Am I the only one who doesn't want to play card game combat??

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Toff, Apr 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Galamar

Galamar Avatar

I like the idea. And it isnt so much card combat. They clearly explained why this system would be realistic. Go watch the dev chat on combat again.

Noctiflora and enderandrew like this.
  2. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

They're still :facepalming: from when they said combat "deck" :p

3. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

Here's a 'combat deck' - or at least, 'combat on deck'... ;)

[​IMG]

4. Galamar

Galamar Avatar

Well we all know that isnt going to happen. That kind of combat system is difficult to do in an MMO setting that is why very little MMOs do it.

NRaas likes this.
  5. Radicast

Radicast Avatar

yup no card game please make it like UO where i have to find or buy each spell write it in my book then get regs to cast and i can cast it whenever i want UO is by far my favorit mmo ever for a reason

Soleidad likes this.
  6. Rossum

Rossum Avatar

I think this combat system could be great in another game, but it doesn't sound very suitable for SotA. This game is supposed to be all about immersion, with minimal UI to distract us. Requiring us to keep half our attention on UI buttons sounds like the opposite of immersion to me.

There may be ways to make it work without breaking immersion though, if there were some kind of in-world cues to let the player know what skills are available, instead of colourful icons. Combat stances, magical auras and such.

I think you'd have to cut back on the number of skill permutations for that to be manageable though. Have the player assemble 3-5 decks, perhaps with different specialities (e.g. attack, defence, control), and have the visible combat stances shift to reflect which deck is active at a given time. It also wouldn't be completely random which decks are active. For example, when the enemy's attack deck is up, the player's defence deck activates, and you have to use the right skills to counter the attack. And control skills might lock out a certain deck, preventing them from attacking or defending at a crucial moment.

PrimeRib likes this.
  7. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I would prefer a more active actionoriented combat system, too. But I am interested in how the deck system works. Everything is better than those ultra bad and boring standard MMO, WoW-like combat systems!

8. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

I am not a huge fan of what they are planning for combat either but I am willing to give it a try. It could actually end up being quite fun. We will not know though until we actual test it out. If the general opinion of it is that it sucks they will change it.

9. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

I gotta call BS here. First, there are many things that are far WORSE than WoW's combat system. It's mediocre and does not aspire to improve, indeed each passing patch since Cataclysm has sought to simplify it and make it more accessable to the four year olds who now comprise it's main playerbase. But that doesn't make it the worst thing out there, and there is plenty of room to make something even MORE insulting.

Second, it has become fashionable to dis WoW on these and other forums, and I think that BLIZZARD deserves such derision. But the "WoW-like" combat system was actually stolen from (and simplified/dumbed down in the process) worthy precursors, like Everquest. Just because someone thought to create a hotkey bar featuring your ten most used abilities doesn't make it a bad system.

Being able to get our powers to work on demand is reasonable, using our keyboard and or mouse buttons to access them is obvious, and hotkey binding, allowing you to arrange the buttons in a comfortable format, is a natural extent of this.

It's not the 'push button to use power' setup of WoW that made it suck, it was the childish and insulting implementation. Other games, with nigh identical control methods, have been fun, innovative, challenging, and have given absolutely no cause for such a judgmental statement. I think that keeping in mind what we REALLY want is important when discussing this new 'deck based' method, and if what you REALLY want is a system that doesn't use buttons... you probably should start looking into occulus and Wii based games, cause anything released for PC's over the internet is gonna wind up using mouse and keyboard.

10. Guards

Guards Avatar

Where can I find more information on this card based combat system?

11. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

Duffrey Blake's post within this thread contains a nice link. It was post #77.

If you need a starting point, your post was #90!

There is a relevant Dev Hangout video as well, though I can't fetch the link right now. I believe it was one of the earlier ones, and totally dedicated to combat.

Enjoy.

12. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

NRaas and crossbowsoda like this.
  13. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

As well as the links noted above, you can also look at this one.

I suspect the video crossbowsoda was referring to is here.

Welcome to the forums, and please remember that everything in these links is current thinking only and may be subject to change. :) The game is an interesting work in progress.

Guards likes this.
  14. Guards

Guards Avatar

Thanks heaps of good information in there, but it doesn't really explain the card mechanics. I am wondering how the cards work, when i use a skill does it draw from the cards I have and replace that hotkey with what ever is drawn next?

15. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

Guards and Abydos like this.
  16. Guards

Guards Avatar

17. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

Heh. Some people think they know exactly how it's going to work. Some people also think they're going to hate it. I think we should just wait and see. :)

18. Guards

Guards Avatar

Yeah, this was my first thought after reading the OP.

Bodhbh Dearg likes this.
  19. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

It's not WoW bashing as I don't care about WoW in the least. It's about being fed up by a combat system in which you do nothing but wait and click and watch. This is not what combat is about for me. Combat is about action, suspense and being actively involved. Either that or do a proper turn based system with lots of strategy and tactics.

20. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

At which point, the "WoW-style" combat system isn't that bad. Even IN World of Warcraft, you could do more than stand around waiting on your cooldowns, if you were creative and, dare I say it... skilled.

A change in focus and implementation would be all it would take to use a nigh identical system and make it fun, fast paced, and VERY actively involved.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.