So yet another unannounced change.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sir Korvash, Jul 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

However, all of this having been said:

I will be looking for something in the future that changes this.

Just because they DO seem to have started a trend...

Batoche1864 and Joviex like this.
  2. Sir Korvash

Sir Korvash Avatar

If you care to read my final response to that issue, I did correct myself, and accept that it was a blanket statement, which was not my intention. I clearly stated, that due to the fact it had been quoted numerous times, that it was pointless to edit the initial post. The post was qouted in to many places, and editing does not change that. And as it obviously wasnt clear enough in the initial reply. I was wrong in the way I initially worded the thread. I made it out to be a blanket statement that covered everything, when my intent was to make it specif to the housing plots.

And the very carefully worded attempt at calling me a liar, did not go unnoticed either. I would report it, but the wording is in a way its not in breach of forum rules, and even if it was, being an ONBE, it would be more then likely ignored.

And no, you personally never said i was a trouble maker. However, it has been the case for 95% of negative feed back, that the person who posted it, is branded as a trouble maker, and just wanting to cause trouble. And no, they were not 'clearly' marked as Lotm/duke only. they were marked as rewards for those tiers, not exclusive rewards. YOU see them as clearly marked as exclusive rewards. but the fact that you are stating that something is not open to interpretation, and is simply 'This is how i read it, so this is how it is" is where i take offence, and more specifically the fact you felt the need to make a post of it in bold letters, just to try and reiterate YOUR point of view.

The tongue face really adds to the fact that its a joke.

And this is not intended as a personal insult, but i know it will come off that way. But your constant defense of portalarium, and your ONBE, put you, at least in my eyes, in the "entitled" group of people, which is in fact, an form of elitism. It has been on several occasions, that has been proven, even early in this very thread, that those who have put money more money in, or have been given official recognition and reward by portalarium are given preferential treatment. Do i think you deserve your ONBE, yes, you do. Do i think anyone is more entitled then someone else based on the money in their wallet, or that they did something for the community to get an official reward. No.

Aegis159 and Papa Woody like this.
  3. Sir Korvash

Sir Korvash Avatar

This, just this. You have just admitted they have started a trend with these "quick subtle changes" (my words) which it should never have become. This in itself proves the point, that portalarium are making a habit of these changes.

Aegis159, Bodhbh Dearg and Joviex like this.
  4. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

I can't disagree with you there (not that I am trying to). I have seen some under-the-counter changes to a few things now, and it cannot be argued that you are incorrect in noting this and calling attention to it.

It is simply the way you do it Korvash... *grins*

Batoche1864 and Mordecai like this.
  5. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

Yes, they have made a trend of listening to the community and "trying" to please everyone at the same time. Where it is common knowledge across any platform in any area of the world, that it is not possible to please all of the people all of the time, and it is often times hard to please some of the people some of the time. Portalarium is a company that is trying, very hard to keep the community involved, trying to keep things on a playing field people will appreciate. Things change, the game is not even out yet, it is still in conception. It is pre-alpha. These things are worded in one way or another to best fit how they wish it. They may miss a word here or there, they are human. But in the end they DO listen and they DO try to fix anything that may look wrong.

You have admitted yourself that you worded things wrong or needed to correct yourself in this very post. Humans make errors, they need to reword. Words on a screen can be misinterpreted by who ever the reader is. So they need to be editted or corrected to clearly reference what they are intending to mean. This has been done on a number of things with portalarium, you are right. But they are only human.

In the end however, Portalarium does listen to the community and does make changes accordingly. They truly do try, and they try very hard. My respect to all of them.

6. DancingShade

DancingShade Avatar

The sky isn't falling and a developer issued clarification is never a problem.

Having some enticing (fully optional) items in the pledge shop to encourage the ongoing funding of the game is entirely a reasonable idea and I personally have no problems with it. This is entirely within the norms of the industry and lets face it - buying what we want gives developers (for any game) reason to create what we want to buy, thus making us all happier.

I trust both the developers and Richard Garriott himself to deliver the game we all want to play. Let's all calm down and just look forward to the next release.

7. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Amber,

It goes deeper than simply listening to the community. There have been some things that people have been requesting some answers on for quite some time, and all they got in response was crickets. Then all of a sudden the wording of some things is modified seemingly on the sly, and the attitude comes across as"how dare you expect us to keep a binding agreement???"

This, I think, is part of what Korvash is alluding to.

It is fine to admit you got in a little over your head with a particular promise, but don't wait months to finally address it, and when you do, you start retconning it so that it now coincides with what you can actually provide.

Aegis159, Joviex, Mordecai and 3 others like this.
  8. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

Not pointless at all. Everyone reading your post that does not have all the information will read that statement and think it is true. Not everyone follows all the responses.

You are incorrect. I did not think you were intentionally lying at all. And I have been moderated before, so your assumption is not correct.

You are incorrect. I did not make it in bold letters to reiterate my statement. I copied and pasted it directly from the update in response to NRaas' comment that it should have been in bold letters (it was.) The header of that section of the update was as it is shown there. It was quicker than taking and posting a screenshot.

The tongue face was also aimed at NRaas. I wasn't actually sure if he was serious about it needing to be in bold (since it was.)

In what way have I been given preferential treatment? I have received absolutely nothing other than kind words and a sentimental token due the work I put in to spread SotA information to the community. I've received no upgrades and no special treatment from moderators.

Batoche1864, Retro, Gaelis and 9 others like this.
  9. Amber Raine

oh i *know* what he was alluding to, I have IRC log files to what he was alluding to and intending. That is not in question and I also stated that I agree that they have done this, while trying to please everyone at the same time. Which is impossible. I also still believe that the game will be amazing even if a few small changes are made here or there. I understand different places where things have not happened as desired, some by the masses, some by a few chosen. They do try however, it is not possible to please everyone all the time, but they do listen and they do try is all I am saying.

10. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Got it... sorry... haven't been on IRC in ... well... forever? *Baaaad Tachys*

Yeah... they need to do a lot less of this, for this very reason. Just stick to the facts, Starr! *grins*

Absolutely no arguments here in this regard ;)

11. Kvothe Kingkiller

Kvothe Kingkiller Avatar

I don't think that a lot of things should be ONLY purchasable with IRL $$$, but, for the amount of money that some backers are spending, they should be recognized for it with something uniquely theirs. I mean, stuff you get for pledging a few hundred or even a thousand dollars should be available for acquisition with in-game currency, but once you pledge an amount of money to help develop a game that could otherwise buy you a decent car or pay for a years rent, you deserve a little exclusivity. To those who are getting your unique lots, congratulations, I respect the HELL out of you for committing so much to this game (I just wish I was financially able to do the same).

Batoche1864, Olahorand, Retro and 6 others like this.
  12. Amber Raine

Nah, like some do not come to the forums (goodness only knows why ~yes.. *that* was sarcasm in a light humour form please read as such ~smiles~ some avoid IRC.

I believe he has actually been one of the strong pursuers of the "facts" and tends to follow "other" peoples comments with DLMB. Or if something is asked of him that is still on the table, he will answer it as best he can with a DLMB following.
    However if they give just the facts, and do less of the pleasing people... then they face the "why are you so closed off". Sadly this is going to happen if they only give facts, they are hiding their personal side of keeping in touch with their community, if they try to befriend us and be on the equal level field with us, they get the "you said this and this even if you were just saying it, we are going to hold you to it".. we have all seen both sides of this coin

It is as if they have no equal ground, they wish to be our friends and just chat with us, but every word that falls from their lips some grasp too tightly to not thinking "maybe they were just tossing ideas out there that were not meant for us to gobble up like candy and get our hopes up high like christmas". I have to say I am one who is both happy I am not in their shoes... but truly wish I could take their shoes and give them better ones that were not so painful :( Its hard to do what they are doing.. they are the only company that i know that has tried to do it. I fear they may be the ONLY company that dares to try and do it because of "some" of this.. they deserve respects and hats off for at least trying to untried.

Indeed!

13. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

All i can say @amberraine

[​IMG]

14. Night Owl

Night Owl Avatar

My opinion is this... Just about everything in life is a matter of interpretation and this is no different. How the Keep and Castle lots were interpreted by each of us differs. Even if they had a team of lawyers proofing everything they posted, someone would find room for interpretation. I for one don't want my pledge money to be wasted on lawyer reviews either. This would close down this Community process quickly (open discussions, brain storming, and other collaboration efforts).

I interpreted that the LOTM lot was unique to the pledge and that when the Keep lot was announced, it followed suit because Village, Town, and City were always the core sizes and were the only items in the store (along w/ row, depending on which update you want to refer to). Keep in mind, the Duke castle used to be on a City Lot, so who's to say Portalarium won't add a castle style house later on down the release cycles that fits a City lot? :)

Could they have been clearer and/or updated the pledge pages at the time the Keep lots were announced? Yes, there could have been more clarity. From what I've read here, they were made aware of how unclear the pledge page was and/or how things were interpreted incorrectly , so they made an update to the page for clarity. I see this as a routine update, which also falls within their standard terms of service. I would suggest everyone read them. I see nothing in their terms of service different than many other software companies, including other kick starters with various phrases such as they have the right to make changes to services, content, etc... For any reason, at anytime, and without notice.

I don't feel that Portalarium should ask the community about every single word, phrase, feature, or decision they make. This would consume a large amount of time, which I also wouldn't want to see my pledge money spent on. I would rather they continue to focus on building the game we're here to support and ask for feedback on mechanics, gameplay, etc.

In the end, I feel that they are doing their best to meet the demands of the community to build a product we will all enjoy for the years to come. Besides, maybe they will exercise their rights to change their services/product to allow for other lot sizes, possibly even keep or castle lots by E2, E3, or beyond. By then there would be more land and someone might be able to afford it with in-game gold by then. :)

Speaking of interpretation, I'm sure my post will also be interpreted differently depending on what side of the fence you're on :)

Batoche1864, Olahorand, Retro and 9 others like this.
  15. Amber Raine

+10000000 - LOVE IT!

Dame Lori and Myrcello like this.
  16. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

It's the combination of them. Each pledge had a unique house size with no rent. It wasn't specific that the SIZE was restricted. It was implied the "lord of the manor" house itself was. Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...iotts-shroud-of-the-avatar-whats-the-big-idea

Now this is the EXACT SAME ambiguity with stretch goals. That these horses are only present in the goal itself. So if you don't pledge on a goal, you get no horse and mount. Not "that kind of horse".

Aegis159 and Joviex like this.
  17. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

It is when you are treading a line that involves purchase and receipt and changing an item description without explanation.

Aegis159 and abovenyquist like this.
  18. carlaisle

carlaisle Avatar

Somewhere between here and Timbuk3 Chaotic Bliss
    Change almost always has opposition. However, that said how does any company know how one feels unless it is brought to their attention. Right now, there is much civil unrest; which is not voicing ones opinion or ideas . Why not make it proactive and voice your concerns or feeling to Portalarium. We all have the capability to makea difference and Collaborate with a positive community feedback. Its known as constructive criticism. So, given the opportunity to listen I believe Portalarium will hear what the community has to say. Sure we can talk about it, Lets get to the heart of the matter and bring it to the Dev's & Portalarium's attention. This all spawned from the community , think about it before we are quick to react and what we can accomplish together. Bottom Line; Lets do this the right way so we can achieve our goal of being heard . There is truth to ask and ye shall receive . Lets give Portalarium the opportunity to respond and not judge them as they are trying their best to continue to have a successful launch for Shroud of the Avatar :)

19. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Honestly... so what??? *sigh*

I could care less if someone has a monstrous lot that I will never be able to buy with "gold". I didn't give a rollerskating flip through a flaming ring of death when I had pledged $45, I certainly don't care now. That's just an IMHO thing...

20. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

First of all.. unless you bought a plot in the store, you purchased nothing.

Second: Did you plunk down the dough for a Duke or LOTM pledge? No... probably not. If not... well, all I have to say is welcome to your mountain, Mr. Mole. I just don't see how this can be a game changer for someone who didn't have the money in the first place. The dropped a nickle or dime on this, they deserve the recognition.

Batoche1864 and abovenyquist like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.