Am I the only one who doesn't want to play card game combat??

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Toff, Apr 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G0ply

G0ply Avatar

Well my take on this whole things goes like this... To start off Einstein has said in multiple quotes that, imagination is more important then knowledge... I'm sure those stating how they disagree with this combat system are just using their imagination. Let's be real, it's not that hard to imagine how this whole thing is going to play out, even without having played it. It ultimately is the developers decision at the end, on what system they will be going with. Some of us may remember the beginning of Siege Perilous *coughs*. Anyways...

So with that side topic entry out of the way, here is my opinion, take it or leave it...

A very brief idea on the differences of the systems.

Card systems: They deal with random draws that you get to choose from, it's a limited selection, sometimes a deck will play out very well, and other times you just get stuck with bad cards.

WoW system: A selection of skills that you get to choose that has cool downs after use to stop spamming.

UO system: A selection of skills that you choose in any manner that you wish, so long as you have the costs and can set yourself up for the time needed to use the skill.

I don't feel like going into a long writing on this subject, so I will just finish with a few brief reasons, and let it be known that I do not agree with this system or the wow system. I liked the old UO system, granted I do not believe it was polished as much as it could have been.

And a few reasons why:
    Disrupting of spells when hit, I feel it's important because a Mage should have to position themselves and it allows for counters.
    Mana costs in relation to cast time, higher damaging spells take longer, lower damaging spells for tactics (disrupting/counters, magic reflection, ect.)
    No cool down timers, they are not needed with the right balance of costs and cast time.
    Canceling attacks/spells.
    Overhead words of power that allowed you to adjust to the other player.

These type of concepts allow the game to play out in a more chess like manner, I'm sure we all had fights that went on for a very long time in UO. With a few tweaks to the system it could be made better, and be very fun to play. I personally want a game that allows me to think 100% for myself and have consequences for mistakes. We that played UO know the WoW system is very different, it may be minor differences, but they make a big difference. Cards IMO just add too much randomness, I'm sure it will be fun, it's just not going to be what I hold in my imagination as a UO style experience...

I think that sums it up, enough to get an idea of what I'm talking about, anyways. I wish the developers good luck in their quest to bring a fun experience to this game, no matter what you guys decide in the end I'm sure it will be fun.

-Goply

Silvas and MalakBrightpalm like this.
  2. Silvas

Silvas Avatar

@G0ply:
    I agree with you here.
    I'm trying to be open minded here, but honestly, I'm a simple person. I liked the old bare bones combat systems.
    No levels, skill based, using skills to raise proficiency in that skill - it made sense.
    The special weapon skills added a little bit to the system other than just click and swing away.
    This whole lock skills to a bar (which makes them unable to be combined with other skills) or let them come up randomly, combos, chains, cards, decks... good grief. You've given me a headache already. This is taking over-engineering to an art form imo.
    I know the devs are trying to be "innovative" here, and I suppose I don't begrudge them that, but this doesn't seem innovative to me - it seems gimmicky.
    At this point, my interest has dropped to near zero and I feel like I'm most likely going to have to say I'm out. It looks as though the game being made is not the game I was hoping for, which means I'll have to follow my first rule of gaming - if the game isn't what you want, then don't play it.

3. Malf

Malf Avatar

pass on the decks .... I want to get better at using the skills I choose.

Also, This game really doesn't feel like exploring an MMO. The overland Map is foolish imo.

Terminator likes this.
  4. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

I completely disagree with what you're saying based on the entire premiss I have read so far by the Dev's

They are building this game with the player base involved with its building so they can build a game WE like and will enjoy.

I haven't tried what they intend as for the random card aspect, I will give it a try with an open mind.

If enough (the vast majority) say that it (if not for a better term) "sucks" then I'm quite sure they will scrap it and go with the standard system that has been with all games since the beginning... a fixed task bar of skills and moves...

Bodhbh Dearg likes this.
  5. Malf

Malf Avatar

No to card game skills

6. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Well I for one do not mind the card combat, its easy and really not that different than the macro's in uo. In combat in uo how many macros really did you use? Its just a different way of "casting a spell" or "band aid" macro. Its all key punching. So you use a card that has a move inscribed on it instead of a skill that has a move assigned to it. Not a whole lot of difference in my opinion. I find it refreshing.

7. Hardy

Hardy Avatar

I really really want to try the "card" system. It is something new that I haven't done before.

It might be great, it might be poopies, but, who knows till we try.

8. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Imop leave the cards to mtg. Reward me for time spent using a specific ability, this wa something uo did so well. If its not broke why fix it?

9. Hardy

Hardy Avatar

Well, technically, we don't know this "card system" is broke yet, so why fix it till we do?

Once we have a chance to use it, if it sucks I will be one of the loudest critics, but I am not going to get my knickers in a knot over how much I imagine it will suck.

10. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I believe it is human nature that makes people fear what they do not know, because it takes them out of their comfort zone. I say lets not knock it till we've tried it! They might really pull something good out of their hat! Its an opportunity that I for one do not want to miss! :)

Time Lord, NRaas and Lord Baldrith like this.
  11. Ara

Ara Avatar

Not having access to all my skills all the time is not something i have to imagine sucks, that sucks period.

Why should the game decide when i can use certain skills?

12. Ara

Ara Avatar

If you want access to all your skills anytime during PvP then a random card combat system isnt the way to go.

L.M. Avorin Swiftslay likes this.
  13. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

irl i dont have access to all my potential skills at once, i guess RL sucks.

If i dont train my dota skills, in a week i will loose everytime.
    If i dont train my swimming, i dont score nice times.
    If i dont train cooking, chess, miniature painting, basketball, etc... well you can get the answer.

This is a rol game, you must assume a personality and choose what skills you want to get when you adventure or PvP. The advantage is that you can "learn" and "unlearn" skills reasonably fast.

tekkamansoul likes this.
  14. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

that of course is your opinion, I like a little random luck thrown in. I would hate to go back to (punch macro 1, punch macro 1, punch macro 2, punch macro 1, punch macro 1, punch macro 3). Yawn.....

15. Hardy

Hardy Avatar

Why does chess decide how each piece can move? Why can't they all move like Queens? Maybe because certain limitations can add to the game, rather than detract?

And maybe the way to find out if a limitation will add or detract, it to play a few games with those rules and see?

tekkamansoul likes this.
  16. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

I think that speaks volumes right there. Not being sarcastic or facetious either... just stating truth.

Yes, you have to imagine, because it doesn't exist. Perhaps reserve judgement until it does exist, and give it a try?

17. Max Bennis

Max Bennis Avatar

Gentlemen, at least let's give it a try.
    I don't even have a slightest of idea how it'll actually work.
    I'll rant about it after I tested it, and besides, aren't we here to monitor the development progress and
    ask the devs to change it as we please when it's not satisfying?
    Let's not throw away the new stuff before even having a taste of it.

tekkamansoul likes this.
  18. Ara

Ara Avatar

That dont explain abit why i should not be able to use my learned skills.

When learned then i know them.

This is just some artificially created mindloss that make no sense whatsoever.

19. Ara

Ara Avatar

This is as i want to see the combat system, full access to all skills all the time and based on player skill, not randomness and luck. Old UO PvP before Age of Shadows was not a macro PvP game.

20. Ara

Ara Avatar

Since when is limitations of skills, randomness and luck something we should look for in a combat system? Ridicolous.

Not allowing me to use the skill i want is like tie my hands behind my back, only frustrating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.