1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

PVP & Death: Current Thinking Megapost

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

I don't get it. What discrimination? Pretty strong words there. The "current thinking" of the team at this time allows everyone a chance to play the way they like. Not just one set of so-called hard core players who won't be satisfied unless the devs go full blown first-year-UO-free-for-all mayhem.

If I'm wrong, and that's not what you're pushing for, it's sure not evident in your posts, (you and others in umpteen threads on this forum) and maybe some clarification is in order? So far all I'm seeing is rants and tantrums about a proposed system that, perish the thought, might allow people who don't share your "vision' to enjoy the game as well.

They've said from the start that they are very aware that any system they come up with is going to be a compromise and that neither extreme is going to be 100% happy. Live with it. Nowhere was it promised that either extreme would be accommodated totally. But it seems that, to some of you, any compromise at all is "catering" to "carebears." Thanks a lot. We're backers too, you know.

Personally I think what they've proposed so far is a very fair compromise. And it is flexible. No one has even tried it yet. After we have tried it and if there are problems with it, it can be adjusted. Ranting in every thread, on an untried concept, is counterproductive and disrupting.

2. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Wow. Even Noctiflora is getting edgy. :)
    You go, Girl. :)

NRaas likes this.
  3. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I don't get the discrimintaion angles either...that has been popping up a lot and I wish it would stop. It changes the tone of the conversation and conveys a feeling that just isn't here. If someone doesn't agree with you it's not discrimination, none of this is. It's just preferences for different play styles.

4. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

The fact you don't get it IS the discrimination angle, you guys live with it.

I didn't rant or throw a tantrum everyone in the team is aware of the many times I been openly happy and also why I am such a black thorn on the rose.

Strange projection, but still I'll take it in the sense that I am fully aware and you guys have been nit-picking exactly what suits you to create a shadow that you will gladly give value. He's all over the boards, ranting in every thread !!! oh noo... wait lets count... one... two... ah well...

The values devalue dev allure :p

In UO I played Atlantic and Siege perillous, and I did not wander around calling everyone on atlantic a ********, this is highly amusing... both playstyles have values that deserve to be discussed, but yes they are exclusive, everyone who knows what Siege is cannot deny this fact.

Right now only this delicious dev silence is totally drool worthy for me, so I take the moment to speak my mind about it. I'm not even asking to make it a stretch goal... but the magnetism it inspires is certainly humbling... to some...

blaquerogue likes this.
  5. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Ok 5% of the map is PVP? Does that mean that 95% is catered to PVE? I keep seeing this 5% and not quite getting how even that would be or even close to being even!?

Time Lord likes this.
  6. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Yes. It will never be equal....however it has the possibility to be 100% pvp if you flag for it as you well know.

Silent Strider likes this.
  7. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Here's what you may not understand rune74, and others. When you call a PVPr a Pkr, or group us in with the behavior of a PK that kills off sheep, that is degrading our play style. Mostly the PVP hunt down the PKr, that is our play style so that really doesn't make us a hunter of sheep! Sometimes we surprise attack each other but a typical PVP - RP, has his/hers reasons for that attack. If i see sheep around (im using this term since a lot of people use it, no offense is meant) I normally go talk to them and see what i can do to help them make their game play better, whether that means, protecting them so they can gather, teaching them so they can survive a PK attack, or giving them company or maybe a little more security, or just taking them places they may not feel safe at for whatever reasons, is what a typical PVPr is all about. Granted we do kill off players, but normally it is a Pkr that we do kill off. I have never in my gaming life just rolled up on someone and killed them for no reason in any game I've played. So when we get grouped with people that may be "griefers" or have crossed you in the past, because of one or two individuals, we are held responsible for that which we had nothing to do with. So again not all PVP kill off sheep. That is also the reasons of PVP feeling pushed aside and treated other than what we really are.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

thats is really far from close to equal you have to admit! But yes if we flag PVP then well just be PVP, but what will we miss as a PVPr? I just dont understand the 5 % thing since #1 we flag we are pvp everywhere, so what is going to be segregated from us?

Time Lord likes this.
  9. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I'm not even getting into the issue of communication blaquerogue, fact is alot of people don't understand the purpose or our reasoning.

Timelord was on the point with the video, the points I'm arguing for (no petition accusations please) come directly from Lord Gariott... its his ideas and his world that created those visions in me.

So please think next time before you say : no this idea wont work cause I won't play. Thats what I consider disruptive and counterproductive, the threads are left open because as every captain obvious on the thread are saying, the system can and will change.

So this means you can open a thousand other threads about all other subjects, but here are some threads where you really are in a forum, all in one place, thats why threads were merged and moderated.

TemplarAssassin likes this.
  10. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I just get tired of being blamed or held accountable for other players actions PKs that attacked or grieved certain people and made them quit or caused them to have a bad game experience!

Time Lord and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  11. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

To be fair, most of the people I've seen on these forums talking about PKs are actually talking about PKs. We can't deny that they exist as a sub-class of PvPers. Saying you hate PKs, doesn't necessarily mean you are including all PvPers in that statement. I've seen very few of the "PK haters" intentionally including all PvP in that. They are nearly always referring to griefers, and posting in response to those who are advocating opening the game to a play style that allows and rewards griefers/PKs. If I was a PvPer, but not a PK, and someone commented how they hate PKs, I'd be like "Yeah, I hate PKs too. They give everyone else a bad name." I wouldn't think for a minute that it applied to me.

12. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

The players that don't want to engage in PvP. Just that. You can do all the content while flagged for PvP.

There will also be certain parts of the missions that might drop the player temporarily into single player mode for the sake of storytelling, which means that you won't be in PvP while those are playing out, but those are supposed to be few and the devs seem intent on minimizing them. And you don't lose access to them for being flagged, you just can't PvP while doing those single player parts of the missions.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

No offense M'lady, but you again managed to logically link both by side-stepping the real issue.

One we've been talking about ways to punish griefers in a roleplay manner and were ignored and ridiculed, and for what ?

Asking for an opening up of rules in the future somewhere, as the first stretch goals are being worked on its the perfect time to debate, but we're definately getting treated like aliens ; for asking about freedom and weighing the possibilities.

The problem is exactly that, people are unable to think "I was promised a professional product by professionals who are going to deliver first a game that caters to everyone, then its going to look the other way to encompass a large as possible playbase to be sustainable"

It's not reassuring for them, they don't sleep well at night, they let the PK win... metaphorically. They doubt our liege, they doubt virtue, they doubt themselves... It is really sad.

TemplarAssassin likes this.
  14. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

2 servers plz !

Thanks Portalarium.

crossbowsoda likes this.
  15. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

Sorry, I have to disagree. I haven't side-stepped anything. I spoke directly to the point. When people disagree with an idea and point out what they see as flaws in it, that doesn't equal "ignored and ridiculed." It means they disagree with you and it's only proper to include a reason for disagreeing. If you're feeling ignored and ridiculed, that's just your perception, which doesn't make it a fact.

"Opening up of rules" also has the potential to open up undesirable consequences for those who do not want pvp, and so people point that out. Especially when the post suggesting it is lobbying for open full loot pvp everywhere and advocating for all the pve people to "just play offline" if they don't like it. I'm not sure what kind of response you think would come out of that. I'm not saying you personally are or are not saying that, just pointing out that it has been said.

As for the promises of a professional product, from everything I can see, that's exactly what we're getting. I see the devs are listening and they're jumping through hoops to try and please as many people as possible. And for that they keep getting slammed by a small group of what I consider unreasonable people. That's my opinion which obviously doesn't agree with your opinion but I can't help that. A number of people have been bringing up ideas for fun ways to compromise the two extremes of play style. Those threads keep falling by the wayside in lieu of the angry ones with lots of forum-pvp in them.

16. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

If the freedom or possibilities render the game utterly useless for me, as anything that forces me to engage in PvP against my will would do, then you can be assured that I will speak against it.

I was promised a game where all PvP would be consensual. Most of the money I've pledged was only pledged due to that promise.

If the devs never had made that promise then this would be different. But then, if that was the case, I wouldn't even be here; I would likely just have kept my $25 First Responder pledge, considered the game as something to play exclusively offline, and never bothered to get involved with the forums, which is exactly what I had done nearly half a year before in Star Citizen.

I choose to not even fight PKers because the fight is not fun or enjoyable for me, in any shape or way. This is a game, a leisure activity, so I won't do anything that is not enjoyable.

Because, otherwise, what is the point? Why should I spend part of my rare leisure time in anything that I don't get enjoyment out of? I don't play games to be the game's content to other players, I play to have fun.

17. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

yes yes exactly...

your game, your enjoyment, your reason for being here, you're important... your money is important...

you really are, actually the more you repeat it the more it feels important !!!

It really feels important that you realise you have no reason to be in this thread, the devs need no defense from the horrible young guys without any power that come on the boards just to piss you guys off...

cause they have no feelings, its not their game, its not their enjoyment, its not their reason for being here, they're not important, their money is not important...

they really are, actually the more they repeat it the less important they are !!!

18. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

It is a form of entertainment. Thus, I will spend time with it only if it pleases me.

It is a commercial product. Thus, I will spend money on it only if it serves my purpose. (Or, at least, spend money beyond what I have already spent.)

It's not rocket science, it's not meant to demean. It's just the market reality.

Is my will, and my money, important to the devs? Apparently so, at least up to a point; after all, they reassured players time and time again that all player combat would be by consent only, which allowed players with my point of view to pledge for the game.

Do I expect the devs to make changes just because I disagree with something? No. But at the same time I expect them to not make changes to things they actually promised in the past just because some players seem to want full PvP UO 2.0 .

19. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Open PvP = 100% of the map
    PvE = 95% of the map

20. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

"I" am not calling you a pker...that's not even the issue....just because one person did doesn't make everyone did....there are PKers but if that's not you then the shoe doesn't fit and they are obviously not talking about you.

Silent Strider and blaquerogue like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.