Afraid of PvP? Why?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Mitara, Jul 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Batoche1864

Batoche1864 Avatar

I'm reposting the entire exchange so those of you who may have missed it can see it in its entirety.

Ted do you not see the irony and the hypocrisy in your statements? Ultima Afficianado has been participating in this thread with greater and greater amounts of hyperbolic statement culminating in a post where he basically states that there is absolutely no reason for consensual-PvP and a threat to leave if his way is not enforced, I'd love to quote it but that particular post seems to have disappeared, to which Rufus gave a well thought out and polite rebuttal stating the facts as they are from the devs and letting Ultima know he's welcome to go as it really doesn't look like Ultima is going to get his way.

You then post a threat to leave as well in what I took to be a less than civil way, to which the simple reply was to show you where that can be done. At that point you breakout the sarcasm. If anyone is making this place less than "Such a great place to be part of." I'd have to say that's a well used pot trying to call the brand new kettle black.

Others may have different views of these events and I welcome such, but doing it rudely or without the facts to back spurious claims leaves those who do so open to polite rebuttal.

YMMV

2. Batoche1864

Batoche1864 Avatar

I strongly agree with Ned here Hisec pops are always many times the low sec populations. In addition Eve has one of the strongest civil responses I've seen in a game, should you be attacked in area's that reasonable safety should be expected the NPC response is swift and sure and even if the perpetrators against you get away with it the devs of Eve have provided multiple ways you can get your revenge on such with little risk and even fairly low investment of either time or resources.

Companies don't put strong limits on PvP because people whine and cry about it, they do so because it hurts their bottom line, most people just vote with their feet when they're unhappy. So if you want to be the kind of player who takes some joy in making others unhappy don't be surprised if the Company responsible for the game takes actions to limit your ability to do so to those who don't wish to be bothered by such as yourself.

As Always YMMV

Mitara and Noctiflora like this.
  3. Scolari79

Scolari79 Avatar

I plan on being a blacksmith or tailor. If I don't make potions or go fishing does that mean I'm afraid of glass bottles or Bass? OH NO!!!

4. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

Why you ask? I am afraid of PvP because of how it affects forums. :D

5. Floors

Floors Avatar

I'm pretty sure that once PvP is open the forums will calm down. Every time the game is actually on, the forums are much quieter.

Seems that way to me anyway.

6. Batoche1864

Batoche1864 Avatar

Ok there was the one-two punch that made me laugh out loud enough my neighbour called over to find out what was up.

Thanks guys, I needed a belly buster today.

7. Batoche1864

Batoche1864 Avatar

Regarding the level of weapons and armour in fantasy tavern settings, the only place I can think of where everyone is universally capable of deadly violence in a fantasy tavern is in games. In every movie I can think of that has a fantasy setting tavern the only people in the bar who look capable of violence are those that you either know are integral to the plot or are about to become some part of the plot large or small.

I'm only going to give one example because I don't feel like typing all day, but this one should be fairly easy to check. The first hobbit movie where Gandalf has arranged to meet Throrin, go through that scene slowly I'm damn near positive that everyone with any kind of weapon is a principle to the plot, a spy for a power to be named later and thugs hired by the current adversary who get scared off by Gandalf.

This makes me think of a pen'n'paper RPG that coincidentally is also from a company from Austin and created by a friend and co-producer of games RG has worked on. In the book, written by Steve Jackson "In the Labyrinth: a Game Masters Guide" there is a description of the differences between 'Adventurer' and others. He describes adventurers as being the rare few, they start out with more abilities and are remarkable in their drive to find the new and interesting ie. adventures. It is something I keep in mind in every RPG I play. The PC and the NPC's they encounter are the exceptions to the common man or woman and not the example, and thus act and react far differently from all others. Basically all PC's and most NPC's are heroes or anti-heroes of one sort or another. It goes a long way to making sense of some the things that are common to RPG/Adventure games that don't ring true as common behaviour.

As one of those guys who finds himself running towards the crisis at hand with tools to cope with it in hand as opposed to running away on a regular basis in real life, these games satisfy my core personality very well.

Just some completely off topic comments, YMMV

8. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

Alright, I am not seeing any new or constructive information here, and this thread is just serving to reinforce stereotypes and widen the gap between the PvP and PvE camps. So just like the dad on a road trip, I'm stopping this car (and archiving the thread).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.