R78, or will go live shortly after R78:
- Mesmerizing Melody: This skill is now available at the Bard skill trainer in Ruins of Utheim
- Savage Sonata: This skill now works like other bard skills and does not require a pet in order to be cast.
- Bard Specialization: Bard skills are now adjusted to scale with specialization level.
- Bard Skills: Skill descriptions for many bard skills were updated. Bard skills are also now interruptible.
Updated Player Owned Towns
These updates affected Player Owned Towns which patched in during R77, will go live with R78, or will go live shortly after R78:
- A’doe Trunalor: Upgraded to Megalopolis and moved to Mistrendur.
- Aelasar’s Forest: Moved to Mistrendur.
- Argent Aspis: Added new Holdfast to Mistrendur.
- Arlia: Added new Holdfast, nested in Central Brittany.
- Ashiya Hama: Upgraded to Hamlet and added interconnections.
- Blackstone Gate: Moved to Mistrendur.
- Braeside Farm: Added new Holdfast to Mistrendur.
- Chao Insula: Moved to Mistrendur.
- Crematorium: Corrected spelling of name.
- Fenrir: Moved to Mistrendur.
- Ironholde: Moved to Mistrendur.
- Isla de Muerta: Moved to Mistrendur.
- Islet of Long: Moved to Mistrendur.
- Jade Mountains: Moved to Mistrendur.
- Justice Hold: Moved to Mistrendur.
- Knightmare Falls: Moved to Mistrendur.
- Lys Market: Added new Holdfast to Mistrendur.
- Meridian: Added new Holdfast to Mistrendur.
- Moonvale: Added new Holdfast to Mistrendur.
- New Britannia Swap Meet: Added new Holdfast to Mistrendur.
- Noshima Island: Updated interconnection boats.
- Novia Market: Upgraded to City.
- Ogygia: Moved to Mistrendur.
- Ophelia: Added new Holdfast to Mistrendur.
- Ravenna: Added new Holdfast to Mistrendur.
- Rock Ridge: Added new Village to Mistrendur.
- Sea Bear’s Black Market: Moved to Mistrendur.
- Siren Song Bayou: Moved to Mistrendur.
- Skalabrekka: Moved to Mistrendur.
- Solace: Added new Holdfast to Mistrendur.
- Sparrowhawk Run: Added new Holdfast to Mistrendur.
- The Caverns Under Neath: Moved to Mistrendur.
- The Clockworks: Added new Holdfast to Mistrendur.
- Thunderclap: Added new Holdfast to Mistrendur.
- Tower of Xee: Added new Holdfast to Mistrendur.
- Weirafurt: Added new Crossroads Village to Mistrendur.
Albeit many bug fixes patched in during R77, will go live with R78, or will go live shortly after R78. Here are some of the highlights!
- Dark Shogun Cape draping into armor has been improved.
- Dark Shogun Armor patterns now properly apply.
- Far Hinterlands “Noble Stag” wave battle now resets properly, and the entire questline received a variety of other fixes.
- Bunker C received a variety of bug fixes.
- New Books of Learning now properly display the amounts of EXP granted.
- Spider companions for the elves in the Plains Encounter are no longer mislabeled as trained wolves.
- Tartarus maze mobs can now more effectively pursue players up the tower stairwell.
- Additional decoration surfaces were added in the Lord of the Isle mansion.
- Etceter Crag Mines Bandit Chief quest functionality has been improved.
- Isabelline Stone 2-Tier Outdoor Fountains now function properly.
Are You a Livestreamer?
Soon, the Streaming Reward Program will be returning. As the details are getting reworked, we’ll reveal more information. Traditional streaming rewards included an exclusive in-game Streamer Camera for being a veteran of our Streaming Program! Expect the camera reward to return! More goodies will come to your way as the program fully develops. Thank you for streaming Shroud of the Avatar!
Recent Shroud of the Avatar Livestreams
Atos and other members of the Shroud of the Avatar development team go live very frequently on our TWO Twitch Channels: twitch.tv/shroudoftheavatar and twitch.tv/communityoftheavatar — be sure to get these channels on follow and get the latest information right as we go live! Also, if you’ve missed our latest streams, check out our archive of content at our YouTube Channel (complete with “Mojito the dog” cam). Like! Follow! Subscribe! Prizes!!!
Don’t forget to also join the Shroud of the Avatar team and community over at our other social media venues:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ShroudoftheAvatar/
- Catnip Games Twitter: https://twitter.com/catnipgames
- Shroud of the Avatar Twitter: https://twitter.com/ShroudofAvatar
- Shroud of the Avatar Discord: https://discord.gg/GuBXakQ
Lord of the Isle Episode 2 Bundles
As one of the biggest and earliest supporters of Episode 2 you will be granted the largest lot deed in the land (Castle), the title Lord (or Lady) of the Isle, a tour of Lord British’s property, and dinner with the game leaders including Lord British himself! Only 24 of these unique bundles will be sold!
Complete List of Rewards:
- Lord of the Isle Place Anywhere Castle Lot Deed: Tax Free Forever (when placed in a POT) and Tax Free for 1 Year (when placed outside of a POT). Placeable on water as well as land!
- Title: Lord of the Isle or Lady of the Isle
- Unique Lord of the Isle Home (pictured above)
- NEW – Town Size Upgrade (if a town is not owned by the LOTI supporter, they may gift this size upgrade to another town owner. Maximum possible town sizes will be taken into account, but the Megalopolis size just became available!)
- Choice of 1 House currently available in the store
- Castle Basement currently available in the store of your choice
- Castle Wall Set currently available in the store of your choice (with enough for Castle Lot)
- Unique Lord of the Isle Dungeon Room
- 140,000 Crowns
- 1000 Bank Slots
- Pick 12 Prosperity Tools
- 2 Unique in-game items (to be revealed later)
- Early Access to Episode 2
- Episode 1 Box and map signed by the team
- 1 hour one-on-one with Chris for design discussion (via video-conference)
- One real silver ring crafted personally by Lord British: Numbered 1 – 8
- In-game version of the Lord British ring: Numbered 1 – 8 (including a place-able decoration version)
- Tour of Lord British’s property
- Fine dinner and drinks with Lord British, Darkstarr, and Atos at a location TBD in Austin or NYC.
NOTE: Digital items that are currently available will begin delivery as soon as Release 62 (Jan 31, 2019). Other items will be delivered at a future date TBD.
NOTE: Travel costs NOT covered by Catnip Games for Tour & Dinner.
Upcoming Events Calendar
Be sure to check out the Upcoming Events page for spotlighted events plus links to various areas to post or find events on our forums:
May 28 – Release 78
June 25 – Release 79
July 30 – Release 80
Aug 27 – Release 81
Meretz: Win a Shogun Lighthouse Village Home (No Trade)
Whether you move a little or a lot, as a Meretz user you rack up valuable Meretz Points (MPs). The more MPs you have, the more stuff you can buy!
Think: in-game SotA goodies, Sweepstakes entries and tons more. With Meretz, we launch several sweepstakes every month. This month, we’re giving away a Shogun Lighthouse Village Home (No Trade)! AND, use your MPs every day for in-game items like potions and emotes.
What’re you waiting for? Download Meretz TODAY!
Community Event: Catnip Games Weekly Fishing Tourney
For the Anglers of New Britannia, a weekly developer run fishing event has arrived! These weekly tournaments start at Noon CT every Friday and will last until Noon CT the next Friday. Players may register towns to be put into a registry list which will dictate most of the venues available for the fishing competition. Every week, the venues shift to the next 3 towns from the registry. Also each week, a new spotlighted PvE and PvP scene cycle into the contest. Each category (POT, PvP, PvE) features different prizes and goals. All fish must be caught within the timeframe of the contest. Here are some of the details:
Largest Saltwater Fish (Town):
- Prizes: Player Owned Town Row Lot Deed, Large Gold Fishing Trophy
- Rules: Must be caught from one of these towns
Largest Fish (PvP):
- Prizes: 2 Chained Obsidian Shard 3-Packs, Large Silver Fishing Trophy
- Rules: Must be caught in Kas Ruins
Largest Lava Fish:
- Prizes: Fishing Rod of Prosperity, Large Bronze Fishing Trophy
- Rules: Must be caught in Oracle Colossus
- Prizes: Silver Fishing Trophy
- Rules: Everyone who submitted an entry that did not win an above prize
- Knight’s Watch (@Belladonna Rose): Additional Prizes for the winners! Check on this forum post for more information!
- @Spinok is providing 1 Heart of Vrul to each of the 3 winners this week!
Prizes provided by the Community Manager will be available for attendees, but governors, guild leaders and players are welcome to sweeten the pot by providing additional prizes based on objective criteria entirely of their own design. In fact, please consider planning events to overlap the duration and chosen weekly locations of the Fishing developer events. Please post these events in the in-game events forums and the Community Manager will promote accordingly. Expect a constant stream of weekly events, each to feature new locations and new objectives. Head on over to the Fishing Event Forum Thread for more information. Happy adventures, Avatars!
Community Event: Silverdale Market Fishing Contest
Hail to all Avatars! You are all summoned to Silverdale Market to fish for the biggest fish possible in salt water.
When: Saturday, May 30th, 0000 to 2359 CT
Where: Silverdale Market
Prizes: 1st, 2nd & 3rd place win Crowns!
One fish per character only. First entry only will count, so make sure to deposit it at the end of your fishing trip. There will be some deposit chests at the docks. In case of a tie, first entry will win. All fishes will be returned to their owner upon completion. While you are in town, make sure to visit all of our vendors! This tournament is sponsored by Xee (the Governor of Silverdale Market) and also by the Silverdale Museum. Make sure to visit it. (Aim for Lijuan Zhang’s City lot). For information, please contact Lijuan Zhang via in-game mail and the forum thread on the official forums.
Community Event: Celtic/Irish Celebration
There will be singing and dancing and even a fashion show for those of you looking to sport your special outfits! Your host this evening shall be Brutess. She is relatively new to Britannia and wants to kick it off with a spectacular social event.
When: Saturday, May 30th, 8PM CT
Where: Knight’s Watch (Castle on the hill)
Come join the festivities!! For more information, be sure to read the forum thread on the official forums.
Community Event: 6th Annual Soldier’s Memorial Ball
It is time once again for the Soldier’s Memorial Ball. (Yes this is really our 6th year!) This year we are returning to the glorious ballroom at Caer Dracwych with DJs from Avatar’s Radio. We shall have DJ’s Asclepius in the morning and the Dark Lord Celith Wraine in the afternoon.
When: Sunday, June 21st, 9AM to 1PM CT
Where: Caer Dracwych
While I’m quite pleased with our ballroom, I am looking for a little help from the community to put in the finishing touches in the form of heraldry and maybe a dragon head or two. Heraldry needed is in the form of plate armor, short banners and shields (any shield type will do). Anyone interested can either PM me for details, send donations via in-game mail or leave items in the library donation chest located just inside the observatory (dragon heads needed: 2 Red and 1 Purple).
As always, this is a formal event. Time to break out your best! For more information, be sure to read the forum thread on the official forums.
Community Event: Concert by the Sea
The 2nd Annual Outdoor Music Concert is this coming! Ezekiel Cooper and a few of the members of his musical group will be performing music he wrote and/or arranged. Mark the day and time on your calendar and come to enjoy this great music. Dragomir Mori just a few yards north of Aerie.
When: Saturday, May 30th, 11AM CT
Where: Dragomir Mori
For more information, please contact Duchess CatherineRose (Governor of Dragomir Mori) on this forum thread on the official forums.
Community Event: Black Sails Saga – From the New Lands
Another chapter of the Black Sails Saga has begun, Avatars! When the creative minds of CatherineRose and friends start writing a new chapter, it can mean only one thing — adventure awaits thee! Typically, these stories start as forum story writing and role-play, which then work their way into the game as role-playing adventures. Upon the chapter’s end, a giant battle between players usually takes place, so be sure to get involved now. Ready thine quills and ink, oh pirates of New Britannia, for a grand player-made adventure awaits thee! For more information, please contact CatherineRose for an invite to the planning conversations on the forums.
Months before this day ………..
A spy for our Black Sails had given a message to one of the guards to warn us that as the great leader @Antrax Artek was leaving his headquarters with his army and as he made his way toward the battle which was underway in Blood Bay, a strange purple mist began to overtake the army.
As the spy looked on with horror he saw one by one of each of the soldiers fall to the ground. Their bodies began to shake as if a great monster were picking each up and violently throwing each into the air.
Upon falling to the ground they did not move from any position whether arms were out stretched or bent into grotesque shapes.
All succumbed in like manner even the great Antrax himself as well.
The next strange and frightening thing to happen was that each of the soldiers beginning with Antrax woke. They stood up at attention as if ready for orders to be given. Yet they were in some kind of stupor or trance.
Antrax turned, in this trance as well, and shouted orders to his army.
“We are to battle in Blood Bay. You will kill all living avatars except for any in our own army, Antax Army.
You will kill all Pirates as well as all Obsidians.
Let their blood reach from the edge of the cursed water’s of Blood Bay across the battle ground
until it flows and touches the mountains .
Let no one escape your sword.”
“Show no mercy.”
Antrax and his army did just that. Blood ran deep from all this death. The deadly purple mist affected all who marched through it. No one was spared. Mass confusion took place as well. No one that day had the ability to think like a fighter. No one that day could distinguish allies from enemies.
In time the purple mist cleared from the survivors bodies. Antrax and his army returned to his headquarters.
The Black Sails and Allies who survived, that were able, began to train for the next battle. We knew we would never retreat.
We would never give up the goal of having peace.
The evil Obsidians had again used the powerful knowledge they possess to continue their quest to control and then to destroy all of Novia.
However,we knew our purpose would l not be thwarted.
We repaired our ships, bandaged our wounded.
We also, sadly buried the many dead.
I received, from one of my guards this message
which was intercepted by one of our spies:
“I, Lord of a Obsidians, Master of all the World, now order you bring together our most feared fighters as well as the strongest of the trained animals which are scattered about Novia. Bring them to the Underworld under the purple mist in Blood Bay where the four rivers of Lava meet. Antrax and his army along with The pirates and allies are working to becoming again. Ha! They will not be strong enough to go against the mighty Obsidians.. We will go to the place called Malus and stop them from crossing into their new lands… (continues on the forums)
Darkstarr and the Rodasurf team also dazzled us with another interview which aired on Spectrum News not too long ago! The RodaSurf board is an accessory to the Onewheel XR device. Simply snap and lock the Onewheel into RodaSurf’s latching system, and you’ll be surfing the streets before you know it! For the full article PLUS a fantastic video, be sure to head straight over to the Spectrum News Website and see our beloved Lord of Chaos show off his latest venture!
Project to Support – Jar Wars
While you are delving into Virtual Reality (VR), be sure to check out this exciting and hilarious new game, Jar Wars! Our very own Darkstarr has been busy on some side projects, one of which is Jar Wars, a slapstick multiplayer game made just for VR enthusiasts. Battle your friends with wacky weapons and intriguing gadgets for total domination of the Moon! Available for free on Steam!
Project to Support – Dragon Fight
Darkstarr has also been hard at work with the team for Dragon Fight VR which recently went live on Steam! Dragon Fight VR is an internal experiment to capture the “essence” of a dragon fight, the classic penultimate experience of every fantasy story. We wanted to create a short visceral, realistic experience stripped of user interface, lobbies, scores, levels, and other visual intrusions that might distract. There were some key elements of fighting a dragon that we wanted to capture and we felt VR was uniquely qualified to convey:
- Face to face with a large scale hostile creature trying to kill you
- Using a sword and a shield
- Nowhere to run!
This started out as an internal experiment to learn some things about VR’s capabilities, be reductionist in our designs, etc. We felt that the experiment was successful enough to release as a free experience to share. Enjoy! Available for free on Steam!
Project to Support – Crowfall
Be part of shaping the next great MMO by becoming a Crowfall Backer! Crowfall is the first and only online Throne War game. You can win. Join intense PvP battles that demand strategy, survival and a fierce competitive spirit. Reap the spoils of war as an Eternal Champion!
Claim virtual territory on behalf of your guild or faction. Capture mines, mills, and quarries to secure resources, build castles, and besiege your neighbors. Scavenge artifacts and relics from the Dying Worlds and install them in your temples to grant blessings to your vassals. Capture lost spirits to do your bidding — or bind them into your weapons to infuse them with sorcerous power!
Project to Support – Avatar Express
I’m pleased to report that The Avatar Express is clacking away furiously. News is being delivered and we have established systems to deliver it directly to your brain. You can use one of those systems by following us on Twitter at @avatar_express. Even more reliable due to its fully automated nature is joining us on the Discord server. News items are posted there via RSS. Or you can subscribe to RSS directly on the site.
If you run an event, quests, etc, please consider helping out by self reporting. The Shroud community is big, and many things are happening that are never seen by others. With 10k monthly users, we would need a full time staff to track down everything that is happening.
You can fill out the contributor form, message @that_shawn_guy here or post in the Discord server that you would like to help. There is no committment once signed up, you can post as much or little as you like.
Writing up your own events has several benefits beyond the immidiate exposure. It serves as a record for others to see the history of New Britannia as we create it, in an attractive format. Publishing in the Express also has a higher chance than the forums of being seen by search engines and random readers, thus bringing more eyeballs and new players to the game.
It will even make posting in the forums easier! You can upload images to your news item, and then link to those images in your forum post. No more need for 3rd party image hosts!
So if you have something going on in your guild or town, or want to be a Reporter, Cartographer or Historian, please join us!
Resources – Players Helping Players
The official SotA New Player Welcome Forum and the Player Created Resources Forum have the best player created resources for Shroud of the Avatar, whether it’s a Player Written Guide, a Video Walk-through, or a Wiki-type Website.
Visit the official Community Resources page for a complete listing of all things community.