1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Early Access Schedule Update: Releases 4 - 7

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

Combat (and protagonists basically being primarily combatants) being central to RPGs is always something that has bothered me. But while story/adventure resolution is mostly achieved via killing stuff in combat then I'm afraid I have to agree that it is certainly a more essential system than housing. =P

As to whether it should be or whether the main story and other adventures can be resolved through means other than hitting it with a sword... well that is a whole other debate for a whole other thread. =P

Iona and Bodhbh Deargh like this.
  2. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

Seems a bit harsh... I enjoyed hunting with the guild in UO, don't get me wrong, and it gave me great resources (gold gathering in packs in Ilsh, getting resources from Dreadhorn...), but I rarely ventured in to the dungeons... The hunting was mostly part of gathering for me, and though the adrenaline definitely flowed during the harder encounters (fighting Yamandon with only 4, while other deadly creatures roam in and out is "fun"), I did not miss it when I just role played and hung out with friends!

So does that mean that I - being a guy in his forties - also want to play house and dress up my dolls? ;)

Not everyone likes the same things in a game, and I am certain LB & DS and team are well aware of this, and are addressing (or at least trying to) features in the most logical and beneficial way, even if we don't see or agree with it...

3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well I like to believe there is so much going on that we do not know about. Actually housing was really a great deal of what was bringing home the bacon for this game to get made. It is a selling point and of course it's not the only thing of course.

Just because housing is the part that was shown to us doesn't mean that combat or other things aren't being developed just as thoroughly at the same time. We just don't get to know at this moment. There's most assuredly a combat developer.

So we hang in there:( until it is revealed.

I have a house and wanted to have a house, but if I know me it will be a mess. ;) I had one friend who was always coming over to clean my house and organize my bank. I was just too busy. I'd have so many people icq'ing me and rushing me that I'd just drop my junk on the floor and take off. It was nice to have a place to drop off my junk though and also to be able to drop my junk off on the floor even.

Won't it be so cool guys, not too many games will give us so many freedoms like we will be getting in this game. So we just keep our ideas flowing. ***paces floor**** :rolleyes: Peace everyone!!!

4. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

The way you're including future players into the development process almost makes me cry. Someone actually cares what we think... for a change.

I want to hug all of you 8D

Hettar, Logain, Mishri and 1 other person like this.
  5. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

The way the housing is being done in R4, is that doubled as a test to see how the house decay system is working?

6. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Yea they care, now raise your pledge some more, hehe

7. Sir Mike Dragon

Sir Mike Dragon Avatar

Is there house decay? I missed that one. But I guess there would have to be. I could see that because of the lot tax, but what about the tax free lots? I'm guessing maybe your lot is lost and your house and belongings go into storage? Then when you re-place on a new lot, would it still be tax free?

8. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Yes, if you have not played for a certain amount of time then the game packs up your lot, places the deed back in your character inventory (presuming that a physical object exists), and then opens the lot up for a new player to acquire.

From how I understand it, the items in your house remain *in* your house, sort of a big "bag of holding" until you place the house again. Though that might be a bit of speculation on our parts, I'm not sure on how official that is.

Provided you used the "tax-free" lot deed again (a user could have multiple deeds for instance, not all being tax-free), your next lot will indeed be tax-free once more. :)

Sir Mike Dragon likes this.
  9. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

10. Sir Mike Dragon

Sir Mike Dragon Avatar

11. PaCOatlanticBaja

PaCOatlanticBaja Avatar

Ok well ive complained for a month about pvp but I have to say im a happier now...I like everything except loot .. I relize us pvpers were not gonna get full loot but one item is kinda weak also... I think if it was two items atleast me n my guildies would be very happy.. ty for the update overall im back to being excited aboutthe game..I rage quit the forums 377times n I think thats done.

12. DNA Cowboy

DNA Cowboy Avatar

I can't wait, the most anticipated game of the last decade for me.

warcreep likes this.
  13. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I think people are getting too hung up on the "1 item" thing. That is a simple thing to tweak compared to the other systems involved.

We can give feedback during beta and try various other things, choosing which items you loot instead of random, getting 3 items, full loot. What you can loot can be changed fairly easily from patch to patch and we can decide what we like best. It really does depend on how difficult to obtain items are and how much of an advantage you have.

Some things to consider, once you are beaten one time in combat do you really want to have to return to a place where you can retrieve more equipment? In UO frequently(especially with rune books) you could just recall back to your bank or house, grab your stuff, recall back to where you were and go again. Travel might not be so simple. Will you be able to continue fighting effectively being down an item? Could you bring extras so you arent' out of the fight, particularly extra weapons? There are many variables to consider before we jump on the, 1 item is too insignificant, I'm quitting band wagon.

I can see many people want criminal flags. I guess we'll see how that goes and if it's criminal or faction or virtue based. It really depends again on game systems behind a need for criminal systems I prefer to avoid them because I find them to be tedious or exploitable. I've played many games with and without them and I generally prefer no criminal system and no real chance for criminal activity.

Bodhbh Deargh likes this.
  14. Snibbo

Snibbo Avatar

The thing is if you cant loot pvp becomes gear dependent and not skill dependent. It was one of the best features of the game. All combat related gear should be lootable. It also makes player made equipment in high demand. I should also mention players that dont want to loose stuff dont have to go to pvp areas right. With Great Risk Comes Great Reward

Hettar likes this.
  15. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

I don't get how non-lootable == gear-dependent gameplay?!...

These two are 200% unrelated IMHO...

It's such a strange comparison I cannot even find another example to illustrate it... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

16. Bramas

Bramas Avatar

When are skill gains supposed to be added?

17. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

The actual ability to gain in experience and apply that value to skills will be part of R7: Read the "Advancement" entry for details.

However for testing purposes, the combat and magic skills will be available in R5 : Read the "Combat and Magic Skills" entry for details.

Note sure about crafting skills, they are not explicitly noted in the original post. However if I were to guess, I would say R6 for those (due to the "Events" during crafting being added at that point).

Mishri likes this.
  18. croppants9

croppants9 Avatar

The way the housing is being done in R4, is that doubled as a test to see how the house decay system is working?

19. Mallorn

Mallorn Avatar

Its the 1st time I logged into this forums (been rather busy with real life stuff) and have just a small question regarding the early access. I'm a 2nd responder, am I able to join on March the 27th?

Mishri likes this.
  20. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

Since it says in the description "Exclusive Early Bird Alpha + Beta Access", you should be in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.