Afraid of PvP? Why?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Mitara, Jul 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Batoche1864

Batoche1864 Avatar

Having been in more than a few RL confrontations and being well trained to deal with such, I don't 'fear' PvP in a game but find there has yet to be a game that accurately portrays RL situations and thus I find PvP, boring, frustrating and infuriating. Those three things aren't what I look for from my entertainment.

I can't find the post where the person describes PvE as being part of the puzzle and his enjoyment of the story in RPG's and I concur with that sentiment and thus why I choose to avoid games that force me to PvP.

Night Owl, docdoom77, Isaiah and 8 others like this.
  2. Gaelis

Gaelis Avatar

More people would be filled with enthusiasm about PvP for certain if everyone / much more would do it this way. :)
    Reality shows different behaviour, spawn-point camping, ganking as far as possible under their own lvl, groups killing single player twice or more and so on and on.
    You should blame them for more and more player don't want to be involved in PvP .
    I played PvP in EQ2 a long time, on the german server first and after server merge on Nagafen. I got to know both sides of PvP, the good and the bad.

3. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

Afraid? No. I tend to play as much PvP as I play PvE.

But there are kinds of PvP I find enjoyable, and kinds of PvP that I find an utter drag, frustrating and lacking in anything that could interest me. Any kind of non-consensual PvP is this second kind, and I will never engage in it, going as far as to kill out my own character in order to not take part in the fight if attacked.

There is also the issue that I find any kind of looting to be unacceptable. I see it as too close to real world robbery to be comfortable with it.

Batoche1864, Isaiah, Crikey and 4 others like this.
  4. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I'm not afraid of PvP. I'm afraid of a terrible implementation of PvP. I want:
    1) The lowest possible barriers so that everyone feels comfortable participating. (Trying PvP shouldn't be punishing. You simply fail to achieve what you set out to do.)
    2) Discouragement and management of toxic play. ("Role playing evil" and hurting another person's gaming experience shouldn't be the same thing. )
    3) Equal opportunity balance. (No level / gear / skill gaps.)
    4) Reward / opportunity cost reasonably in line with other options. (If there's no reward, people won't participant. Too much and people will exploit.)
    5) The focus should be on objectives, rather than killing players. (Capture and hold the mine, castle, etc.)
    6) The focus should be on intrinsic rather than extrinsic rewards. (i.e. be "meaningful" rather than big piles of loot)
    7) The effects of PvP should impact all players, participating or not. (e.g. the enemy took the castle, tax rates go up, we lose hunting grounds, etc. And likewise the rewards might gain access to new mines, forges, towns full of housing, etc.)

5. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

To assume everyone is afraid of pvp is probably a poor choice of words. Many factors are involved in why people choose not to pvp. Some people role play and they want to be as close to virtuous as possible. Some people do not like killing. Some people only like to craft.
    Its easy to assume people are afraid, but some times the person behind the mask might have some physical difficulties that inhibit performance. Some of us are older than others. The honost truth is nobody really knows, unless he's your real life friend and you have conversations about it in real life. Having compassion and getting to know peoples characters is probably the best way to figure out why. For some people, they do not want to reveal their real life situations, and want to play a role that makes them feel comfortable and whole.

6. Andrew Knightowl

Andrew Knightowl Avatar

I want a pvp fight to be fair not the player to fear me or be afraid( a fair duel )a challenge .I will watch like others and see what happens in the next few release's .

7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Why do we even want to force people into PvP at all. Why even try to entice those who don't want to? If they don't want to let them stay that way.

However the people who are open to the idea of PvP will likely try it without much enticing. That's something to think about.

Time Lord, Noctiflora and Sir Cabirus like this.
  8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

This is a cool perspective that I think is over looked. The dualist perspective. Being flagged for Open PvP is the possibility to be attacked at any time.

Even a PvE player can participate in a dual. This is a match for the sake of a match. It could be a tournament, it could be fighting over a dame. Whatever.

I'm glad SotA has this option.

9. Scolari79

Scolari79 Avatar

Not afraid I just dont like it that much. I guess the main reason is from past experiences with PvP. Mostly the "OMG I roxxor/leet and you suck" smack talk from 80% of the people. Maybe it was just those games but I'm sure it'll still happen here eventually.

Or the 3 vs. 1 fights they think are a fair fight and then run away once it's 3 vs. 3

10. Johnny Black

Johnny Black Avatar

This is why you inform the moderators about the thread rather then responding to it, report it... You guys are making it too easy for trolls on this forum to flame everywhere, please just don't feed them anymore.

Time Lord, Noctiflora and Mitara like this.
  11. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

I am interested in playing with and against the world and inhabitants that Richard & team create here. I am uninterested in competing with people. The same reason why I play single player or local co-op and have no interest in other MMOs or Xbox Live multiplayer.

There is some assumption that those that do not take part in PVP are players that think they would consistently lose if they did (they are "afraid.") This is untrue. I just don't really feel a sense of pride from winning those kinds of competitions with strangers. I find pleasure in the challenges and stories of the game itself.

12. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

For me it is the 'fear' factor that I get the kick out of, the sense of unknown and random unexpectant attacks, the fear of loss if you lose.....that's what I love.

PvP isn't for everyone and and fine with that, I'd rather play a game that has the ability to include everyone ...... That is the foundation of what all this is about.... Lots of people forming groups doing their own things in their own way..... A community.

Time Lord, Soleidad, Gaelis and 4 others like this.
  13. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Envy, you posted something I can agree with you on! :)

14. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

See we are not always evil and horrible :D

15. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

[​IMG]

16. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

I generally don't PvP in MMOs (or quickly get bored with it) because I've never felt it to be very engaging. I play other games if I want to compete against other players because I feel they do it better. I intend to see what R8 is like but I don't expect it'll be much different to any other MMO.

Time Lord and Batoche1864 like this.
  17. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

That's like asking why I'm afraid of door-to-door evangelists. Or having live pigeons in my bedroom at night. Or being in a romantic relationship with Gilbert Gottfried.

18. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I read through the yellow text above and that's the point where I started to laugh uncontrolably. "Hey man, what's wrong? You don't like being ganked?" LOL

"Why don't you like being ganked man? It's fun, I do it to myself all the time! Watch, I'm going to go mine some ore over there and when I get just to the point where I'm about to cash in on my gathering...I'm going to stab myself in the back! Then I'm going to laugh at myself and camp my own corpse. Cause it's fun! Why you don' t like being ganked, man?"

LOL

Time Lord, Mitara, Noctiflora and 4 others like this.
  19. Sarg

Sarg Avatar

There's no such thing as a fair fight in open PvP. One side or the other pretty much always brings extra people, or choose a target they know won't be able to defeat them.

I'll participate in PvP where there are disproportionate in-game rewards for it, or to help out an organization (nation/city/whatever) that I support. However, when I want to RP, or go shopping for a new weapon or complete a quest, I don't want to PvP at those times. I want to RP. Or Shop. Or Quest. PvP is the only playstyle that tries to force itself on those that aren't interested. A PvPer getting the drop on and hitting a non-PvPer distracted by engaging in other activities isn't really "risk" for the PvPer, despite what many of them will claim.

20. Ultima Aficionado

Ultima Aficionado Avatar

I just want to address the posters who accuse PKs as forcing other members of the community into doing something they do not enjoy
    This is hypocritical, are you not attempting to "force" PVP players into doing something they do not enjoy; namely, strolling through what is essentially Trammel with no risk from other players. I find this gameplay style to be quite shallow.

PVP is a competitive sport, it requires players to accumulate strong allies to fend off brigands and bandits. This enhances the realism of the game and creates a more vibrant game for players such as myself.

I do think it is fear, the younger generation of gamers have not experienced this style of game. It is the same fear which prevents one from trying something different.

I have played tgd Ultimas and quite enjoyed the early days of Ultima Online, Ultima was an entirely different world until EA became too involved and began destroying Ultima Online and Ultima with Ultima 9.

Time Lord, Mitara, Soleidad and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.