1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Navigation through New Britannia

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, May 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Are you sure it wasn't a "vitriolic " attempt to undermine the devs at every corner? ;)

Time Lord and Ravenclaw like this.
  2. pinzasso

pinzasso Avatar

I hope you are making this change because the team believes its the best thing for the game and not because a group of people complained. I would hate to have a lot of wasted effort.

Time Lord, Tarsin, Rodriguez and 2 others like this.
  3. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I would say, being able to do more things on the map and thus in the game as well as adding a sense of exploration and adventure to travels across the world, seems to be very much for the best of the game.

Time Lord and tekkamansoul like this.
  4. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I would say anything that adds features to a game is a good thing. It's not like what they are doing now wasn't something they pushed in the kickstarter itself.

I think people should really step back from the fingerpointing it is very unvirtous.

5. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

Not to be another member kissing the proverbial ass of the devs, but I think the current map is fine. It is easy to understand with large goals and limited budget that a lot things get changed. It is just part of the development process. I am excited for the new changes only if it means we are not giving up any other feature to make it happen.

6. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I know I will like the new map (even though I liked the cloth one). My focus is to enjoy the game that RG wants to make and for me to continue enjoying his stories for years to come.

I hope this direction does not delay the game for more than a few months.

Time Lord, Keira Of CODB and The One like this.
  7. Numa

Numa Avatar

There has to be some way of knowing the boundaries of these PvP zones so that the chances of wandering into them accidentally is minimal. Either the 3D overland view or the cloth map (assuming it remains in the game) could mark the boundaries clearly by color or by sigil - I have no preference which one it is as long as the warnings are there. Knowing which faction controls which resources would also be useful intelligence.

In SC it's simple , NPCs control the major factories & resources asides from outnumbering human players at least 100-1. The prospect of any guild , no matter how strong, of controlling a critical resource is pretty much zero.

Coming back to the subject matter at hand, a major activity & profession in SC is exploration & intelligence and the digital info maps with critical info players need will be very, very valuable. There is even a specialized ship built for inforunning - the Drake Herald which features an armored data core, encryption and a powerful engine which makes it fly like a bat out of hell. SOTA can have a similar information mechanic tied in with maps, jewels etc protected by spells and used by guilds & individual players to enrich their activities & earn supplemental income as well.

It adds another dimension to the usual warrior/healer/mage/thief dynamics that has been with us since the first D&D sets came out.

8. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

OMG, a freerunner avatar.
    Coming soon: Moongate's Edge

Time Lord and Numa like this.
  9. argyle

argyle Avatar

I genuinely dislike the 3d world map as shown in the videos and liked the cloth map a great deal more. I am disheartened by the change, however realize it is in response to what appears to be popular demand from a very vocal element of the forums. I hope this move does satisfy those that believed this was a significant issue.

10. redfish

redfish Avatar

I don't like the 3d map in the videos either, but I think the plan involves rebuilding the style from the ground up, based on custom art assets. We'll have to wait to see how well it turns out.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

I have a question, and I'm thinking this is probably the place to ask it since this is the map thread. I've been at youtube all day watching various videos and specifically looking for the map and kickstarter videos that some were screaming about as having been promised.

I'm very curious to see the evolution of the map from then until now since it seemed to cause such a ruckus and since I came into this late compared to those who pledged in the first weeks.

My question is this, where is there a video or some pictures that show the map that, from reading the threads, people feel they were promised & were being denied, and which was so superior? I'm just not finding it, but not through lack of looking. The picture of a map from another game that someone posted here in this thread as being representative of what some people were expecting is nothing at all like anything I can find on the internet with regards to SotA.

I watched the kickstarter videos as well as some from shortly after the kickstarter videos, and while nice, I didn't see so much difference as to warrant all the uproar. So if someone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. :)

Time Lord likes this.
  12. argyle

argyle Avatar

I agree. I won't completely discount what they are trying to do. I just prefer the overland map look as little like the actual game (as much like an actual map) as possible. The realistic overland map as shown failed to suspend disbelief and if we are forced to an overland map, I'd prefer it be something that simply says 'this is a map you are looking at' than 'this is the same world you are in, except you are moving real fast and everything is very tiny and insignificant along your way'. We'll see how it comes out though, just thought I'd voice my preference.

Time Lord and Sir Cabirus like this.
  13. argyle

argyle Avatar

In the beginning of that video is the old overland world map. The preview of the map lasts until about the 1 minute mark. There are some other sporadic scenes from it throughout the video as well.

Time Lord and Numa like this.
  14. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, I think if they make it too realistic, with giant walking avatars and everything, it risks failing and not working out nicely. I've been among some people on the forums, though, suggesting they could make it look like some type of diorama/landscape model. If you've ever seen tabletop wargaming, that's what they use to play.

I don't know how worth it the effort will be if the functionality of the map doesn't change much. From DarkStarr's OP it looks like they're still thinking about a fog-of-war approach and not incorporating darkness into travel. It's something we'll have to wait and see about I guess. Stylistically, I saw no problem at all with the cloth map though.

Time Lord, Cir and argyle like this.
  15. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

lol come on guys we got it, now to wait for the upcoming fun.;)

16. redfish

redfish Avatar

Whens the Ren. Faire at LB's mansion? :>

Time Lord and majoria70 like this.
  17. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

Great. Thanks Argyle. I see now why I missed it. I was looking for stuff from a year ago relating to kickstarter or what came up searching for "SotA map." I even watched one roosterteeth one from right at the opening of the kickstarter because I'd seen roosterteeth mentioned somewhere in one of the threads. I'll finish watching it now, but it's definitely not what was in the kickstarter. Says they decided to incorporate some stuff a supporter sent them for the one in this video. Anyway thanks for the link. Good video. :)

edit: Ok, finished watching and with this one, plus all the others I've watched today I feel in a better position to give "informed" feedback on it. I assume that's what this thread is for, right?

Anyway, interestingly, after all that I find myself back to my original opinion which is that while the original, and even the modified one in this video were nice, I still prefer a map to be a map and without the feel of "playing" on the map so of the ones I've seen, I prefer the last one that's being called paper map. I'm also back to the other part of my original opinion that neither one would be a show stopper or game breaker for me. I can live nicely with either one. I've enjoyed all the videos though and had a very pleasant day. :)

18. G Din

G Din Avatar

Exactly. This map thing is getting ridiculous.

The problem here just came down to communication and the failure of the DEV teams to communicate with the backers properly about the map changes.

We were shown map demos months and months ago during KS and most assumed the map would be similar to what was shown.

Given, things can change ...

However, months and months go by without any mention of issues with the demo map or the drastic impending changes. Hence, a issue then arises.

Communication, vital in all areas of life, regardless of your profession.

Time Lord, Mishri, Sunsanvil and 3 others like this.
  19. Numa

Numa Avatar

Thanks for posting this @argyle , actually seen this before but lost track of the video. Didn't realize at the time that it was a map o_O

Time Lord and Cir like this.
  20. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

wow... just read the original post... I'm hoping it will not become a norm where game design changes by the development team will result to them getting threats of class action lawsuits... I'm also hoping this will appease those who are vocal about the map change and would stop creating x number of threads about it...

Time Lord and Tarsin like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.