Crafting Enchanting Gems Alchemy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DalTXColtsFan, Nov 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

1. Each enchantment lowers durability. Also the success chance goes down with each successful enchant, and failures still remove durability. It's tricksy to get more than two enchants, and more than three is like 14% chance or something. Masterworking is the same. And even super high level crafters can't improve the chances very much.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  2. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

3. Why isn't this skill increasing? If it's because I don't have the right recipes (like combining copper and iron to make bronze), where could I find, get or create one? I think I do have some recipes for either bronze or maybe white iron or meteoric iron et al - is that what will constitute "batching"?

[​IMG]

3. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

4. I've seen masterwork mentioned both in blacksmithing and in alchemy/enchantment. What is it and how do I get it/use it?

[​IMG]

4. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

3. Are you refining materials in batches? You actually have to do a batch to get the skill to go up. Batching is doing more than one at a time. So add the materials to the table for one recipe, then raise up the quantity to make (the number next to the "Craft" button) to refine more than one at a time. Also, it only goes up actually refining. So making ingots will raise Batch Smelting, but smithing blades or something won't.

4. Hm. It's been a while, I thought those were default recipes. If they are, they'd be in your book under the relevant profession. (Carpentry, Smithing, Tailoring.) If not, then the recipes can be bought from blacksmiths/carpenters/tailors. As for what it is, it's kind of like enchanting. Uses silver instead of gold, and adds more bonuses to your gear. It's separate from enchanting, though, so you can do both. (And a MW success doesn't lower your chances to enchant, and vice versa.) If you see someone refer to 3/3 gear, that means it has three masterworks and three enchants. The masterwork bonuses are less generic than enchanting, more relevant to the kind of gear you're masterworking, and include some skill based bonuses. Like on bows you can get +X% Aimed Shot Damage, or light armors can give you +Dodge or move speed.

Also, like enchanting, it costs some item durability, so to get a few masterworks and enchants on an item, you might not have much durability left. That's why crafters like to get exceptional items, since they start with a higher base durability.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  5. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

On the crafting table, click the refined materials pull down and select that. Only the items listed there will raise those refined materials skills.

DalTXColtsFan likes this.
  6. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

This is very true.

Enchantments are all the same no matter the gear choice, and the only variation is when it comes to socketing an item BEFORE attempting the enchantments. Enchanting is from the Alchemy tree.

Masterworks are Item type specific, meaning a few things :
    1. Cloth will get intelligence masterworks, leather and bone will get dexterity masterworks, and chain & plate will get Strength masterworks
    2. Each weapon type will get masterworks related to their skills.
    3. Each armor piece has a chance to get a special effect (attack speed on gloves, running speed on boots, focus regen on the hood
    And like Cora said, Masterworks and Enchantments have separate attempts.

7. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

OK, so I crafted a spear, socketed it with a sorcery gem and then enchanted it twice - once it gave me a 10% change to ignite (but it cost me 40 durability), once it gave me minor strength. I haven't masterworked it on the carpentry table yet because I'm out of silver. A trip to the Elysium Mines is imminent.

I suppose i could also go on an iron and copper run and craft a ring, a chest armor and a necklace all socketed with sorcery gems, enchant each of them twice and masterwork each of them twice.

I keep saying twice because it seems like that's the magic number for keeping the success probability high and not leaving the item with very little durability.

Theoretically, i probably want my equipment to be bronze rather than copper, but that adds a whole order of magnitude to the grind.

When talking about endgame gear, i can understand why people want to spend the grind just accumulating gold and let someone else do the work!

There's probably also the question of what equipment is available for sale, how long it would take to grind the gold to buy it vs the grind of mining and crafting.

Am i missing anything? Do i have anything wrong? Hope all that made sense.

8. Pifester

Pifester Bug Hunter

I sell stuff on occasion, but I am more of a make it as it is needed kinda guy. The stuff I do sell is usually geared towards someone's exact specifications, and there is usually a lot of good leftovers that I will trade out or sell for cost.

The grind of mining and crafting: hit the nail on the head. I ground my crafting skill up as much as possible, and it takes an obscene amount of resources for me to gain anymore. If you bring me resources, I'll make you armor/weapons etc. I dont mind doing it as long as I have the time to do it. As a side benefit, If you have discord, I'll stream the enchant/masterworking so you can "pick" what effects pop out.
    All my enchant and masterworking skills are in the 140's or higher, that took forever.

9. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

Are there ANY alternatives to the grind? Like how real money can be used to buy COTOs? Can COTOs be sold for in-game gold that can then be used to purchase, for example, bronze ingots, saving me a ton of grinding time?

The problem is I just don't have that much time to play - I have to rearrange the fabric of the universe just to get to play as much as I do - I'd rather be out completing quests or killing cabalists than grinding repetitively for dozens of hours.

10. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

I will DEFINITELY take you up on that, but it might be late February/early March before I can really get back into the game. Thank you - appreciated.

11. Pifester

Pifester Bug Hunter

No problem

12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Online, you can buy ingots (or the materials to craft the ingots) from other players. Offline, you have to harvest the materials yourself (or cheat and edit the save-game file).

Anpu likes this.
  13. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

If there are no alternatives to the grind in online play, I may seriously just go back to playing offline where I can just edit the savegame file. I mean, I went to the Elysium mines and it took me about 30 minutes to harvest 45 pieces of silver ore. That's only 9 ingots! To masterwork boots, leggings, chest armor, a helmet, a shield, 2 rings, a necklace, a cloak and belt 2 times each, that's what, at LEAST 90 silver ingots, and that's assuming your masterworking never fails? So at LEAST 450 pieces of silver ore, therefore at LEAST 10 hours of doing nothing but going into and out of the Elysium silver mine???? Nonsense.

And all THAT completely ignores the fact that you have to CRAFT all of those items! I haven't gone back to count, but doesn't chest armor require about 10 ingots while the others are maybe 5 to 7 each? (I could be wrong, but it doesn't change my point). Let's say for the sake of discussion it takes 50 bronze ingots to craft all that. That's at LEAST 250 pieces of copper. I'm not sure where the best place is to get copper, but let's say for the sake of discussion it's about 5 hours of grinding.

We probably want to ENCHANT all of those items as well, most likely twice each, so now we're looking at 450 pieces of gold ore, so for the sake of discussion I'll say it's another 10 hours of grinding the Etceter Crag Mines.

I'll pile on to that: Let's face it, a player is probably going to have to go through this at LEAST twice to get their masterwork skills up, since the second time they go through this exercise they're going to be able to create more powerful "stuff" than they created the first time through, and the THIRD time they go through it - well, you get the idea.

So now we're talking about at LEAST 75 hours of doing nothing but grind. I don't *have* 75 hours to grind, and even if I did, I would go insane with boredom long before I had enough stuff to make my endgame gear.

People consider hacking the saved game file to give themselves more "stuff" cheating, but is it cheating, or is it saving time?

EDIT: With all of that said, I could swear I've seen bronze ingots sell for 600 in-game gold each, with gold, silver and copper ingots cheaper than that (like 300). So just to come up with round numbers, 100 bronze ingots, 50 silver ingots and 50 gold ingots is going to run me, what, 60,000 in-game gold? I could swear I'm making about 2,000 GP an hour grinding the bandit camps in Twins Foothills. But that's still 30 hours of grinding plus all the trips back to the crafting tables to repair my less-than-endgame-gear weapons.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  14. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

After that diatribe, I do have a question: I can buy COTOs with real money in the online game. Can I sell those to other players for in-game gold? If so, any idea what they're going for?

15. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

yes, people do this all the time, which is great for both the people that can afford to buy cotos and the ones that can't but have time to grind in game gold. they're somewhere around 220-225 right now

StarLord likes this.
  16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Hear, hear!

17. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

So two things I heard is hurry and have it now. I've been here since 2013 and have not hurried for one moment. Where's the fire? I've always hoped this game would evolve into something with longevity to call my game home rich with atmospheric beauty, lore, and a world to get wonderfully lost in. Sorry for going off-topic. I do wish you success in your journey however that looks to you. :)

18. StarLord

StarLord Avatar

If you want to craft yourself then you have to grind. mainly for the producer XP, I would not start with < 20M and I think (did not check lately) that you cant make more than 500K with harvesting (crafting can result in more, but you have to have the mats), so a minimum of 40 hrs.
    You can increase the XP and mats with obsidian potions to increase speed and meticulous. To avoid too much grind they are mandatory (they last 1 week each).
    My main problem had been the XP, not the required ore or other mats...
    When training your MW/enchant skills start with crafting the gear, keep the exceptional ones for later and use the rest for training.
    To reduce the mats you need a potion of guidance == uses 4x the XP == you need 1/4 of mats. And do not train masterwork or enchant with less than 5M XP in the pool, its using less XP so wasting ingots.
    Note: a failed WM/enchant will only waste the fuel like coal but not the other mats like ingots, so no problem during training. For the final gear its bad because of dura loss.

If you want to avoid any grind then get the CotOs from the store, sell to a player vendor and buy the final gear.

19. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

For what it's worth, that is a totally valid point. You are one of my favorite posters and a person who has gone out of her to help me, so one might expect me to be a bit biased and expect me to agree with everything you say, but that is not the case here - with zero bias, I agree with your point 100%.

The game would be flat silly if a player could go from small wolf spider to Lord Blackthorn in 3 days.

I also understand that the game was really designed for the player to complete all of the quests, including the truth, love and courage lines plus all of the Oracle quests, before being able to defeat enemies like Cabalists and Riei Firefeather. A lot of gold can be accumulated through all of those quests, visiting the Oracle every day and doing other things like delivering mail, selling wine to the Blood River elves and finding tea for Esmeralda.

I have zero problem with someone saying the game is just fine even though it requires grinding. I just don't have that kind of spare time personally.

Wilfred and StarLord like this.
  20. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Thanks I have enjoyed your posts too. I understand about time and how valuable it is. Keep up the good work. I'm sure Your lessons are providing valuable in-sight to others.

Wilfred likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.