Afraid of PvP? Why?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Mitara, Jul 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitara

Mitara Avatar

I think it could be interesting to know why people are afraid of PvP.
    Is it because you dont wanna be ganked? Is it because you dont like the option that you could loose everything og maybe its because you dont like that the "gankers" cannot be punished for their crimes. Maybe you just want to be in control and have everything you meet in the world weaker than you.

What is your take on PvP, why are you afraid of it?

2. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

I'm not afraid of PvP - I'm just not interested. I'm interested in a good and complex story instead and in detecting and exploring the world. I'm more a fan of the storytelling Ultimas like U5, U6 and U7 as of UO.

Asclepius, Morkul, Soleidad and 18 others like this.
  3. Mata

Mata Avatar

I'm not afraid!
    I can not and don't even want to.
    I just want to leave no play style to force me.
    I want to decide for themselves when I put myself in danger.

ich habe keine angst!
    ich kann es nicht und will es auch nicht können.
    ich will mir nur keinen spielstil aufzwingen lassen.
    ich will selber entscheiden wann ich mich in gefahr begebe.

Asclepius, Morkul, Soleidad and 13 others like this.
  4. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Considering the demeaning way you worded that what response do you really expect?

Anyway why do I want to play against a game rather than a person? various reasons, because there are no feelings involved for a game, I can do anything I see fit without any meta thinking, because I care about the narrative and because I view combat as a puzzle to be solved the same as any other puzzle the game throws at me. Also I like playing WITH people against the game

Asclepius, Morkul, Soleidad and 18 others like this.
  5. royalsexy

royalsexy Avatar

I enjoy playing WITH other people, not against them

Angor, Curt, Asclepius and 17 others like this.
  6. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

You mistake Loathing for Fear. Having fear of the very temporary and virtual death of pixels would seem to me to be a very odd thing. Why should one fear that? It's not the loathing of the activity, it's the loathing of that small segment of the PvP community who would victimize those that don't wish to play their game.

It's also the Loathing of being pulled into someone else's game on their timetable at their whim with no choice in the matter given to me. When I log in, I normally have plans about what I wish to do during my (limited) play time. Being pulled into another's plans without choice is the second leg in the stool.

The third would be as Royalsexy says... I prefer, normally, to play With people rather than Against them, though I have been known to enjoy PvP when it is mutually consensual.

7. dp_dropout

dp_dropout Avatar

Defining people with a pve play style as 'afraid' is ludicrous. Take your hormones elsewhere.
    I don't enjoy pvp. Period.
    I also do not want the precious online time that I have interfered with without my consent.
    I will not play a game which forces me to do that or which limits me in my freedom. The fact that pvp zones will spawn lots more rare resources is borderline for me, anything more and I will sell my pledge and look for a different game.

8. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Ever jump off a cliff in a game and get that sinking feeling in anticipation for the impact. You know it's going to damage your character and there is a chance it's going to kill you. If there is no chance of death then the sinking feeling isn't there. That sinking feeling is what you think of when you say fear of PvP.

That's not why people don't like PvP.

There are plenty of other reasons to not be interested in PvP.

Time is a big factor for many. They have a game they want to play and wading through all those people that want to drag them into PvP takes away from what they want.
    Unbalanced PvP is more of a long term detractor. More so in the area of high level/gear players are bored with the game and move on to fast kills and easy kills. (often in an attempt to draw out better PvPers)
    Bugs and exploits, or other unfair advantages. The longer these go unaddressed and fixed the more people will not want to PvP.

We are many generations into PvP in an online setting. People have learned what they don't like. It's not fear, it's distaste and calling them "afraid" just adds to that.

9. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Why would you assume that because some ppl don't want to PvP, that it automatically means that they are afraid of it? I'm just simply not interested in it.
    I just want to play a game with a good, complex story very much like the older Ultimas.

Asclepius, Morkul, rune_74 and 10 others like this.
  10. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

I suppose this could just as easily have been asked too:

Afraid of PvE? Why?

I think it could be interesting to know why people are afraid of PvE.
    Is it because you can’t PK someone? Is it because you can’t gloat over someone’s dead corpse? Is it because you can’t steal someone’s hard earned gear? Maybe you just like picking on weak and newbies and can’t get your thrills in a PvE world. Maybe you just want to be out of control and lawless and ruin other peoples experience.

What is your take on PvE and why are you afraid of it?

But more importantly… why do you care in either case? This game gives people the option to play either way… and play the way THEY WANT… not the way you want to force them to play. This is the true beauty of this game. This thread reads more like another attempt at trolling and the OP is very condescending. It’s not like the question hasn’t been asked and answered in hundreds of other threads yet.

(Up until now I have avoided weighing in on the PvP vs PvE debate... as I found it too distasteful in tone in most threads... and this one proves it again but I felt I just needed to say something for a change and point out the tone of the initial post.)

grnarrow, Asclepius, rune_74 and 10 others like this.
  11. Logain

Logain Avatar

I wish I could like that more than once, as it basically describes my feelings rather well with just a slight addition, namely that a good deal of people cheats to get their characters. Be it that they are running a macro/bot for a month, or that they simply purchase a character/equipment with their pocketmoney. I used to enjoy and like the thrill of open world, drop everything PvP in another MMORPG that was very similar to UO, until people started to cheat on such an intense scale that I found I had no chance simply because I refrained from cheating myself (they outleveld me and had way better gear and yes, I am convinced that a player who is online 23 hours and 45 minutes per day for over a month *IS* cheating). If I refrain to "play poker" with a friend who always has an ace up his sleeve, it doesn't mean I'm afraid to play poker.
    Amusingly enough these very same people never wanted to play MOBAs with me, where we would have had equal chances and where they could not just cheat to get a headstart.

12. Mitara

Mitara Avatar

I kinda like that people are saying "I dont fear PvP, but....", as so many posters here do. But yeah ok, maybe "distaste" is a better word after all.
    And that was really my question, what is it that makes you distaste a world that doesnt have fake rules? UO tried to simulate as much as possible, becuase often real life is more exciting than any story. I think it went wrong because there were no consequences.

What if the AI became stronger, so that you as a player wouldnt completely always dominate the situation, but would have an actual challenge when you did meet that Lion or Ogre. Would that be ok? Or would you prefer to always dominate?

13. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

for me the reason why i dont like PVE is that it doesnt offer the same challenge as PVP, example: Im in a dungeon killing off monsters created by the game, the tension is building because they are pretty tough, "BAM ganked by a pvpr/pkr" that is why i like PVP the fact that somone could just roll up on me and gank me. That kind of excitement i cant get in PVE. (that was an honest to goodness answer) why i prefer PVP

14. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

You do realize that some people are only interested in the single player aspect of this game. As such, PvP becomes irrelevant.

15. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

And that same scenario is exactly why others don't like it. I respect both views and love the fact this game will allow both play styles. What I object to is people assuming the other style is 'bad' and trying to rub it in.

(Edit: I also want to point out I found blaquerogue's comment refreshing as it was an honest answer without any pointed tone towards other play styles or players.)

Asclepius, royalsexy, Arianna and 6 others like this.
  16. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

And your question has been answered many times over in this thread as well as others. Which part of these answers were unclear?
    Again with your phrasing you are choosing to be insulting. You make an assumption that A. AI's are not a challenge and B. that people that don't PvP want to 'always dominate'. I enjoy PvP on occasion but it is the attitudes and assumptions in your posts, and others, that is a large part of why I am glad that PvP is a choice and not forced upon anyone.

17. Crikey

Crikey Avatar

Mitara, please note that as of this moment, nobody has 'liked' your post.

But many players have 'liked' the replies to your post.

There is a 'message' there, for you, Mitara.

I hope that you can interpret that message, and I hope you are not afraid to acknowledge it.

Divinyl, Asclepius, rune_74 and 14 others like this.
  18. Brighton Rock

Brighton Rock Avatar

In UO I started a character on Siege Perilius. So I went outside town and started to fight some animals to gather some resources. A guy walks by, watches me and after i finally killed that hind, he kills me.
    So I go to a healer, get resurrected run back to my corpse - guy kills me again. Again healer, back to corpse - I ask that guy why he's doing that - answer: I like to kill noobs. Kills me again. So much fun, I log off.
    Next day, different guy, same fun...

Felucca: me chopping wood, guy passes by, walks in and out of the screen for a few minutes...then opens a moongate and two reds come out... so much fun...

from my experiences its always the PVP-people who want everything they meet being weaker.
    because I never ever had a fair fight, theres no fun in PVP for me

19. Mitara

Mitara Avatar

@Crikey : PvP is like a religion, set in a some predefined way in peoples minds. You dont get Likes when you question a religion, even if you are right, I acknowledge that.

If you think my post is insulting then I think you are stuck in the "it is, because it is" when im really trying to say "it might be, but what if we changed the rules?".

As a note, Archeage is trying to do just that by allowing player trials and consequences for crimes. Might not be the complete answer though.

@BrightonRock: I had the same type of experience in UO, I was ganked a couple of times, but I learned to both hide and to fight. PKers hate it when they meet resistance. I dont want the PK situation at all, I too want to avoid that, just maybe not to go in the complete other direction.

20. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I dont! I would never roll up on a noob, too boring for me, no challenge, i will however roll up on a red, much more satisfying! I dont know how good he is and apparently hes killed off people, which were probably noobs, I kill him, take his crap to the noob that got killed and give it to him, justice has just been served. OK now i can only speak for my PVPr.

Soleidad, Arianna, Gaelis and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.