1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

PVP & Death: Current Thinking Megapost

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

So that's how you rationalize derailing the PvP threads? Huh. I just tell these people there will be no non-consentual pvp and move on. Speaking of your tangents, what is this thread about again?

blaquerogue and Time Lord like this.
  2. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

Pot calling the kettle black.... How about you follow your own advice?

This thread is about many things, not just PVP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rufus D`Asperdi and Time Lord like this.
  3. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]
    Isaiah Asked;

So that's how you rationalize derailing the PvP threads? Huh. I just tell these people there will be no non-consentual pvp and move on. Speaking of your tangents, what is this thread about again?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here, read it off Goldie's :p Hawn :D

~Time Lord~:eek:

4. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

If you dont think this is the greatest song ever I will fight you!

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Ara

Ara Avatar

Yes i did tell you that my guild would bring +50 pledgers to a game close to a UO Renaissance one, now i am here alone. That tell me something about what kind of interest such a game would bring. My guild was/is a typical hardcore UO PvP guild and if my guildmembers would be pleased with the PvP features loads of others with the same PvP experience would be just as pleased. That would bring loads of hardcore PvP players to this game. And it surprice me that you believe developers to be experts on PvP? They are experts on creating games - not playing them. I can assure you that i and many in my guild have alot more practical experience of what type of PvP hardcore PvP players seek and what they dont seek in a game.

So +50 is more then 1 and i believe there is alot of other UO PvP guilds out there that wont take part if SotA turn out to be as described by OP. What need to be changed is the card combat- and ransom system. Those 2 features work like a huge turn off for the more hardcore old UO PvP players. Combat system need to be close to this to draw old UO PvP players in in numbers, a combat system based on player skills, not randomness and luck -

I think developers should know how old UO PvP players see on some of their PvP features and why i try to inform them just that is cause i want the game to become a more successful one.

A change is needed, more risk vs reward and consequences in PvP. Evyn had a good suggestion and i believe we will see something like that when developers address PvP next time.

And dont worry about non-consensual PvP since it will never be in this game, didnt you read the kickstarter?

blaquerogue likes this.
  6. ilcontegis

ilcontegis Avatar

My point is that the reason why Garriott and Friends have chosen not to design that game is because, a korean clone would surely bring more money.
    From a financial point of view making a wow clone or neverwinter clone or "put a mmorpg of your choice" clone will bring more money than making a UO renaissance remake! Unfortunately this is not what I want to I humbly say my opinion.

New generations don't want to think, they just want to mindlessly push buttons and repeat...UO was a really complex game which needed training and a lot of experience to be played.

I know that anyway there will never be a great UO remake, still as I pledged 90$ for this game I feel I have to say my opinion.
    Many people here (me included) saw SotA as the long awaited UO2, that's why they pledged. Unfortunately more the time is passing more those people are realizing that SotA will be simply another mmorpg clone...Nothing will change I have accepted it.

Maybe another company one day will make the game that many of us want, which is UO old style with some enhancements and 3D graphics.. SotA as I already said, looks more and more like a korean mmorpg clone with an UO theme on top of it. That's all.

digitallyjinxed and blaquerogue like this.
  7. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Be Careful what you say! It could turn out that way someday!

8. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Yet Ara concludes that your position is untrue, and that a UO clone would be more financially viable.

Either way, the decision has been made to not produce a UO clone.

Niether you nor Ara, unless you have credentials that you'd like to make public, have been making computer games for 3 Decades. Niether you nor Ara know Richard's mind other than what he has stated publically. I will trust their expertise over your opinion. I hope that doesn't offend.

Publicly, Richard has stated that the design decisions made for Ultima Online led to unanticipated consequences that he didn't like. He has stated that he wishes SotA to be a spiritual successor of the entire ultima series, not just UO, but including some of UO. As an aside, a game can fail to include some elements of a predecessor and still remain a spiritual successor.

To my mind, he is building what he wants to build as I am not a telepath and cannot know what he is actually thinking.

For your position to be true, that he is building solely what you believe will be the most financially viable game he can think of, and in your estimation he is designing for financial success and not his vision, then you must necessarily believe that he's lying to you and that his stated vision is not what he would actually like to build.

Is that what you believe? He's sold out to the man, and is in it for filthy lucre alone?

9. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I've pledged more than $2000.00 and am considering an increase in that total on the promise that it will not be a UO clone. If you pledged on the belief that it was to be UO2 then you and the other like you did so without educating yourselves, because it was never so advertised; not from day 1. You've no one to blame for that other than yourselves.

10. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

theres a couple times they were not experts in the games they made! You can look that up if you wish, thats a fact by the way :)

11. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

you know even in Trammel i could dirtnap you! :) its called aggro invis (evil Grin) Thats how i got Pks that i knew had blues, no area was safe!

12. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I've no need. One learns more from Failure than success.
    My belief is that Richard learns from his mistakes and is incorporating those lessons into this title. I would not have pledged otherwise.

blaquerogue likes this.
  13. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

WOW had better graphics thats about it, the rest was just grinding. well see in 10 years if WoW could keep up with UO's standings!

14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Yes... A flaw in a solution to an attempt to correct a failure.
    This and other exploits is what there will only be Consensual PvP through the Oracle quest so that those who wish to consent to being 'dirt napped' by whatever hole can be found to exploit in whatever system is devised may do so to their heart's content while those that wish to be uninvolved may do so.

I wish you hours and hours of joy dirtnapping all that have consented to play that game!
    Sincerely.

Thank you for helping me make my points.

15. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Im hearing a lot of personal opinions from you that I and a lot of others just cant agree with you on! You act like you know RG, and the team personally! Honestly i think your just hoping that your money doesn't go to waste, that is the only thing we have in common with you, and can all agree on. If things change, i honestly dont think you would up and quit, you would still play like most of us, but you may not play multiplayer, but that's ok you have a lot of options in this game! you can choose not to get ganked, and you can choose not to hang out with us, so i really dont see a problem from your end, now from a PVP'rs end there needs to be more changes for us to like it as much as you like it right now. let me ask you a question have you played the final release of this game? None of us have, so just keep your fingers crossed like we do that all will turn out to be ok! :)

16. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

This is PVP/death current thinking isn't it? Maybe im lost, and should be in the PVP/Death current thinking thread!

17. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

WoW is less than 6 months from its 10th aniversary and still has more than 7 Million subscribers. Last I looked, UO has less than 50,000... and 10 years into it's run had somewhat less than 100,000.
    10 years after its release, WoW has 70% of its peak subscribership.
    10 years after it's release, UO had 40% of its peak subscribership.

At it's peak UO had just shy of a quarter million... 1/40th (2.5 Percent) of WoW's subscriber base at it's peak.

It appears that WoW is keeping up quite well.

18. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Same goes for all the no, looting, no death, no skill, PVP my way or none, people, i too will not stand by idly while they come in and protest against something that i and others support in the PVP forums, if they think i will just take the blows and not fight back they are living in an imaginary world! where rainbows are made of candy, and it rains skittles! I dont want to have to taste the rainbow! So i will fight. By the way Rufus for someone that particularly doesn't particularly like PVP in all its glory, you sure PVP well in here! Just saying from observation! Ive read all your posts and i haven't ignored you yet!

19. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Actually, I do... but not well anymore. I've known Richard since the early 80's playing in the SCA together. I was once the Herald of our local Barony (Bryn Gwlad is the Barony. I was known as Gunter von Wissenberg which is the name Richard would most likely recognize.). I also used to work on the spook houses he would produce at Britannia Manor each halloween. I lived three doors south of Starr Long while he was working on UO. However, I don't know them well, and while Richard might recognize me on sight, I doubt Starr would. I haven't socialized with Richard in two decades (Holy crap!), and have met, and talked to, but never socialized with Starr. I don't presume to know anything other than what I've read and see in videos.
    I've also known Dupre and Iolo since before Ultima I.
    You are likely correct, unless it comes to pass that PvP becomes Required, or Non-Consensual (Niether of which I believe have a high probability of happening), or the community becomes so toxic and hateful that I cannot enjoy myself. I believe that has a higher probability of happening, and have voiced that concern.

20. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

what if it turns out to be something you didn't want? Like a lot of others they did not get their money back so you might as well adapt and overcome it. I will. No matter what the outcome is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.