Community Feedback Request for New Tier Titles -- (Dev)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FireLotus, May 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vandigeth

Vandigeth Avatar

@Gunga Din

Nah, I don't have a fear of colors. Rather, I have a fear of wasting useful game mechanics on frivolous novelties that really have no bearing on the long term success of this game. (Edit: I hope that didn't come across too harshly.)

But yes, in the end, it is similar to your fear of clowns :D

2. Vianla

Vianla Avatar

@Vandigeth

If changing the entire lettering of a players name to gold causes an issue what about just outlining the letters in gold? That way it still sticks out as being special and shows off KS status, they can use the same titles Pre and Post KS, and it still allows players names to change colour based on their status (if that's even something they have planned).

3. Vandigeth

Vandigeth Avatar

@elsad

Bordering may work, but it may get to a point of "what's the point?" If it's hard to see.

However, it would need to be thin so as not to interfere with a split second glance at a person's name for information.

Personally at that point it almost feels more complicated than just calling KS backers "Royal" or "Esteemed" or whatever.

I'll abide by whatever decision the devs make though, you can count on that!

4. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I'll be satisfied with practically anything that differentiates KS backer's titles from the rest. One thing I'm completely against is new backers getting all the rewards that KS backers received. I think some rewards, like the upscale houses, should be removed entirely and replaced with a standard house deed.

5. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I know that was off topic.. just felt compelled to throw in my .02 about that.

6. Avator

Avator Avatar

+P.S Tinker <-- to be fair the title is weak, id replace it with something like Inventor/Engineer which also would stress the slightly technological nature of the game.

Cheers
    Avator

7. Tyrael

Tyrael Avatar

I don't like the idea of adding the prefix "Royal" to the already announced titles. For one, I think it muddles up the significance of the titles. Second, on a more selfish note, it significanly deteriorates the uniqueness of the Royal Crier title.

8. Atmosfear

Atmosfear Avatar

@Gunga Din: I could see how Archduke may sound like a lesser title than Duke. However, it is not. I actually like the way Archduke sounds. That said, I prefer ***"Lord Protector"*** for Lords of the Manor. It kinda makes me think of RG calling himself "Lord British" instead of "King British" even though he is in fact the ruler in all but title (I know it's not really the same, but thought I would throw that out there).

I like the idea of a poll for folks of every tier to vote on their favorite title, but this would probably be too time consuming and dev resources can probably be spent best elsewhere.

9. Hakadek

Hakadek Avatar

@Aos Si "@ all those, who try to make strict tie to real world ranks and titles:

The game is set up in a fantasy world, we could use names of fruits or flowers for titles for example, and it would work perfectly well as long as it?s fixed once and for all."

... and if we were using fruits or flowers I'd have no problem at all, but if we are going to use real world titles then let's try to use them correctly or it just ends up looking odd and faintly amateurish.

10. Atmosfear

Atmosfear Avatar

@Hakadek

I agree 100 percent with what you just stated. For example, lets say you have the following as a list of professions:

Doctor
    Optometrist
    Dentist
    Physician

Doctor as a choice seems out of place as optometrist, dentist and physicians are all titled Dr. Likewise the title Lord seems out of place when you have nobles such as barons and above that are normally addressed as "Lord."

11. Matheryn

Matheryn Avatar

@ Knight By-Tor

I can understand where your comming from but because they never mentioned any changes to what people would get prior to the change from kick-starter to backer pledges if they decided to now change it and say ok backers who pledged after kickstarter are now only going to get x instead of y would be opening them to a lawsuit due to the fact that backers have already paid for something that states they are getting x.

because this is the case i would not be opposed to kick starters to get a special little surprise gift on top of everything else when they enter the game just to say thankyou for getting in the KS pledge timeframe like a in game tappestry or something.

I say this without bias as i was unfortunate enough to find out about this after KS finished so my pledge came under the backer pledge section where i pledged up to knight and for them to change that now would be fraud as they have recieved money already for a promised outcome

12. Hakadek

Hakadek Avatar

Unfortunately this is what happens when you don't close down the KS pledges promptly at the end of the campaign.

Impossible situation right now as they also promised that many of the KS rewards would be unique to the KS campaign, then they left the campaign open for over a month after the final date ...

13. Matheryn

Matheryn Avatar

either way it really doesnt matter weither you are a kick starter or a backer this game isnt made\out yet and these people are donating x amount of dollars towards this game as they have faith in the creator\s and the creator\s have decided to give each person who donates a gift so who really cares when you pledged as long as you pledge :cool:

14. Hakadek

Hakadek Avatar

"who really cares when you pledged as long as you pledge"

When the pressure is on to hit a target before the time runs out it actually matters quite a lot 'when' the pledge was made.

We drift of topic somewhat, but it is important that the original tiers are closed down and quickly now as it makes no sense to let the current problem get any bigger, so the sooner this title debate is resolved and out the way, the better.

15. TheWanderingPoet

TheWanderingPoet Avatar

"Virtuous Knight" would be a cool title to have.

16. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I object to anything designating our virtues, or honor, or karma.. like I wouldn't suggest Dread Knight, Disreputable, or Wicked...

so likewise, I wouldn't want honorable or virtuous or upstanding or exalted.

I also disagree with Whitegray... they are titles you can set in game, it doesn't really mean anything, they don't even have to follow the normal real-life rank system. If it sounds cool that's what matters.

So, setting your title to Dr. Mishri vs setting it to Optometrist Mishri it is just a unique(and rare) title for you... if anything it is showing a unique designation, rather than just a generic title.

Marvin likes this.
  17. Hakadek

Hakadek Avatar

I think the point is more along the lines of don't misuse real titles as it just gets confusing.

Go for something completely different or follow the real rank structure.

People can't help getting confused if you use a RL rank incorrectly or mix up ranks with forms of address.

I do agree with your point about not implying anything about your nature in the title.

18. Matheryn

Matheryn Avatar

"who really cares when you pledge as long as you pledge"

i read on one of the other posts in reguards to pledging that they are leaving it open till end of the year and thats comming from a dev so id say there is plenty of time for them to get these titles fixed

19. Hakadek

Hakadek Avatar

@Matheryn: Fortunately you are misinterpreting the other post, or there would be a riot :)

Original KS pledgers will be able to take advantage of the original KS pledge levels and prices to upgrade their pledge for a year after the KS campaign ended.

The KS pledge levels and prices will not be available to new people pledging, they will have new levels and prices, that is what these titles are for.

It should have changed weeks ago, but it will happen shortly now.

20. Legenis

Legenis Avatar

I paid $1,500 for the title of 'Lord'. The title alone was the main selling point, that house was the perk. I ask that the developers take my investment into consideration.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.