Afraid of PvP? Why?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Mitara, Jul 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

LoL. not sure about the statement. Realism adds Immersion? Not for me. This is a fantasy Role Play Game. Realism is the opposite of fantasy. You are role playing a Person who likes to fight and kill other people. That is your fantasy character. Realism would be you doing this in real life, which I hope you do not.

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Yeah, they are playing all those great PVP games out there right now...like Darkfall. :confused:

Unfortunately they represent a very small portion of the mass market, and if it was just as simple as making a game full loot and open pvp anywhere, then Darkfall would be the greatest game ever made. Yet, it's really quite horrible, imo.

Silent Strider, Isaiah and docdoom77 like this.
  3. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

*summons the Time lord to close the time warp* :p

4. Sarg

Sarg Avatar

I played Darkfall for a while at the start. I left after the open loot PVP-ers killed the economy by adopting their "no risk, just reward" method of naked combat. It's still pretty easy to pwn someone when you sneak up behind them while they're smacking a rock (which other players can hear from a decent distance) with a pickaxe that can't be used as a weapon.

Scolari79 likes this.
  5. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

The problem with Open PvP in an MMO FOR ME is that it basically isn't why I play an MMO. It essentially turns the whole game into a giant PvP arena and when I want to do that I'll just go play something like Chivalry or Planetside 2 rather than deal with a lackluster combat system, leveling or "gearing" my character, or the annoying downtime associated with something like full loot or a justice system. Those games do it better. I play MMOs to explore a world.

6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

So what's funny about this is that I followed darkfall (and was a mod there briefly), had a fansite, for a long LONG time....

And I can't tell you how many times over the 10 years of development that game had where we talked specifically about "naked mages" and "naked gank squads". It just goes to show you that you can never really beat a dead horse long enough.

L.M. Avorin Swiftslay likes this.
  7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

this is a great argument. I don't know how, but I'm going to find a way to use this in a conversation some time. :D

Silent Strider and docdoom77 like this.
  8. Ultima Aficionado

Ultima Aficionado Avatar

Man's laws are only as good as the enforcement of aforementioned laws. Despite that being said, the members of the society (players) should be the ones enforcing the laws and not the developers.

Mitara and blaquerogue like this.
  9. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

So you agree then? ok that should be easy enough to obtain proof, you just take a screen shot as the offence is occurring and then take the accused to trial. You could have a jury and a proper trial

Mitara likes this.
  10. Ultima Aficionado

Ultima Aficionado Avatar

You are entitled to your opinion, but I beg to differ. There are many elements of fantasy that are realistic. We can relate to certain characters and experience what they experience through them.

Your logic is flawed to say the least, just because I play a game like grand theft auto, where I can steal cars and run over pedestrians does not mean I will do it in real life. Your argument is nonsense.

blaquerogue likes this.
  11. Ultima Aficionado

Ultima Aficionado Avatar

Yes, assuming you are capable of catching the person and holding him/her for trial.

12. High Baron Asguard

No need, you have video evidence so a police force could be set up to hunt them down quite easily.

13. Baene Thorrstad

Baene Thorrstad Avatar

Except that there's no way for them to do that effectively without help from the developers. What you are saying is something along the lines of "citizens should enforce the laws, not the government or the police". Players simply as players do not have the tools and capability to enforce laws by themselves, without help from the game system, and I mean a lot of help.

There is virtually no way to punish someone who "breaks a law" without their consent unless the developers add in this capability. In a large community like this it is ludicrous to think that the players could, without help from the developers, manage to police the game as a whole and have even the thinest fighting chance at it.

Jambot, Silent Strider and Noctiflora like this.
  14. Floors

Floors Avatar

15. High Baron Asguard

HAHAHAHAH that's brillant

Lord Trady of Blix and Isaiah like this.
  16. Ted Striker

Ted Striker Avatar

Is this still going on? I don't even understand why this debate is still happening. All they need to do is make two mega servers instead of one.

One for PVE

And one for.... PVP.

How complicated is that? A lot of MMO's have done this with servers....

blaquerogue likes this.
  17. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Ultima Afficianado... We are at an impasse between two immutable positions.

You, I gather, will not play a game without full world non-consensual open pvp as existed in the first two years of Ultima Online prior to the introduction of Trammel.
    I will not play is a game without consensual pvp allowing those that choose to to fight wherever they wish but protecting those that do not so choose.

I will not compromise on my position. I assume you will not compromise on yours.
    Your view is exclusionary. My view is exclusionary.

And should the world come down to this, where there is no middle ground, the developers have a choice as to which audience they wish to cater to.

It would seem that the developers have made that choice, which is why I backed this endeavor. Had there not be a clear and concise and oft repeated affirmation of this choice, I would never have backed it. Should that decision change, I will sell my account and move on.

You seem to have the same choice, as I believe the developers committed to the concept of consensual PvP, a position most recently restated in the PvP and Combat Hangout that occured last week and was included in the latest update.

So, it seems you have a choice to make.

I don't care what choice you make.

18. Ted Striker

Ted Striker Avatar

Ew, this post makes me want to sell my account....

19. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Player Marketplace

Jambot, docdoom77 and Batoche1864 like this.
  20. Ultima Aficionado

Ultima Aficionado Avatar

It appears to me that the developers are attempting to appease both crowds. It is the reason why there will be PvP in the end game content and battles over resource nodes, which has been discussed. I have not yet seen anywhere that PvP was to be excluded from the game. I will give the game a shot simply because it is created by Richard Garriot and it is a supposedly a "spiritual successor" to Ultima Online. I will make the decision to that latter statement and if it is not a worthy successor I will walk. There are several games in development that are styled after the earlier generation of Ultima Online and people who are willing to deviate from the recent pattern of shallow MMOs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.