1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

PVP & Death: Current Thinking Megapost

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

Sure! WoW was a superior game to UO in almost every way. It was exciting, accessible, innovative and creative. It had a plot with interesting player classes and races. It was also a huge financial success.

You might not have liked it, but that doesn't change the facts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Numa

Numa Avatar

Oh, that's what the Ignore button does - suddenly this thread is clean & rational again :)

3. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

This game can and will have unexpected danger, all you have to do is flag for it. Anyone with your mindset will and can flag themselves. Gatherers, crafters, pvp'rs, rp's, guilds. They all have the ability to flag themselves for this unexpected danger. I suppose many will. You will not be alone on the battlefield, but you will not be able to grief people that do not wish to be harassed. Not everyone enjoys what you enjoy.

4. Super Ki

Super Ki Avatar

I am just saying that we have the chance to bring back something unique here, and i don't get why people are trying to stop it, simply to create a game like every other in the genre out there?

5. Super Ki

Super Ki Avatar

I am sure most people in this forum wouldn't agree with you that wow was superior to UO. YES WoW had more success than UO - But that is mainly marketing. If everyone who plays WoW had played the old Pking / Pvping UO i am sure they would want that aspect as well.

I did like WoW, but you just cant compare WoW and UO (Old UO)

6. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I do not believe people are trying to stop anything, they are however trying to keep what they pledged their money for. and that is consensual pvp. It has been stated as so from the very start in the kickstarter.

Time Lord, Silent Strider and Numa like this.
  7. Super Ki

Super Ki Avatar

If you have to opt into it, it wont be unexpected. Cause no one will opt into pvp with their miner or crafter.

This is trammel all over again! Aint that why we all left UO? Cause of the trammel / Fell pvp opt?

8. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Well, this might be something you just have to get used to, because this is not uo, and not uo2. If you want to play uo you can still play it by subscribing or joining a free shard. I realize you are passionate about this and it is important to you, but its simply not gonna happen the way your looking at it in this game. :(

Time Lord, Silent Strider and Numa like this.
  9. Super Ki

Super Ki Avatar

I only recently became aware of this - so i have not seen the kickstarter campaign, but i hear what say, and i do understand. But i also think that a lot of people is pledgeding or will pledged in the hopes of getting that UO feeling back.

I will pledge as soon as i know how the PvPing is going to be. If its close to UO i will most definitely pledge.

L.M. Avorin Swiftslay likes this.
  10. Super Ki

Super Ki Avatar

Nah, i know! i realise that! But i do still have the hopes that maybe the can make a system that will work.

I do like the idea of areas with rare monsters / resources with forced pvp. I do fear that getting killed as a blue will simply cost you a bit of gold or just a ghost run, and the price for dying as red you will loose half you skills. I hope that in those areas they will make full loot, and NO STATLOSS for reds.

Also i hope the bring back the bounty boards and that you could take the head of a red.

And it does seem like they are going that direction.

11. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I do hope that they can come to a very good balance and walk that fine line between pvp and pve. I really want everyone to get as much as they can out of this game, even you! :) I would hate to be the dev staff dealing with all our bickering haha.

12. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

Actually, just to clear up a point...no, Trammel is not why "we all" left UO. For myself, and enough others to alarm EA, we left UO because of the PKs and griefers, and made it very clear why we were leaving. They created Trammel to stem the mass hemorrhaging of the player base to other games that were coming out that had consensual pvp. I personally only went back to UO because of Trammel. If not for Trammel I would never have gone back. Not for love or money. IMO, the good things about UO were the housing, crafting, vendors, etc. and non-pk/griefer community. To me, the combat sucked and the pks/griefers sucked and completely ruined the game.

disclaimer: I make a clear distinction between pvpers who enjoy healthy competition with others of like mind and pks/griefers who only enjoy a testosterone overdose and ruining someone else's fun.

13. Dhailen

Dhailen Avatar

I left before Trammel because I got tired of people sitting down to my $100 poker game with $5 in their pockets claiming they were making the game more exciting for ME.

14. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

I left because of the grief and annoyance. This combined with the sanctioned gold farmers and bots (and yes they were sanctioned and some are still chummy with the Dev team here even today) that ruined the economy drove me and all my friends off.

It certainly wasn't the auto attack/ macro-centric combat system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. ilcontegis

ilcontegis Avatar

I completely agree.
    We have 2 type of mmorpg:
    1. All the garbage (Wow, all korean things, etc...)..all identical..grind, item based, boring pvp, no full loot, etc...
    2. UO around the Renaissance period, afterwards it became the same garbage as the other above.
    Up to now I have never seen a different type of mmorpg....to me it seems that SotA is progressively becoming a type 1 mmorpg....
    So I have no idea of what innovation some people are looking for..up to now I have seen no innovation to SotA.. Maybe it will come later, I hope so
    Up to now is just standard mmorpg with a theme ispired from UO.
    Same thing happened with Skyrim (great game) and the Elder Scroll (total garbage)

That's of course just my humble opinion.
    If I could play UO renaissance enhanced and with a great 3d graphic I would be the happiest person on the planet...I know I keep dreaming..

Super Ki and Ara like this.
  16. ilcontegis

ilcontegis Avatar

That's the point..we have already so many clone games...doing all the same thing..what's the point of SotA if it's another boring mmorpg where you don't need to think and just repeat the same action?

UO IS THE ORIGINALITY even 20 years later...

Unfortunately it seems that new generations prefer to grind and mindlessly repeat the same action to farm rare objects which once obtained will keep forever..

Give me another game which is still played after 20 years....

Super Ki and Ara like this.
  17. Betamox

Betamox Avatar

I left UO after Trammel/Felucia because the world felt less alive and interactive.

digitallyjinxed likes this.
  18. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

There is wisdom to this.

We can still give feedback, and tell people what we like to get compromise that more people are happy with. In the long run we must accept compromise.

blaquerogue likes this.
  19. Ara

Ara Avatar

There was no grief during UO Renaissance since felucca was consensual PvP.

blaquerogue and Isaiah like this.
  20. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

NOT TRUE!!! There was grief in Trammel. They thought by eliminating PvP that grief would go away WRONG. I know because one of my alts was a GM lumberjack/Axe fighter. the GM lumber-jacking added like 35% extra damage for an axe ... so where am I going with this???

STORY TIME:
    In the beginning of trammel they had a way of determining who had looting rights. It was based upon how much damage a person did, and you got a bonus for landing the killing blow. So I went into shame (there were lots of newbies fighting earth elementals to raise skill and get gold). They would take like 5 minutes to kill one of those guys. However my axe fighter could kill them in like 3 hits. So I would run around shame finding newbies that have hurt the elementals to 3/4 or less, and then I would one hit kill it, and loot it as fast as I can.

I would steal the loot like 80% of the time or more. It was griefing, but I was playing by the rules of the game. I didn't like trammel rules very much, because there was no way to punish people for pissing you off. Felucca was better. These guys got really pissed and for like a month of doing this I had numerous times where people said they were going to call a GM on me. Not once did I even get contacted by a GM because I wasn't cheating. However after about a month of doing this (it never got old for me, it was hilarious, and I made good money), they released a patch that changed the looting rules so that the person who does the kill blow no longer counts, looting was based on damage only.

However I did actually get one guy to follow me back to felucca to fight me one on one. (Keep in mind these were likely trammies from birth, 1x or 2x gm at the most, and they could hardly kill earth elementals by standing right next to them and swinging). So after some insults, I just straight up attacked him and slowly killed him while stopping to type some comments, and I got the murder count, his friend tried to join in after it was clear my hits basically took a almost half of his health, and I killed him for free too. Looted them both. Was great. This guy was my evil alt so it was okay. I was role playing a bad guy and he did bad stuff. lol That was my excuse.

EDIT: I did piss off a lot of trammies at that time, and I always offered to go back to felucca so they could take me out. (ALMOST ALL OF THEM CLAIMED THAT I ONLY DID THIS BECAUSE I WAS TOO WEAK, AND THEY COULD KICK MY BUTT ONE ON ONE) Only this one guy and his buddy ever took me up on that offer. Not having a PvP option or dual option sucks. THIS IS A GOOD REASON FOR HAVING A DUALING OPTION IN SOTA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.