1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

PVP & Death: Current Thinking Megapost

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

If all the cattle are in the pasture grazing on the lush grass then you are safe. It's only when the bull charges to defend it's territory that you need to worry.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I like that!... I like that allot!
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

3. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

I have an idea for a compromise:

Monday through Thursday the world is entirely PVE with the ransom system.

Friday to Sunday the world is entirely FULL SEXY PVP & FULL LOOT !

From Portalarium: Have a good WeeK-Man !

:D

4. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:eek: But I'm old, so I can't do full sexy loot that many times a week :(
    ~Time Lord~:p

5. Dhailen

Dhailen Avatar

Just to make my understanding clear. If no one is in the contested hexes gathering/trying to gather the uncontested hexes are stocked at one level... If you and your buddies go into a contested hex unmolested the uncontested hexes get a boost in rare resources? That makes no sense to me. Also if a group comes in and starts attacking your group the stock in the uncontested hexes goes down?

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Dhailen

Dhailen Avatar

I can do it that many times a week, but after the first day I'd probably be asked to cut back on the sexy :p

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

*checks his supplies of Avatar-Agra* (may cause high blood pressure, carpal tunnel syndrome, dry eye sockets and occasional systems malfunction, illegal for use in China, India and Somalia, see a healer as necessary)
    OK, but I get may not end up on top which scares me :confused:
    ~Time Lord~:p

8. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I have been thinking of an issue with areas of pvp that give more access to resources.

What if there is no one there PVPing, or a group decides that working together is more beneficial to the long term gain? Then it just is a hex of free resources.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

You misunderstood. Ristra said the opposite.

1) If a contested hex is totally dormant, the total yield of resources should be decreased and the hex should not spawn rare resources.

2) If a contested hex is active, total yield should be increased. The heavier the action, the higher the yield. Rare resources should begin to spawn when activity reaches a certain level.

3) If a contested hex has "always on" rare resource spawns in place or if rare resources are present but there is no conflict happening, NPC monsters should spawn, to provide at least some barrier to gatherers. The greater the value of the resources present, the tougher and more numerous the monsters.

Numa and Time Lord like this.
  10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I would think then that the amount of resource gatherers themselves may be then in "control" over the hex because it's not defended by any other... o_O?
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

11. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

That probably wouldn't be a long-term problem. Those resources shouldn't be plentiful enough to support distribution amongst a large group, and no doubt groups will fight over that limited availability. Just like real life! Yay!

Time Lord likes this.
  12. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Hopefully, but it is definately something that players would take advantage of if they can. If you don't have a plan for that in place it could get really bad.

Trenyc and Time Lord like this.
  13. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

No no, that would be a dynamic resource control. I am talking about some of those good old Chris' "knobs" behind the scenes where they can see the influx of rare resources and tune them.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. 3devious

3devious Avatar

It might not be easy pickings for anyone. The original plan was to have rare harvests and monsters be more abundant in those areas. Something tells me that with people as evil as Chris, DarkStarr and Lum at the helm the rare monsters won't be cute llamas made of gold, they'll be demonic fire breathing alpacas that burst in an acid cloud when you kill them. Rare resource gathering will probably require a lot of mettle, courage and luck whether there are other players around or not.

Dhailen and Time Lord like this.
  15. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

How about giving houses/guilds something to fight over? Like control over the mines? Instead of allowing people to kill each other for loot or bragging rights.

Why not create a system that ties the results of a PVP war between two guilds directly in to a supply demand economy. How? By making these mines to be captured by houses/guilds. These mines can post NPC guards that the guild that owns it pays for it. When the mine gets attacked the guards should be able to hold for about 5 minutes to allow the guild to arrive. Now depending on who you buy ore from the price may differ. This will also cause guilds to want to grow to have more powerful allies so they can control the mines.

Now mines can have different ore types and the stronger guilds will try to control the epic ore and the lesser guilds will try to capture the iron ore. This will cause alliances to get together to try and overthrow their enemies. This will cause PVP to have some meaning. Crafters will need PVPers for ore and PVPers will need crafters! I got a macro economy here in the works. Killing people for rewards and or loot especially if its their will not work. Trust me I tried and my post got deleted. Well I did use a term not liked here.

In any case I think PVP has to tie in with the economy. This also helps role play because now guilds have to RP with each other to create alliances to boot out the greedy guild harboring all the ore.

William Vengeance

16. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

And i dont see how a smaller guild coul ever get accesss to rare ore if the above scenario happens because its impossible for a small guild to overcome strict numbers no matter how skilled at pvp they will always lose to the power of numbers

Samlee, Silent Strider and Mishri like this.
  17. Duke William of Serenite

Exactly ! Small guilds will have to form alliances. Now the alliance of small guilds can take the mine. The idea behind this is to engage people to roleplay and create alliances, bond together and fight for resources. Now lower tier mines can be more in abundance to control fighting. And as the rarity the ore increases the mines are less in abundance . Now starter guilds can armor up and get their feet wet. Once they are ready to tackle on the rare ore mines they will form alliances. Or they can buy the ore from the guild holding the mine they need ore from.

Kind of like the real world. What do we fight over? Oil? Why we need it.
    What is the United Nations? An alliance to help get oil for cheap lol!

If Pvp doesn't tie into the economy then it will be pointless. In an rp led society what you do needs to have meaning.

We need conflict and there has to be a reason behind it to give the Rpers something to chew on.

Then the lore writers will actually have a story to tell . Our decisions will shape new Brittania. Our alliances will make history and bring war!

18. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

the united nations is a joke but i wont get into that.

I"m a loner, i dont like being forced into guilds to use basic game functions.

19. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Because that means if you want to craft the best items in the game you will be required to PvP. That wont fly around here when a lot of people never want to pvp and just want to craft/gather. There will be pvp zones with higher yields of rare ingredients than safer non-pvp spaces. If you want to control that hex with your guild you can do that. But the game wont assign control, you just kill anyone that tries to enter/harvest it.

Duke NRaas and Silent Strider like this.
  20. Duke William of Serenite

Well then, they made an entire game just for you called single player
    mode. Or the friends mode which is coming soon I heard will be nice.

Vendors will of course be loaded with ore most people will be lazy and just buy it in town.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.