SotA - Recommendations to DEVs regarding PVP

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by psychlo, Jul 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Resurrected

Resurrected Avatar

Absolutely, the best games always need to have balance and whilst I have only been here a couple of days from all I have read, this is what RG and the dev team are hoping to develop.

Phredicon, Dryxaline and Sir Cabirus like this.
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes you can you duel and flag pvp anywhere with others who are also flagged, there are arena basements also that you can pvp in. they are in your basements if you happen to have one of those. ****cheers****

3. Resurrected

Resurrected Avatar

To be honest if a player wants to spend his time sitting outside a bank or any other building, that is entirely up to him/her! :mad::eek:

Silent Strider likes this.
  4. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

I play video games since Pong. Computer games since before (non-ASCII) graphics were mainstream.

I don't care about competing with others. At all. I play games to have fun.

And for me unwanted antagonistic interaction with other players is the antithesis of fun. Thus, any game where other players can choose to attack me without my explicit consent is utterly worthless as entertainment for me.

This is not just a hunch, mind you. In the decades I've been playing video games I've experienced nearly every genre and variation, including open PvP games with non-consensual PvP. I never could like those, and as I grew old I got tired of giving those games more chances; hence why I won't even give non-consensual PvP a chance, I already tried enough games with it to be sure no game with non-consensual PvP can ever please me.

Well, the only compromise I would make to non-consensual PvP is to not play at all. If I can ever be attacked by other players without my explicit consent, I'm not playing online, at all.

As long as I can completely and utterly opt out of PvP, and not be gimped in my PvE gameplay due to it, I don't mind the PvP (and might even take part in it). The moment any kind of PvP becomes mandatory, even if only for opening a small part of the PvE content, then I'm not playing the game anymore.

Sir Cabirus and Dryxaline like this.
  5. Owain

Owain Avatar

The PvP system at present is just testing the first phase. As such, PvP is just a gank event.

I'm OK with that for the pre alpha stage of development, but by release, I would expect far more.

6. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I think they said there is going to be duals, and the blessing of the oracle to be flagged for open pvp. We should be able to fight in cities or anywhere in the world. Except that if we get in a fight in Owls Head the Owl's head guards might get involved though.

Zone based isn't going to be the only pvp. I don't like the massive battles. I like to not die in 20 seconds because people all focused on me. Which happened quite a bit in the larger PvP zones this release. However I did pick off quite a few people in the forests. But I'm not a PK, in spirit. I would rather fight to defend myself, not to go out and just kill random people.

Although they are going to do the contested PvP zones that have special resources. That might take a group to gather there. There might be a mafia or something to try to control those places. Who knows. However the Guild Wars and the Open PvP will exist as well as the zones.

GLYPH COMBAT

I was a real skeptic about the deck system. I've been proven wrong. It actually does work well, and that was just the first release of it. ALthough I still hope there is some kind of toolbox button that has a place to store relevant but non offensive spells. Something like that might be useful, because stacking the deck with non combat spells kind of dilutes the deck, but I might be wrong about that too.

7. Owain

Owain Avatar

The KGB will be buying either a town or a city (depending on donations), and we plan to flag the city as open PvP, so y'all come, ya hear?

8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

The KGB city Sounds like another dangerous place. There's a guild called SLUM that is building a metropolis, and an underground metropolis connected to it. So you can enter the first town, and reach the underground through the first town. The underground will be a PvP zone. Real scumbags. If you guys are PK hunters, that might just be a location for you guys to find some, but it will be a battle zone in there.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  9. Owain

Owain Avatar

The KGB city will be a dangerous place IN THE EXTREME to the enemies of the KGB.

For friends of the KGB, it is our goal that there be no safer place to be.

10. Espada

Espada Avatar

Can't wait! It appears to be very promising. Hopefully, thats the case.

Ravicus Domdred and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
  11. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

If they don't have a murder system I think it will still be possible to tell who a Killer is. There's got to be a way to track bad folks. If being flagged for PvP just allows us to attack anybody else who is also flagged for PvP, maybe the act of attacking a person first is an offense.

I can only speculate because they haven't made any mention of a murder system. If they had one it would be nice to have a minimal version of the UO murder system. It doesn't need the statloss for PKs and stuff, but criminals and anitsocial people shouldn't be treated very well by guards and local business people. They should also be a list of wanted criminals. People who it is legal to attack.

It's too soon to tell what they will do. Either way this week was a good start. I was concerned about the combat system more than any other feature. I'm really pleased to see this type of game being made. I haven't had this much fun since UO 14 years ago.

12. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Congratz on the tournament win. You were quite crafty, and have good skills.

13. Owain

Owain Avatar

A metropolis? They're well funded, aren't they?

If they are enemies of the KGB, depending upon the tactical/strategic circumstances, we will engage them, but not necessarily under terms to their liking. Full frontal assaults on a defended position are expensive.

14. Espada

Espada Avatar

Thanks Isaiah. Good to see you out there with the rest of the pvp crowd.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

15. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

We've been talking about compromises to full loot in the other PvP threads since you've been away. If they don't give us full loot, some kind of loot system would be nice that allows us to at least get something. The ransom seems to be a big compromise. ALthough full loot probably won't be in the cards for SotA, it really is a different game than UO. Unless we can become harder to kill at higher skill levels.

Here's an example of one of the loot proposals. Envy has one too.

16. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I dont' know if you're mocking me because I got knocked out so damn early or not (being out with the "crowd"). lol I don't know if tournaments are my thing.

17. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

TWO I think. One above ground, and the other connected to it being below ground. I haven't heard any confirmation from devs about that happening, but during the chat about player towns they said they could connect two towns together like that by request.

EDIT: I guess if you're a rich badass you could buy a metropolis for your friends, and by a smaller town to connect to it just for your castle lot.

You get to choose your vendors too.

18. Hayate

Hayate Avatar

Yup right now were listed as a town but that may change who knows. I added us in the thread awhile back.

19. Owain

Owain Avatar

More development money for the game. Good for them, if they can afford it, the low life SCUM! :D

Ravicus Domdred and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
  20. Espada

Espada Avatar

Not at all...

1v1s are not always predictable and people can bring something into the table that will crush you too fast to react.. In that tournament i used two builds, based on my experience for R8, to win it.. It came down to knowing the classes you were fighting and being ready with your best counters.. You may not have done great but it is not a representative of your skills as a pvper. I have seen you by the beach a lot, so, i know you are out there fighting the good fights. Good to see you at the tournament.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.