1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Navigation through New Britannia

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, May 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

[​IMG]

Not to worry if things aren't to scale, people expect it in dual scale worlds.

[​IMG]

Time Lord, Minoc, rild and 4 others like this.
  2. Deorc Dragon

Deorc Dragon Avatar

Thank you Starr for the great updates about the overworld map. Thank you OneAndOnly and Stephen for putting so much effort into the cloth map version. Thank you Starr again and the Dev team for listening to the feedback and trying the hard way to recreate the 3D version of the map. It's very much appreciated.

Time Lord, Numa, rild and 3 others like this.
  3. Valice Belgraham

Valice Belgraham Avatar

Everything did start out as comments, critiques, and feedback, which you agreed are fine and welcomed at times...

The problem was that the feedback went unanswered for an extended period of time, when the original expectation of the game system was a 3D world view.

It is in no way wrong or harmful for the community to give feedback on an original ideal that the community was sold on. If the community started strong arming Port. about something that was never in the original KS design, then I would say you have a totally valid argument, but the community didn't argue that the game needed to have robots or change from 3D to 2D less there be a class action. That would have been just plain silly.

Time Lord, LoneStranger and Korvash like this.
  4. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

This x's 1000.

Time Lord and tekkamansoul like this.
  5. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Vas Ylem Rel ;)

Time Lord and Valice_Belgraham like this.
  6. Valice Belgraham

Valice Belgraham Avatar

I don't believe the dev. team ever said they were completely scrapping the cloth map progress they made.

If they are smart, which I know they are, they will keep what they have, tweak it a bit more, and use it as an actual map for reference, cartography, and treasure hunting. While giving the community the 3D world that was originally designed for KS.

Cheer up, no need to stick daggers in peoples sides because you don't agree with their points on the map situation. The exact thing you complained about other people for doing, you are doing with your negative post.

7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I do not think the overland map system will be anything like the ones inFF it will be a more controled movement between hexes but in 3d....I hope you realize this.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

He was offering it as an example of how inaccurate character scale is acceptable in dual map games, not saying our map will be like the one in ff vii.

Time Lord, Sir Isycle, rild and 3 others like this.
  9. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Anyway the flag in the cloth map was also gigant in size. That was not the problem. Character is going to be totally gigant, no problem.

Time Lord and Mishri like this.
  10. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

So the original map shown in the KS is the one that everyone is pushing for, and not the one in the video that was posted in this thread, the roosterteeth demo? I'm just curious because now I'm getting confused again. I went and watched the videos of the original yesterday. They're not the same map. The one in the KS is very simple actually, and not what some are describing.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Anyway they are going to make a new and better one of that style, they just used some Unity predefined asets for the maps of the videos.

Time Lord, Valice_Belgraham and NRaas like this.
  12. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

It is the "idea" of the 3D terrain map which is being pushed for, which was conceptualized by the Kickstarter videos, not the *exact* style.

I am fairly confident that the final version of such an approach will most likely be drastically different from what was shown in the videos, since what was shown there looked unpleasantly raw. :)

Time Lord, rild and docdoom77 like this.
  13. Borg

Borg Avatar

Nagging! yes, there are many ways to express likes or dislikes, but I wouldn't say that he used gentleman ways, I my self followed anticlothmap campaign thread, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that felt offended, using a prohibition banner is offensive to the people that liked cloth map, and dancing over others likes is offensive too, those are not gentleman ways, I would rather call that a childish attitude.

Time Lord, Duke Gréagóir and NRaas like this.
  14. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I wouldn't expect controlled movement between hexes. The RTX demo didn't use controlled movement. That is the big thing I want them to get away from. I want WASD controls and I want to dodge around things in the environment and feel like I'm exploring instead of moving on rails.

The lack of a living feeling and maintaining art styles was only part of my issue with what we had in R4 and R5.

Time Lord, Sir Isycle, rild and 2 others like this.
  15. UnseenDragon

UnseenDragon Avatar

See, your response is exactly what I said: "The problem was that the feedback went unanswered for an extended period of time". The presumption that you are owed an answer in a time-frame you feel is acceptable. I'll leave it at that because I realize this has gone very off-topic and is not constructive and I don't think expanding on it will be helpful to anyone.

16. mike11

mike11 Avatar

I'm not pushing for any particular map style. I am pusing for a map that has multi-player functionality built in from the start. Not a functionless travel map with a few fancy icons name-tags.

Where is the real thinking to come up with a map that takes what the classic ultimas had achieved and made it into a multi-player experience with some 'living' elements like sieges, contested areas, npc encounters and pvp encounters?

This is basic basic game design stuff and it's fairly obvious that some fundamental design is needed to make the game functional and fun from the start. You cannot start with something boring and hard to play and make it better later by adding some extra polish.

If you guys only want to voice your opinion for the art style that is totally cool but please don't try to drown out those of us who are trying harder to theory craft the systems a little bit more than the average gamer might.

cheers

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

???

You are the only that spoke here in those terms. Everyone here are going to expose their opinions in they way that they more wish.

Time Lord and mike11 like this.
  18. Floors

Floors Avatar

You mean this dagger ? *extracts dagger from his own side*

You should probably take a little of your own medicine there.

Way to go bringing something up that died pages ago as well... :rolleyes:

Time Lord and Khloec like this.
  19. Sir Korvash

Sir Korvash Avatar

Guys the thread was locked and cleaned up once already. Remember to keep it civil, and not make remarks towards individuals.

Regarding the cloth map. I wasn't a fan per-say, however I was willing to let them take it to where they wanted to before making judgement. Was it a deal breaker for me? not really. I hope they are able to salvage what work they had done with it, and reuse it some where else. Maybe for sea travel? who knows.

Going back to the new 3d map, I see as both a good and a bad thing. Yes, its great to go back to the map that I personally liked more. But as its been mentioned already. The 'wasted' (I use the term loosely here, simply because they are redoing things) development time that went into the current cloth map, and the fact they are having to change the development schedule because of this, I see as a bad thing.

The biggest issue i see here, is the fact that the next time some design decision comes up, that a group of the community dislikes, there will be more threats made along the same way. This is where i really have issues with how the decision to change back to the old map was presented.

20. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

I should hope so. I'm not sure how I'd feel about following a single pixel across an overworld map.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.