Afraid of PvP? Why?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Mitara, Jul 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Artariel

Artariel Avatar

They are afraid because safely afk farming everything and gearing up to the max are what make a good game for them. They don't even want to take a risk, they just want a WoW clone. They pretend to be role players but they have no explanation about being a pirate or murderer. That's it.

2. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

The way I see it, you just insulted the Devs and said they can't design a game that is challenging. The only way this game can be challenging is if people play it your way, not the Dev's way.

3. Artariel

Artariel Avatar

Nice provocation and bait, keep going.

When you are out of arguments, "devs will kill you". There are already lots of WoW clones and they all have inflation and those games are totally gear-based. Is that really what you want? Where is the risk?

Ultima Aficionado likes this.
  4. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Hey lets bring in a ton of other mechanics from the endless list of games on the internet while we are at it.

This is not a WoW clone. This is not gear based. You have no idea where there is risk, yet you claim there is none? Or we can just assume this is some other game, some scrub dev team new to the industry, and pigeon hole them right into a clone of what ever game you choose.

Give them a chance, this is pre-alpha, it's not for everyone. Patience is required, the ability to see what the dev's have in mind and understand their vision is not a bad skill to acquire either.

5. !(Blood0men)!

!(Blood0men)! Avatar

Im not afraid of PvP, I just don't like it.

I prefer NOT pvping at all, I see some players whom are nice pvpers and won't kill those whom innocently get flagged cause;
    1. there new to the game or 2. don't know any better

Now, I am Ok with PvP arena's; players whom want to goto an Arena and kill others for Prizes, loot or some trinket then I can live with that.

6. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

You complain about baiting after your initial post that he responded to? really?

I want an ultima style game....myself personally. Not a WoW clone, how about we drop that silly stance and move on from it please.

It's funny when I hear my old friend Ultima Affictianado stating there should be player run justice all I can think of is lord of the flies. Most of us have read or seen the movie to see how well that worked out.

Silent Strider and docdoom77 like this.
  7. dp_dropout

dp_dropout Avatar

Your assumption is wrong.
    I'm 43 years old and detest PvP with a passion.

8. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Well, you role play a person who steals cars and runs over pedestrians. Do you use your real name in game? Do you use your real life persona? Of course you probably do not do this in real life. And I'm pretty sure facts are not opinions. Reality is reality, fantasy is fantasy. You are getting the real life pleasure out of killing a real fantasy object. That is your realism. You are going after feeling, not fantasy.

9. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

have you been to seige perilous lately? Its open world pvp full loot. Log in once and maybe you will see some one, maybe....

Time Lord and Batoche1864 like this.
  10. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

EEk, this post makes me wonder if you have actually read any information on the game. This game is not the spiritual successor to Ultima Online. This game is the sprititual successor to The ultima game series (you can find them listed here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_(series)#Main_series ). If you scroll down towards the bottom you can see that ultima online was a spin off of the series.

11. Batoche1864

Batoche1864 Avatar

How exactly are the people advocating for consensual PvP forcing the ones who want to PvP to be carebears? We have never said that there shouldn't be any PvP but that those who don't CHOOSE to shouldn't HAVE to participate. Or to paraphrase the OP 'Are you afraid to PvP those who are ready and willing?'

Your opening statement makes no logical sense and reduces the chance that I will take anything you have to say seriously as the hyperbole and misstatement of facts reduces my confidence that you're able to debate rationally.

Just my opinions for others YMMV.

Ps. after i've read the posts that have been made since I started writing this, I can clearly see more than one Rabid PvPer who isn't capable of rational debate. Time to stop feeding the trolls m'thinks.

12. Ted Striker

Ted Striker Avatar

Oh thanks. One thing I live about this community: they're more than happy to get rid of someone who has a differing opinion. Such a great place to be a part of.

13. Kheldras

Kheldras Avatar

Afraid, no.But im against non-consensual PVP..
    But it can ruin fun, when somewhen during questing, a band of highlevel, PvP equipped retards breaks out of a bush, kills you and starts to teabag your dead body.
    It just kills fun and mood. Or a RP feast in the local tavern gets broken up by saidfPvPers "cause they can", and hop around loling and murderung the guests (who dont wear armour and weapons on an RP event.)... BAD experiences in a few other MMOS.

Im sll for PvP when i want, e.g. fight in an Arena, fight in a Battleground, or a special map (GW2 Castle sieges). But as soon as it becomes non-consensual its a big turnoff for me.

14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

You're welcome. You might want to add a cross to your signature to have the tri-fecta.

Batoche1864 and Scolari79 like this.
  15. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

im all for choice as well, as far as RP, i cant think of one fantasy book or movie where one goes into a tavern, to drink with rowdy whatevers and doesnt have armor and a weapon, leather armor at least, unless of course your a mage then it doesnt really matter. As far as RP social events, they shouldnt be in an area where you can get attacked, at least have some guards around to try and prevent that if you are in an open pvp area, or have a closed event in a safe place. But on top of all that we do have an option for PVP or not, so i would just opt out, in that scenario. I totally agree with the statement your trying to do a quest and pkrs jump out on you, it does suck but it comes with the territory if in PVP, if your in PVE then thats just something you wont have to worry about. If i see someone teabagging, and loling guests I will handle them for you those are my favorite to kill! :)*I had to add that disclaimer below because there are certain people in here that will out right start a fight! :)

(for the guy hawking this conversation and his minions i know what the OP said! Im just personally answering Kheldras statement, oh and for the record i vote choice for either pvp or pve.)

16. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

I have no problem with your doing things like stealing cars and running over pedestrians. My concern is that you want, nay, EXPECT, that other players should have to stand around and be the pedestrians you run over.

That's why there needs to be a consent wall for PvP.

17. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

To be fair, I don't think they're trolls, even when some of the content steps over the line. They're super passionate PvPers who are currently engaging in their favorite activity: confrontation with another human being.

Well played.... Well played. ;)

18. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

Heh, hardly anyone has been onto Siege Perilous lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Batoche1864 likes this.
  19. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

You didn't have a differing opinion. You said that the comment made you want to sell your account. Someone was helping you out. If you had an opinion you should have made it known.

My opinion is that PVP is just another activity in the game. It is not feared by anyone, unless it becomes the game. Once that happens, it's annoyance, not fear that drives folks away. Numerous others have tried to make their game a full on PVP FFA and all have either failed or are dying. Don't mention EVE please, most everyone in that game operates in Hisec; Trammel for those of you stuck in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. AndiZ275

AndiZ275 Avatar

to answer this question: I'm not afraid of PvP. I play a lot of PvP in other Online games.

I just don't care for PvP in an Ultima game, since I'm a fan of the old story driven single player Ultima titles and the Kickstarter Campaign promised a story driven adventure like Ultima 7. It's nice that I can play it in SotA cooperatively, so we can enjoy the story together. But I'm not looking for an MMO...

And yeah, I know that there was a game called Ultima Online and I found it technically impressive to gather so many players on a screen, but I found it also boring, repetitive and a step backwards especially in storytelling. (and if I want to play a pure sandbox game, I play Mount & Blade, which is a nice game, but gets very repetitive over some time like most sandbox games do)

So you can play as much PvP in SotA as you like, I just don't care... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.