Community Feedback Request for New Tier Titles -- (Dev)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FireLotus, May 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vandigeth

Vandigeth Avatar

Yes but why remove the ability to have the mechanic later and waste it on something as needless as KS backer status. It is completely unnecessary from a game design perspective. Setting KS backer colors as permanent destroys a fundamental and extremely useful game mechanic on something completely meaningless in direct game play.

I'm not going to argue the point further. I would like to simply agree to disagree on that point.

Symbol may be ok because it's not much different than an additional prefix. The two are almost indistinguishable in function. I'm fine with prefix, suffix, symbol. It really doesn't matter to me. I simply do not want colors used for something as useless as this.

Edit: Toned it back a bit. I don't mean to come across as hostile if I am. People tell me I have a tendency to sound that way when I don't mean to!

2. danceswithstaplers

danceswithstaplers Avatar

I like Royal Citizen, so I'm happy with the change. You can still use the old name if you like as well. As far as distinguishing oneself from post KS backers, I'm not sure how important that really is. These are still people who are getting in early, before a product is even released. Assuming the game is successful, this will still constitute a small "elite" group of people.

3. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Alright, the way Lori put it that make sense. I guess color sounds like the way to go.

How about instead of a color, KS backers can have flaming titles! *Bill & Ted air-guitar riff* :)

4. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

There is another option, especially considering I didn't think there was going to be floating words over peoples heads because that breaks realism. What about a specific graphical way to identify kickstarter people instead. An example would be the wings from the collectors edition in diablo, no i dont mean wings but rather just something like that

5. Overt Enemy

Overt Enemy Avatar

Isn't there already like Founder's Tunics etc?

6. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

True but a) that means it needs to be removed or changed for post kickstarter and more importantly b) it has to be something you can wear decoratively without losing your ability to wear armor and it still has to show up. Maybe a tattoo on your face which glows to make it more obvious or something like that, where as a tunic I assume is only going to be useful in non combat situations or until you get your amour

7. DeathandCo

DeathandCo Avatar

Exalted Knight
    Exalted Lord
    Exalted Baron
    Exalted Duke

I suggest keeping it simple.

8. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

No gold please, i will never use the title.. if gold, ever.

Isaiah MGT470 likes this.
  9. Hakadek

Hakadek Avatar

I'm sure a good part of the problem is that we keep mixing up ranks and forms of address.

As I mentioned back on page 2 of this thread, there are perfectly good and usable ranks of peerage already available to be used:

Duke, Marquess, Earl, Viscount, and Baron (descending order)

All of the above could be properly be addressed as 'Lord'.

Lord itself is not a rank.

Similarly, Knight is a rank, but you would generally address a Knight as 'Sir'. There are many subtle levels of Knight according to the order he belongs to of course.

This is all very carefully documented and has been worked out over hundreds of years, if we want to use an internally consistent set of ranks and forms of address there is plenty to borrow from, just don't get the two mixed up.

10. KernelPanic

KernelPanic Avatar

As a response to the colors: its ok to use a color but what is the use for it while playing in single player mode? Then a title could be of use for the role you're playing. And someone mentioned a spreadsheet to see what the titles mean: why on earth would you do/need that? :p

I'm not trying to be a douche here, I just would like to give some critics. That usually happens when designing things. ;)

DavenRock likes this.
  11. selbie

selbie Avatar

I agree with @Hakadek.
    The only ones that might need different names are Immortal Adventurer and Founder.
    Immortal Adventurer could become just - Adventurer or Entrepreneur
    Founder could become - Architect

12. Foxy

Foxy Avatar

I like the coloured lettering idea too, keeps it simple yet shows mark of distinction

13. Alex_Wildeagle

Alex_Wildeagle Avatar

I like the color idea as well.

And I keep reading "floating names overhead breaks realism"

My answer to that would be "Well turn them off then" It's as simple as that

14. Matheryn

Matheryn Avatar

here is my take on the titles:

Tier, KS Title, NB Title
    Adventurer, Scout, Pathfinder
    Immortal Adventuerer, Tracker, Hunter
    Founder, Pioneer, Homesteader
    Royal Artisan, Perveyor, Tradesman
    Virtual Collector, Archaelogist, Treasure seeker
    Digital Explorer, explorer, Wanderlust
    Collector, Archivist, Curator
    Patron, Serf, Denisen
    Ancestor, Seer, Wiseman\wo
    Navigator, Pilot, Helmsman
    Developer, Machinist, Tinkerer
    Citizen, Squire, Page
    Eldelmann, Edelmann, Eldelfrau
    Knight, Captain, Guard
    Lord, Lord, Count
    Baron, Baron, Viscount
    Duke, Duke, Esquire
    Lord Of The Manor, Regent, Statesman

These are just an idea that ive had off the top of my head while downing a tub of cookies and cream ice cream and 2 energy drinks lol feel free to comment and adjust as you see fit

15. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Let's just keep it simple. Leave the titles alone. Give KS backers a different font and/or icon next to the title.

16. G Din

G Din Avatar

@Vandigeth : Of course we don't want a single color to disrupt the mechanics of the game. I'm sure if a color is also used in KS Backer Titles, the DEVS are intelligent enough to select or have us choose one from a color palette that won't effect any game mechanics.

Again, It all depends on how they will allow our names to be displayed (Color, font, Turn on names, Guild Member colors, PK colors etc)

The Devs have these options for the KS Backer Titles:

Change Titles for Post KS ( Duke for KS / Viscount for Post KS)

Add Prefix to Title for KS (First, Royal)

Single Color for KS titles (DEV or Community Selected "poll") - NOT varying the color per tier

Symbol in front of KS Title - No change of titles themselves - Symbol could be universal (1 symbol, maybe a Shield etc) or vary according to the tier (Crown for Lord, Back Pack for explorer, etc)

Or some combination. I'd avoid a suffix or addition anywhere else in the naming. Those might be needed for achievements or some element of gameplay.

17. G Din

G Din Avatar

@montequieu : As far as i'm concerned, Lord of the Manor pledges can have whatever they want lol. They should just have their own poll. Archduke sounds lesser than Duke to me. Why have part of your title contain a title below you?

18. Aos_Si

Aos_Si Avatar

@ all those, who try to make strict tie to real world ranks and titles:

The game is set up in a fantasy world, we could use names of fruits or flowers for titles for example, and it would work perfectly well as long as it's fixed once and for all.

19. Vandigeth

Vandigeth Avatar

@Gunga

The problem is that any color they can choose will disrupt the ability of the game mechanic to function properly. Status effects are generally one or the other.

Red -> PvP enabled; murder count
    Blue -> PvP enabled; no wrongful murder count
    Green -> PvP disabled; no access to PvP area
    Silver -> Game Master
    Purple -> Counselor/Volunteer

However, a differing color for KS backer as a whole name doesn't make one mutually exclusive from the other; and two colors confuses the issue.

The color should simply be red for both title and name to keep from confusing the status of that player. Particularly when it could be eliminated for something as non-value added as kickstarter backer titles.

I'm pretty much ok with whatever else. Fonts, prefixes, suffixes, symbols... but colors isn't something to be trifled with, in my opinion. There are so many possibilities with color that add value and meaning in the game. Thanks for the debate, I like a friendly one. :D

20. G Din

G Din Avatar

@Vandigeth : Yea, I understand your concerns. Just an option I came up with. Up to the DEVS now to decide which would work best. Friendly ? I'll end you !!! lol

Oh, why you so scared of colors? That similar to my fear of clowns?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.