1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

PVP & Death: Current Thinking Megapost

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eli Fox

Eli Fox Avatar

Bummer! I was hoping to PVE while I was in the PVP zones. They decided NOT to put environmental hazards in the zones? I thought I read somewhere that rare mob spawns would be included.

That BLOWS! I love PVE and PVP. What is this rift that makes them so different to everyone here?

Time Lord and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  2. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

What is this convoluted mess you speak of? PvP that can PvE? Say it ain't so.

3. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Weird I could have sworn the title of this thread was PVP & death...not open pvp full loot.

Eli...there will still be PVE in those hexes.

As for those saying unless we plan on playing open pvp we should have no say in how pvp is played you are wrong. If we plan on playing in any pvp hex then we do have a stake in how those rules play out. Stop with the threats already.

Silent Strider and NRaas like this.
  4. Talmanes

Talmanes Avatar

They have no details on how open pvp will work, are they honestly purposing a complete free for all? No Karma system, no murderers... Seems weak

5. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Yes...

Should have probably been written :

Open PvP = 100% of the map
    non-PvP = 95% of the map

There must be some measure of PvE in PvP-only hexes, as I doubt there will always be a player presence available to maintain the risks of the increased resource supply.

The computers gotta represent when no one else is around. :)

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

What are you trying to say, that PvP doesn't always have risk?

7. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Are you referring to me ?

If so, my post refers to the absence of other players in the PvP instance at the time you are visiting. I mean it is possible you are playing during an off time, or everyone else is somewhere else in the world.

With no one else there, you could reap the reward with no risk at all if there were not some sort of PvE presence as an offset.

Once other players show up of course, then the real fun can begin. :)

8. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Well since ive been in these forums since they first started, posting etc.. many times we as PVP have been blamed for Pk actions even though we were the opposite of that, people have said things like "you are a Pkr, since you PVP, you kill off people, like the pkr!" so to that Yes we do kill off the pkr, more than likely that pkr attacked us or our friends, when we kill them off its vengence, So yes i do PK, but only the Pkr! Not the innocent. That is where the meaning behind PVP becomes twisted in someones mind. So that is where we get upset, especially when we are the ones killing off Pkrs, to make your game more desirable, as well as ours. We keep thePks off you, and get to play our PVP style at the same time.

9. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Actually i think what was trying to be said was open PVP, when flagged forPVP, nothing more than thatm PVE have thier game let us have ours. It is a suggestion full loot open world (if you flag PVP) no ones telling anyone to only play off line, In fact most of the time the individual person says "well ill just play off line", and thats it, Personally if i dont like the set up ill play offline or single player online either or.

10. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

well for me all the PVP aspect IS my entertainment, I bought into this game because its RG's new game, and coming from day 1 of UO beta up to just months ago all i played was UO. Why wouldn't i want to invest in a game that's held my attention for so long made by the same person?? Even with PKrs and un-consensual PVP. If i never have to leave PVP and never have to worry about PVE messing my play up as a PVP then im good with it! you all can have your story line, im not going to tell you how to play your character. I hate it when someone who is not an avid PVP comes into PVP and decides to cushion the PVP(tell me that i have to play like this because it suits you!! I enjoy it in its fullest and i invite PKrs to attack me if they feel like it, my reward? not gold, not treasure, not experience, only the fact that i beat them! Im satisfied win or lose i log off in a good mood because i got to play my PVP game the way I like it, without effecting PVE.

11. 3devious

3devious Avatar

You've basically described every barrel smashing RPGer in video games! ;)

12. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

There is a bit of confusion on that point as the OP used "Open PvP" in SotA to mean Flagged for PvP so that you could PvP with anyone similarly flagged anyplace in the world. In the SotA lexicon, as defined by its developers, that is "Open PvP." I realize that that is not what many of the PvP community think of when they hear the phrase.
    I will have to disagree with that statement. Several people have suggested that PvE players should play Single Player Offline, or in Online Friends Only mode and reserve the Multi-Player Online mode for Real Men and Real PvP. (The last bit is a bit of hyperbole)

13. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Yeah we as PVP have also been told the same or find a new game, neither is encouraging at all.

Time Lord, Ahuaeynjgkxs and NRaas like this.
  14. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Blood Pain and Shame,

15. Doomgrin

Doomgrin Avatar

You know the fun part about belonging to the "flag yourself" crowd? You are part of how this game is being designed and do not have to look elsewhere for something to meet your opinion of how a game should be.

16. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

This is why we have to be bigger than these statements. They are obviously FUD and should just be ignored. I can almost guarantee the Devs do, so there is no reason to pay them any heed.

There have been very abusive people on both sides of the fence but the good news is a lot of them (at least some of the worst) are gone now or at least in remission. We now continue to react and feed upon that negativity. If we could just move past it and start thinking the best about people's comments rather than the worst I think we would end of having much more productive conversations.

17. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

And, as I said, I have nothing against you getting what you desire, as long as I'm not forced into PvP due to it.

We still have to see how exactly it will all play out, but the system as described — where players can choose whether or not to be open for PvP, and the system will attempt to bring together players with similar interests, thus creating the illusion of a game tailored for the player's preferences at least regarding PvP — seems like a very good compromise for me.

My main gripe is just with players that think that, if players are allowed to access all PvE content and rewards without exposing themselves to PvP, it will ruin the game. To those my answer is that they will never fight me when I'm not willing to fight anyway, because if the game doesn't allow me an effective opt-out mechanic, I will just avoid any game mode where PvP is even possible; with SotA offering both an offline mode and online modes where players don't have to meet strangers, trying to push harsh PvP towards unwilling players will only result in those players not even giving PvP a chance, reducing the number of potential PvP players.

Both of those are disparaging in the way they are stated, sure.

I do agree with the PvP one in one specific situation: if the PvP player wants to be able to attack any other player, even players that don't want to have anything with PvP. Not only this was never promised, the devs have promised the opposite — that players will be able to avoid PvP if they so desire — from the start, so a player that expects to be able to attack everyone else is in the wrong game.

But, on the other hand, if the devs' plan do work, PvP players will have plenty of opponents to play with without having to involve unwilling players, so SotA is supposed to be a good game for players that want PvP and don't mind that they will only fight other willing players.

Noctiflora and Doomgrin like this.
  18. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

its ok... I will shut up just for you Milady, for the sake of peace, but you might regret it someday !

It's funny to me to see all the serious around this, as if you care what I think about the devs, and this is all conjecture that its only perceived, and yes I repeat the same thing to strider until he will let us discuss, no moderator needed here.

You have struck a gentleman in the heart.

19. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

So let's think about this for a moment here. Yes a few antagonistic people have left, but it's also clear that quite a few genuine PvP players left (and possibly their guilds and other friends).

There aren't many people still here who are true PvPers other than a select few that are just happy that there is an option for Open PvP.

The problem with being glad that some people left is that this community is small, and shouldn't be glad that a portion of its members left at all. Also those PvPers who are on the fence so to speak may decide to leave SotA for another game that meets there needs more specifically when the first opportunity arrises. All those nice articles SotA got at the beginning of the year were nice then, but I think the PvP and combat issues may cause a considerable backslide unless it undergoes an ingenious fine tuning process. Not just a couple of fixes, but some amazing out of the box creative fixes. I think the team has the potential to accomplish this though.

Not the PvE players, but PvP players are the ones that mostly feel like they didn't get what they wanted in this deal. (so far). If PvP changes we might see some of those people come back (and their friends and guildmates too). I also think that if the PvP system (which is optional and really has no effect on PvE play anyway), becomes a little bit more hard core (risk vs reward), this might be what we need for them to returen, and it also seems reasonable to believe that many of the more casual PvPers will likely not be as botherd about those changes too. (In other words they might get a little cranky but won't quit and leave the game).

So to actually please more players a more risk vs reward PvP may just prove to be more valuable than a middle of the road PvP option. Also if we have a middle of the road PvP, then the PvPers that are "just OK" with the Open PvP, might pick up and leave if another similar game comes out that has a PvP option that is more risk vs reward. (Keep in mind some of the PvPers who stuck around were OK with this system, but they did compromise some of their desires and accepted this system, though not a perfect system for them)... So such players may leave for a system that meets their needs more fully.

20. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

What makes PvP hardcore? Full loot? Does that mean people should expect MOBs to drop 100% of everything they are wearing and have in their inventory? Kill a boss MOB and loot everything makes us hardcore PvE?

What is it that make PvP hard core, compare that to the model laid out for us, and I bet you will find that PvP will have plenty of room for a strong PvP game.

Full open PvP, Full loot; Those are buzz words. They do not make PvP any more hardcore. IMO perma death is way more hardcore, yet I do not see anyone asking for that, at least not in a rational context.

I say give this team a chance to show us what they have before classifying the game as middle of the road PvP. This PvP is not simple battle grounds or dueling. It's the substance of the PvP that makes the difference and we have yet to see that info posted in a mega thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.