Community Feedback Request for New Tier Titles -- (Dev)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FireLotus, May 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Vandigeth

Why would devs be in gold?
    They wouldn't, they would be marked differently because they are the devs, not early backers

And IF there are vollies, then what makes you think they couldn't override the gold to use a different colour for them assuming that its an issue?

So basically your rants are just stupid, you are stressing about something that is simply not an issue

Oh and I dont actually see anywhere in this:

"Title Changes
    We also want to thank all of you that provided feedback about how we should handle in-game honorific titles for new backers and Early Founders. There is quite a lively thread filled with great title suggestions over on the forums (https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?topic=community-feedback-request-for-new-tier-titles). We did our best to weigh all the suggestions, and balance the varied considerations. Our primary goals for the title modifications were 1) Provide special, easily identifiable, titles to the Early Founders, 2) clean up some of the title ranking inconsistencies and generic titles, and 3) allow Early Founders to choose from any of the titles, including the new backer titles, the special founder titles, and even the inconsistently ranked and generic titles originally described in the Kickstarter tiers.

There were several suggestions to make the Early Founder titles stand out visually by using a different colored font, which is a great idea! Thus, all Early Founder titles will be in gold colored font when viewed in-game! Additionally, most of the Early Founder titles either have a special prefix, or are ranked higher than the new backer title for the same tier. Several community members posted the proper ranking of titles, which we also cross-referenced with Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_and_noble_ranks). The biggest changes were with the Lord tier and above (where we didn?t adequately research proper ranking when we originally named those tiers and titles). We did our best to balance the divergent community opinions regarding these title changes."

Where in that does it say the matter isn't settled?

Basically what are you so worried about?
    If someone is an enemy then they could show up as red, or a volly in purple without any problem with using gold. All it means is that instead of blue for non targets you have white or gold, Simple as that

That's if they actually go with that system which you don't know that they will, they may have some other system in mind for denoting status. Maybe the whole player will be outlined red, maybe there is something else you haven't thought of but even if they use colours on names your "outrage" is just silly

2. Vandigeth

Vandigeth Avatar

@Sir Asguard

Have you still not read the post? Ok, maybe my vocabulary and grammar is too cryptic. I apologize for that, let me reorganize it.

"It is a game mechanic. The color of a name can mean many different things depending on how the mechanic is implemented. As I stated before, it?s a fast way to differentiate a Game Master from a Volunteer from a regular player. Look at how it is handled in the website chat: red = dev; purple = mod; gold = regular user. It can be a quick way to differentiate a PvP enabled player from a non-PvP enabled player."

Ok, here is a rewrite:

"Name coloring is so a game mechanic. Let me give you a few examples of how it works as a game mechanic. Name coloring can mean different things depending on things such as scenario and implementation. For example, one could use it to differentiate a game master from a volunteer or a player. Another example would be the website IRC chat where developers are listed in red, mods in purple, and players in gold. Further, another use would be to differentiate pvp from non-pvp."

Does that make anymore sense?

Finally, why are you attacking me by calling my positions and arguments stupid? It's as though you're attempting to silence me via insults and undermining. Respectfully, sir, I'm asking you to step back and reevaluate the way in which you speak to others. Until then, I will no longer respond to you. Good day sir.

3. High Baron Asguard

Umm dude you are attacking everyone over a colour, that is stupid. I'm not saying YOUR stupid but seriously take a deep breath and actually look at what your arguing over.

Once again:

Devs /= Backers therefore NOT Gold

Mods Doing a job so if needed Gold could be overridden for Purple (or whatever colour)

PVP not actually going to be an issue because you will only see people you can attack anyway if they have there way but if it IS an issue Red could override gold again quite easily

Regular user, well here's where Gold actually becomes an issue and its only an "issue" if you think that there shouldn't be a distinction between Early and Late backers. You have white for late (and normal) and Gold for early.

That's on the assumption that this is even the system they will use for these other mechanics

Basically Take a breath, its not the end of the world if people are Gold

4. Vandigeth

Vandigeth Avatar

@Sir Asguard

I attacked no one. Where have I attacked anyone? Quote me attacking anyone, I beg you. If 'frivolous nonsense' hurt anyone's feelings, I am very sorry for that but I directed it at no one in particular. It's just how I perceive the notion of gold colored titles, and I think that is rather clear.

"So basically your rants are just stupid, you are stressing about something that is simply not an issue"

"your rants are just stupid"

...? I don't know what else to say 'dude'.

You're still not comprehending the context of that original post. Gunga Din stated that "name coloring" wasn't much of a game mechanic and what I just rewrote was my reply. How on earth are you construing that as a suggestion that developers should be colored gold? It's boggling my mind. I have no idea how you're making this link.

Further, my issue with overriding colors is confusion on behalf of the new player. I've been quite clear on that position.

Insofar as PvP is concerned, I believe it is too early to tell on that front. My argument is to not implement gold titling or promise it as a backer reward until we're much farther in development or even post-release. The problem with offering it now is that people will be upset if they have to backpedal on it. It's easier to do nothing now and then offer it later. That's my point.

Sir Asguard... have you used the in-browser chat for the web page? The official link there in the upper bar. The developer names are listed in red, volunteer moderators in purple, and regular users are listed in gold. It's an example. Why are you regarding this as a suggestion when I've been more than clear it was an example of how the mechanic operates in practice? I've been clear since the original post that it was simply an example of how the game mechanic of name coloring works in a general sense to substantiate my claim that name coloring is in fact a mechanic of value and not 'barely a game mechanic', so to speak.

I'm asking you to take a breath. Your demeanor has been rather hostile and inappropriate. I've stated my case opposite your own. You then come out and try to undermine me by telling me, and I quote, 'your rants are just stupid'. 'rants' implies that there is some uncontrolled emotion involved in a tirade of some kind, and 'stupid' implies that those opinions are invalid because that lack the required intellectual development to be a valid argument. 'Your' assigns me responsibility for those 'stupid' 'rants' therefore, I am stupid for generating 'stupid rants'. Do you see where the insult comes in here? It is not my intention to appear condescending, only that we're clear on the terms of your hostility.

And don't reply that I'm taking this too seriously. You're the one who said it. If you're not serious when you say it, then don't say it. Think before you speak, man.

However, I am now serious. I'm not going to let this descend into bickering for pages. I've already said too much that I'm likely to regret later.

5. G Din

G Din Avatar

@Vandigeth : Nah, just had to ask. A few of my friends were wondering. I have a sketchy past....

but, your head's still gone :)

Isaiah MGT470 likes this.
  6. Vandigeth

Vandigeth Avatar

@Gunga Din

To answer your question then, I don't know. I played on Catskills for about 6 years, 1997-2003. Maybe you did? I really couldn't answer that question.

Please understand though that I meant no hostility. You're a good guy with tons of great ideas. I can tell you only want to help this game be the best it can be. I'm the same way. We're on the same team in that sense.

No hard feelings, ya? :D

Perhaps my head is gone, but if that is the case then so is yours for not being more concerned about this. I mean, in a camaraderie banter sort of way, friend :D

7. G Din

G Din Avatar

I played on Chesapeake, but having been involved in Rares Collecting, I've traveled to all the shards. In UO/Stratics I was more aggressive with my replies. Used to get in all sorts of trouble (in game and out).

I was pretty sure you didn't know me, but a few of my friends placed doubt into my mind. No worries, I love a good debate, but remember...

Gunga Din Wins Again (TM) !!

Isaiah MGT470 likes this.
  8. Vandigeth

Vandigeth Avatar

@Gunga Din

Indeed, you have won this time :)

I never posted on the Stratics forums so you wouldn't know me from there. I was heavily involved in bulk resource deals both on Catskills and inter-shard gold exchanges; therefore, I occasionally tapped into the rares market. That's how I sank a lot of gold... sort of like stocks in a way. There's a possibility we crossed paths at some point but there's really no way to tell. I generally went by Vandigeth or Henry V; that said, I don't recall ever seeing a Gunga Din if that is what you went by.

I welcome a good debate with you anytime!

9. Vandigeth

Vandigeth Avatar

@Sir Mishri

I missed your post on symbols in all the chaos.

I'm not opposed to symbols as much because they can be done in an aesthetically pleasing way without disrupting the transmittal of useful information. However, that said, I have no experience with eastern games and have never really seen the symbol in practice before.

Since the beginning I've leaned toward doing nothing at all and leaving it as is due exactly to your reasoning. It looks better and cleaner that way. My opinion has been that if anything had to be done at all, optional prefixes would be the best since it would look the cleanest. That is, if anyone cares enough to go back and fact check me.

Maybe an in-game item would settle all this? A gold cloak with a serpent emblazoned on the back. *shrug* Just puttin' it out there.

10. High Baron Asguard

Vandigeth

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that

as for your post look at it logically
    Sorry to keep posting effectively the same post but lets make this up as we go

Devs Silver for the silver serpent
    Mods Purple because purple is the royal colour and they are servants of LB
    Early adopters, the Nobility of the Realm Gold
    Everyone else White

ANYONE who is hostile (including LB if you find a way to fight him) Red

See, no problem

11. Vandigeth

Vandigeth Avatar

@Sir Asguard

Apology accepted, we're all here for the same reasons even if things can get out of hand sometimes. :D I think you're a good guy overall, no hard feelings!

I think I understand where you're coming from now; however, the interpretation wasn't the way I had intended it to be interpreted.

If I understand you correctly, I think your interpretation of that paragraph was such that I was postulating those examples to be the bar by which the game should be developed. Rather, my meaning was that those were examples of how name coloring can work as a game mechanic and still be considered more than 'not much of a game mechanic'. The context was in response to a post Gunga Din had written. Just for context, I've quoted what Gunga Din originally wrote:

"Its not much of a ?game mechanic?. I?m more concerned about the mechanics in handling crafting / PvP / Guilds etc.

Its just another option the DEVS decided to give us."

That is by no means an attempt to respark anything, just to give Asguard the context in which my paragraph was written concerning the chat colors in IRC.

Now, to what you've stated, I think those colors you listed would be fine if the decision for colored titles is final and this is the system we're going with. Truthfully, the colors are arbitrary in the end but I get your meaning. If this is definitely the system we're dealing with, then yes those colors are fine even if I find gold unattractive.

My arguments have been against the system in and of itself.

Anyway, you're cool by me Asguard. :D I'm out for the night o/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.