1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

PVP & Death: Current Thinking Megapost

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaCOatlanticBaja

PaCOatlanticBaja Avatar

Great question cause us pvpes will stash gold in a house if we cant lose it that way... atleast I will.lol yet ill complain when others do it

3devious and Abydos like this.
  2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

It is has been repeatedly stated that the difference in gear shouldn't be that great. Someone in 'decent' gear should still be competitive with someone in ther best gear. So the answer to that question is.. no.

Resources are easily replaceable and for free. Plus you don't have to be flagged PvP to do it. Unlike the argument being made for gear.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

You don't have to be flagged to do anything BUT PvP. Nothing is free everything takes time to acquire.

4. redfish

redfish Avatar

Some resources will be rare yea.

5. Lord Ruinsor Rubble

Lord Ruinsor Rubble Avatar

Very well thought out and organized. I had two thoughts though and I like everything you come up with.

- PVP only artifacts which are only found in PVP zones that if you are killed are the first thing looted(these artifacts would be very powerful but could not dispatch more than two players at a time)
    (these artifacts after a certain time period say a month or weeks time would then either have to be given to a non guild member or are magically returned to the next PVP area boss for other players to fight and get)

-also recipes that are in tough areas for PVP necklaces made out of teeth and armor made of body parts for our orc bretheren

Thank you for reading this.

Mishri and Abydos like this.
  6. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

I hope so..variety is the spice of life. (Supposedly)

PaCOatlanticBaja likes this.
  7. Owain

Owain Avatar

I've suggested elsewhere that if you are flagged for PvP, you have to have on deposit, in escrow sort of, enough to cover payment of a PVP death penalty, and once your assets are insufficient, you are unflagged, and can't reflag.

The cost of doing business in PvP.

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Then we're back to absolutely no looting aren't we?

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

PvP is a mixed bag of goodies and baddies for me.

Best PvP for me is TFC it's small squad based with a definite goal like capture the flag, It's fun and your playing a role for your team, It's your skill not your level that enables you and your team to win.

Worst PvP is Age of Wushu(Wulin) Its level specific and High rank players can kill Newbs for cash and it's positively encouraged by the game makers, Your toon is always online playing even when your not! and can easily get kidnapped and sold into slavery where you suffer a penalty buy out, It works great for the griefers but for people trying to get into the game it sucks and drives casual players away.

Dark Souls is also fun and fair, It's based on your skill and choice of weapon set and Armour or non Armour and agility, You can only PvP when in Human form, So you have a choice to remain hollow and not get your world invaded, If you invade another players world and you lose then you lose a lot more than if the Invaded loses, It's actually tense and always exciting because you lose your Humanities and they are hard to come by in game unless you are cheating!, And I just love it when it flashes on screen "xxxplayer has invaded your world" and then you beat them, it's cool as sh**!

Fallen Earth has PvP areas and warns you when you are entering a PvP area (not tried this PvP!)

Any good PvP needs to be on player skill and not on levels which is hard to achieve in a mmo rpg which are normally level grinding games, Games like GW2 just auto level everyone to compensate when fighting big battles, But its not as much fun as PvP with true danger.
    If SotA is a level based game then their will be problems and it will need some safety for people who are new, Safe areas in towns, Or perhaps a light and dark system of danger at night?. Or a level cap of say 5 up or down, Or just an invite system with your level hidden to the fight initiator but you can see there level and choose to deny them.

If SotA team get it wrong and it becomes a gankers paradise then it will be a shame, It's their biggest decision to date and can't wait to find out what they do with it!!

Rothach and Ned888 like this.
  10. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

Or looting random relevant items with a ransom....or looting everything. I just don't think its good to focus solely on resources and consumables. It's sure to cause an imbalance somewhere in the economy.

Me creating a character that uses no consumables and killing resource gatherers then selling the loot on my vendor, for example.

11. Betamox

Betamox Avatar

Now we just need to figure out how to flag the gold farmers for PvP. :)

3devious and Abydos like this.
  12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Except most gatherers won't be in PvP for those that are, resources are easy to replace.. and the only consumables PvPers are likely to carry is what they need. ie potions, reagents.

Well I've said my mind several times in several threads now. I leave the loot debate in the hands of the PvPers.

I will say this again though as I think it's worth repeating. Devs shouldn't focus too much on making PvP palatable for non-PvPers. The ones who need to enjoy the PvP are PvPers.. If they don't enjoy it then no one else will either.

I honestly don't care that much about the looting itself. I only want the solution to feel natural and of course I want it to work. I don't think ransom as presented has a snowballs chance in hell of working as intended.

I'll throw my support behind whatever the PvPers can live with (probably). I don't expect I'll have anything useful to add but if I think of something I'll be sure to chime in.

13. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

One item of note from Age of Wushu" is players who are killed can offer a price for the head of the Pk'er, And if a Pk'er reaches a certain amount of kills (500) I think he can then be put in prison or beheaded by the state which means his character is wiped!

Drocis Fondorlatos likes this.
  14. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

I guess we won't know how many gatherers are PvP until the first meteorite hits. I know I will be there, the anticipation is killing me.

PaCOatlanticBaja and Ned888 like this.
  15. Smyrno

Smyrno Avatar

Awesome post Starr. I feel the same as most of the other people here, the only concern I have is with the proposed looting mechanism. Getting to pay a ransom a 100% of the time will definitely get old. Maybe you could have a skill for Anti-PVP that allowed you to have a higher chance of forcing something to to get ransomed. So for each item that can be stolen there can be a chance that it could be put up for ransom by the PK. The average person with no enhanced anti-PK skill may only have a 10% chance that a certain item would have the option of being ransomed by the PK.

Abydos likes this.
  16. Lord Ruinsor Rubble

Lord Ruinsor Rubble Avatar

I don't know where I weigh in on the looting system. What is the best risk /rewards that will encourage all players to do PVP atleast sometimes and use good gear.

Possibly like UO one items could be blessed and not be looted kinda like the family watch or family pocket knife your daddy gave you. Most of the items should be randomly looted but can be ransomed so you can get them back.

And the remaining items would be able to be looted clean off your body with no remorse because they are so valuable and give you such a PVP advantage. This would create a reason to kill certain players and make rare items scarcer and create a market for high priced items. In this way they could get a PVP advantage with one blessed item but anymore they would be at the risk of being looted at death and would have to buy a new one in the future. People would then be required to carry back up items to replace the ones they could possibly lose but would not have to carry so much gear if they had gotten dry looted that makes it unrealistic; a pack only holds so much.

I don't know how to quote people copy and paste? But in a previous post by Miracle_Dragon he said" taking an ear and gold and they may not lose their item. He also said the victor can let the player keep his item and not take the ransom." this would go good with gaining honor or compassion or something. We need a virtue system also.

Only thing I disagree with is the idea that you can wait a whole hour to get your item back. PKers killing someone getting the ransom message have no risk for the items they are looting. They can leave the PVP area if people haven't paid their ransom yet. And have no chance of losing these newly looted items. Maybe make a timer consistent with the death timer no more than 5 minutes or PKers will kill a bunch of people leave the PVP area with no risk of losing their newly acquired items.

Abydos likes this.
  17. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I'm never going to be in favor of permadeath. But having player bounties, prisons, and longer term ramifications for mass murder and other crimes is a great idea.

Beno Ledoux likes this.
  18. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

A pop up that says, "do not reply if you wish to flag for PvP".

Vision OpenWorld likes this.
  19. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

We are close to unanimous.

Gunga Din [PAX] likes this.
  20. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

"Vengeance is mine said the Lord!"
    What about a Posse?
    Killed player goes back to town into an Inn asks for a Posse (of perhaps four), then the posse gets one hour to hunt down the PK'er to get back his loot and if successful the Pk'er loses everything!
    This would give the Pk'er the element of danger and the beaten newb the chance of revenge, And also furnish the multiplayer aspect of the game with higher level chars helping lower level chars, It would be rewarding and fun to play out!

blaquerogue and MUTTONCHOPS79 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.