I can no longer participate in this forum

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tamino, Jul 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I have been in heavily moderated forums, (Reefcentral.com) This one is not anywhere near that. Most threads get deleted if they feel the sticky at the top answered your question (whether it actually does or not)...

It isn't as loosely moderated as others (mustangforums.com) I'm on... the off-topic section, where basically anything goes as long as you don't post nudity or threaten people.

They have different goals, This forum is a single video-game community dedicated to discussing the game development, we are trying to improve the game we are discussing. That reefcentral forum has tons of users and it gets spammy if too many people post threads so they actively delete threads they view unnecessary. mustangforums is in the top 100 of users, but they have the dedicated off-topic section for that purpose, anything in the main forums has to be about that subject it's in or it gets moved. (usually to off-topic where the resident trolls devour the poster)

2. Sire Lancelot

Sire Lancelot Avatar

If people understood the development process and or the business of entertainment they would realise it is far too early for negatives. This project is independently unique with a relatively small team for such a huge task ahead. RG and his team have got IRON balls for going it alone on this project and this is exactly why I am backing them. ;)

3. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Please do not pile this into "the development process" or the "business of entertainment".

Many people here (twenty plus years for me) do it everyday. We know what it is.

This project is not a-typical, it was and is purposed to be exposed AND they welcome "negatives".

Just make sure your negatives are intelligent discourse, and not some rambling pile of vitriol, and you will be fine.

There are quite a number of us that tread the line, as it were, on certain aspects, mostly having to do with the higher pledge tier promises, but most rational thought is not lost on "most" people.

Cheers.

4. Jambot

Jambot Avatar

You don't get threatened by the Law, you only get reminded of the right course of action.

Apart from that I must say it pains me to see you go. I think you are the only one I've ever seen question Portalarium's production process (basically saying the money wasn't going to the right place, though I remember this thread being a bit more heated than it should have been), and that was something I hope to see again.

Production is typically hidden in major companies and it is a unique chance for some of us who may be well aware of agile methods and project management to stick our noses in there and possibly criticize practices that were never questionned before.

5. Sire Lancelot

Sire Lancelot Avatar

So in this case pledge promises are not part of the development and or business model?

6. Crikey

Crikey Avatar

Some of my posts, since I signed-up six months ago, have been quite outspoken and critical of Portalarium.

Nevertheless, I have never received any warnings of any sort from any of the Moderators. I thank them for that.

I have always aimed for the criticism to be constructive rather than possibly being considered insulting, denigrating or threatening.

So, I essentially think that they are fair-handed and doing a good job.

[​IMG]

Dryxaline, Gaelis, Mishri and 3 others like this.
  7. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

nice way of taking your own post out of context, you didn't mention anything about pledge promises in the original.

you prefaced that thought with if people knew about development. .....

like I said, many here do, many here continue to work in the industry.

don't use that as some justification to assert that those who don't shouldn't post criticism, or that even us in the industry should sympathize with the criticism they get and to also not post it.

They invite criticism, again, as I said, constructive and clear.

sgt_pEppEr and Bramagola like this.
  8. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

This is good advice. Whenever I feel upset about something I've read, even though I may have the urge to respond, I tend to instead just walk away from the computer for sometime and come back after I've calmed down. Works every time.

Crikey and Sir Lancelots like this.
  9. Favonius Cornelius

Favonius Cornelius Avatar

I've been very supportive pre-2014, but then came the betrayals.

Dear past me: only buy the $45 pledge so you can experience the full run of the development of this game, because by the time 2014 rolls around the pledge system will turn into a real life feudal system where real money equals status and accomplishment, while past donations become devalued as a result and without prior statement of intent from the developers.

10. MauganRa

MauganRa Avatar

I thought I was the only one, I just posted a post on how I feel they have basically ripped off the SOTA community and delivered this crappy game that you would be better off just going and playing WoW because it really hasnt delivered anything Unique to the gaming industry, they have gone from MMO inovators to MMO sheep. I wish I had never given my money to this company as I feel cheated. Shame on you SOTA!

11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Try to sell your account then. Click on forums and go to the market place. Truly if you don't want to be here then why suffer. Not everyone feels the same way as you, most do not, so what's the point, what's the bottom line of what's bothering you? Well if you sell your account you can go give your money to another game. Sometimes it's better off for some to not be involved in pre-alpha. You can hear later on what happens with the game. So best wishes to you. I have no animosity to haters, I do understand people view things in a different light, this game will not be for everyone, but truly why are you here, and perhaps it was in hopes of rekindling some of the ultima experience you had. For me I still see that it will come to pass.

12. Sire Lancelot

Sire Lancelot Avatar

Sorry Joviex I was thinking out aloud and have not been very clear. :) I'm not sure my post even belongs in this thread so my appologies.

To be clear my original post was intended to be encouraging for both pledgers and developers.

I am not saying dont be critical, in fact I would encourage a flame board for cranky peeps to express their frustrations in a civil non personal manner.

What I was trying to say is that the project is not even at Alpha and if people (specifically non industry) understood the process they may hold back as a lot of issues will hopefully be rectified and or implimented in the initial release. Example:

The project has not been delivered - it has a long way to go. ;) Hang in there MauganRa!

In terms of pledges which is I assume is the issue? I believe supporting any crowd sourced project at this stage is speculative. Who knows where it will go (it's the risk we take) but to me this is the excting part and is the main reason I chipped in. My wee investment was not just for a game. It enables me to hang out with all of you crazy cats and hopefully I too can contribute and be part of an exciting concept in its early inception.

Caska DiFumarate likes this.
  13. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it but you are the exception, not the rule.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

14. tuchaka

tuchaka Avatar

White Knight don't get banned haphazardly, they can't be honest about their behavior I think i have received 2 or 3 warnings in over 10 years of posting, I follow a real simple rule don't act like a huge jerk seems to work just fine.

Bowen Bloodgood and Jambot like this.
  15. Sinclair

Sinclair Avatar

I think the way of "how" to criticize is elemental in every form of conversation. I've criticized recently also some features because i am not happy with them, but i think being respectful is very important. In virtual as also in real life. Not to mentioned that i've backed also hundreds of dollars and it was always clear for me, that kickstarter and the spiritual Ultima successor was a desire, a dream...a dream with also risks.

The devs know that constructive feedback is important for the success of their game and i believe they do not ban you caused by your opinion. As i wrote at the beginning...but please do it respectful.

16. Sir Korvash

Sir Korvash Avatar

I told myself I would keep off the forums for a while, after my last... "incident", which got me a very justified, temp ban.

It is all about how you criticize things. I have been fairly critical on things before, and had no issues. However, my last case, is a prime example of what not to do. A carefully worded, non - offensive post, will not get you banned, and in the worst case, there is the chance of a warning.

As I said, I was banned, and it was justified for what I was banned for. A huge portion of what I said, even in the negative way I said it, did not get me banned, or even get a warning. I was banned for a very specific, and justified reason, that I will not repeat here.

Just as Joviex said, its not what you say, but how you say it.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk

17. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I had a friend who was planning on pledge to Lord leave the game and pledge to Star Citizen instead... after reading one of tamino's posts, actually this one:

This post above feels fairly in-line with many of the posts I had come to associate with the OP, I think voicing one's opinion is one thing - but I had actually felt like leaving the forums after seeing posts like above.

18. Sarg

Sarg Avatar

I'd go a step further and suggest the funding mechanism is not a topic on which constructive criticism is even possible. It's set in stone. From the minute the first pledge at each level came in on Kickstarter, they're obligated to provide (at least) the rewards they laid out.

I suppose one might be able to crusade against the add-on store. On the other hand, repeatedly expressing negativity about something we all know has been locked in for over a year is just beating a dead horse, with a possible consequence of hurting the game's financial viability. I see no reason why the game's official forums should embrace that.

19. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Ey, I saw a lot of pictures of naked animals here!

20. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

It's hardly at all set in stone, as evidenced by the reality that the Stretch Goal Store started by Chris basically saying, "Hey guys...". Then they solicited feedback from Dev+ before implementing that and the new pledge tiers. Portalarium will only be successful with this project is they delicately balance fundraising methods against the tolerance of their customer base. They can't do that if people don't express their tolerances.

Skip and Korvash like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.