Community Feedback Request for New Tier Titles -- (Dev)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FireLotus, May 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Thanks to all that like/ agree with my suggested list.

I think the reworked list I suggested makes logical sense, and it removes the LOTM title which doesn't make a great deal of sense as Whitegray just noted above (title makes sense from the visiting POV but not in-game). Also a hat tip for noting that Lord is used to refer to ALL people with the titles from Baron to Earl. This is perhaps where I could improve my list. I think all such people all also titled with Sir, e.g. "Baron Sir John Smith of Garriottshire", or alternatively "Sir John Smith, Baron of Garriottshire".

Coloured names:
    I don't object to coloured names for KSers, but I do think the titles need a bit of reworking into a more logical form. Even if you disregard my suggested list, I still think it would make sense to rework the titles: the German titles are a bit out of place imo (translate all, or none at all), as is LOTM, and I'd be inclined to remove prefixes to have single word titles (that one is just a personal taste).

Prefix symbols:
    Not desperate for this solution but would go with the consensus view without any fuss.

On the problem of remembering titles:
    It isn't a problem. People can remember many things if they have the will to do so. To some extent the higher pledges should have a greater weight in the naming of their own titles.

General KS vs postKS:
    I also think KS should have some preservation of uniqueness, but without making newer players sound/feel like plebs. Personally, I'd like to know how limited the pledge levels are; while pledges were limited and transparent on KS but that isn't the case on SOTA.

2. Duffrey Blake

Duffrey Blake Avatar

I like the suggestions for titles which Jatvardur came up with. This list looks very well elaborated. Gunga Din's idea to use symbols is also a very interesting aproach and definitely should be reconsidered. Coloring is something that should be used with care. Too much colors on the screen may have a contrary effect to the one originally proposed. Nevertheless the titles should be clear to understand and simple to read. Not least should tiles be suitable for roleplaying. So personally I would prefer letters to symbols. Colors may be suitable as well.

DavenRock likes this.
  3. G Din

G Din Avatar

@Duffrey : I'm thinking just 1 color only for all the tiers. Example: every KS Backer would have their Title displayed in a "Dark Gold Text".

At first I was thinking varying colors per tier, but that would look silly.

Same idea with the symbols. You could use varying symbols, that correspond with the tier (Crown for Lord, Backpack for explorer), or just a General symbol / marker representing your support as a KS backer. Maybe the S of the A Icon, etc.

4. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

So either you remove the option of players being able to change the text color on their screen or you make it so only that doesn't ever change, so you'll have people running around with a partial gold title and the rest bright pink.. I'd probably set mine to look as close to the same as the "special" titled people. Neither option sounds acceptable to me. I'm also against the unique symbols... we'll have unique family crests on our clothes, now you want special symbols next to someone's name? too much...

Marvin likes this.
  5. G Din

G Din Avatar

Think its time for some DEV feedback at this point. All the ideas are here, what has been discussed at the studio?

6. G Din

G Din Avatar

@Sir Mishri : If we had the "Gold Text" , that could apply to the Title / Name / Suffix / Achievement . So your entire Name would be that color. Post KS names would only be allowed to display White.

Something like that. The entire naming of characters in SotA would be either Gold or White. Nothing else.

7. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Well don't see making a rainbow available. More like

KS: Gold
    Post KS: Blue or Green
    Everyone Else: White

KS can select any of the 4
    Post can choose blue/green white

8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Personally I don't care about titles so I vote they go for it and make all the changes they want.

I'm wondering if they get the same rewards, and would their houses be rent free? If they aren't rent free will the tier be cheaper??? I might be interested in upping a pledge for a cheaper house even if it weren't rent free.

9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

How about a singular purchase of "just a property in game" to add to what we already have without extra tier stuff.

10. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

I replied on the homepage but wanted to throw it in here... anything that requires a chart or spreadsheet is out of hand. There are already enough titles to keep track of. I like my title (dame) don't need anything changed or added to it, nor am I put off by later lady Knight backers sharing the title.

If a distinction MUST be made, just change the color as suggested above. All KS backers will be easily recognizable by a gold color regardless of tier. Everyone else can have a white/silver title. No rainbows. I don't recall any mention of being able to set the color of your name in game, but if they do allow that, and someone wants to try to color their name to look like a KS backer...umm I have better things to worry about than that LOL. :)

11. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

To reiterate: Once you start needing to refer to a chart to see what the title means, you lose the entire meaning of titles. No one will remember what 40 different titles mean. On the other hand, everyone will know what gold titles mean. Or, if you really prefer to add a prefix to the existing KS titles, use the same one additional word for all titles. It should be 1 clear distinction...

12. Sir Ogden Twohorn

Sir Ogden Twohorn Avatar

I'm in agreement with Dame Lori, lets keep this simple.

13. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

Simplicity Please! :D I don't like the color of gold, give KS backers the option to change the colors, and make sure Post-KS colors stay the same as other Post-KS and recognizable.

Post-KS players should be jealous and say, "oh man, how did you get the title to look like that?"

Isaiah MGT470 likes this.
  14. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Having a rank structure isn't terribly complicated. You folks are just tired of reading the discussion. Whatever structure goes into the game, people will learn quickly.

I can't really see that it is going to make any difference once we're playing. Is it really going to matter to you at all if you see somebody with a title you don't remember? A slight impact on role playing if somebody is a higher or lower class perhaps? (Which just provides fodder for more role playing.)

The idea for more titles is fine.
    It's probably just time to move from the brainstorming phase to narrowing down the field and making a decision.

15. Aos_Si

Aos_Si Avatar

Lori has a point, I'm not sure I want to spend few minutes or consult with wiki to figure out who of these two pledged what and when:

High Lord the Divine Commander of the Order of Light (yellow)
    Esteemed Viscount the Master of Shadow of the Black Shroud (green).

16. Overt Enemy

Overt Enemy Avatar

So we're split into two... Those who feel a new rank/title structure is needed (medieval themed mostly) and those who think colours are the way to go...

A question for the colour supporters... If your name is always gold as a KS backer; and you become a PKer and the way they choose to easily alert players to a PKer is to have the name in red... what happens?

P.S. I love this community and all the debates and ideas.

@Sir Frank : hear hear (To the last sentence).

17. Vandigeth

Vandigeth Avatar

I understand that the coloring system is easy and simple to a lot of folks, but I feel like I need to restate that the unfortunate side effect is the loss of mechanic when using a color as such.

The color of a person's name can say a lot. As I stated in my previous post:

Red -> Open PvP/PKer/Murderer (suggestions)
    Blue -> Non-murderous PvPer/Non-combatant/Crafter (again suggestions)
    Green -> RPer (coming up short on ideas now)
    Yellow -> Farmer (I don't know)
    Purple -> Counselor
    Silver -> Game Master
    Gold -> KS backer? (How will I distinguish that from something else quickly and easily?)

The alternative is splitting the name Lord (gold) Vandigeth (blue) but that just looks really silly in my mind.

An additional prefix is far simpler in my opinion and allows for names to be used to reflect status as a mechanic without having multi-color names running around.

If we make KS backers gold and call it a day then we remove the flexibility of that being used as a game mechanic for the simple purpose of denoting that I'm a KS backer? I'd prefer it if we didn't do anything at all than do that.

I think that coloring based on backer status is a *really* bad idea. However, I won't fight it if administration decides to go that route. It's an unnecessary limit, in my opinion, and unnecessarily removes an option to improve gameplay in other more meaningful ways.

18. G Din

G Din Avatar

How about just the title in Gold.

19. Vandigeth

Vandigeth Avatar

@Gunga Din

I quote myself:

"The alternative is splitting the name Lord (gold) Vandigeth (blue) but that just looks really silly in my mind.

An additional prefix is far simpler in my opinion and allows for names to be used to reflect status (edit: status as in name color being meaningful) as a mechanic without having multi-color names running around."

No. Just don't do anything and let new backers have the same titles. I'd prefer anything to what you're suggesting basically.

Edit: Tried to tweak my meaning to more accurately portray what I meant in the parenthetical.

20. G Din

G Din Avatar

Depends on the color used in the game. If all names of player character are White, then you just looking at a single color with white. Not that big of a deal. But I agree, the rest of the name would have to be White. Only devs know if your character's name is gonna change color during the game. Your point is noted :)

Other option is the symbol.

Additional prefix is not needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.