I can no longer participate in this forum

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tamino, Jul 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tamino

tamino Avatar

Recently, I was banned twice for expressing my opinions on these forums.

I was told I would be banned permanently after the last ban if another were to occur.

As a result, this is no longer a place where I can freely express my opinion of or give feedback about the game I supported with the largest sum of money I've ever contributed to a game, $500.

All my comments on here were moderate, civil and at no time was I trolling but regardless, I was labeled a troll and targeted by overzealous moderators as others have been.

My criticism was made from the genuine perspective of a long-time fan of Ultima and Richard Garriot. However, I can no longer call myself a fan of either as a result of the way he and his staff have handled the development of SotA and its community.

I was banned multiple times with trumped up warnings which were multiples from the same "incident." These incidents were really nothing more than opinions the moderators and/or developers were offended by or disagreed with. When asked for specific examples of misconduct, they failed to produce any. FYI, my last ban happened while criticizing the graphical quality and performance of the overland 3d map.

Basically, I have been silenced with a threat of being banned permanently.

Anyway, my reason for posting this is to inform those of you who might have noticed my absence. Whether you liked me and what I had to say or not, I am sure most of you would agree it's utter nonsense that I am being threatened with a permanent ban. But regardless, you're not going to be seeing me much around here for as long as this threat remains in effect as there's no point in me posting if I can't express my honest opinions of the game.

I fully expect this thread to be deleted and for another ban to occur. If that happens, I have a plan for how to respond and this won't be the last you hear about it.

To SotA team: Trolls don't pay $500 to participate in a forum. Rather, supporters do. If a supporter criticizes your product, then either address the criticism or ignore it, but don't label your supporters trolls.

2. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

I cant take sides because you present a problem with two sides. You have expressed yours, and that is fine.

Anyway good luck, i hope you will find the way to express your opinions along time.

3. mike11

mike11 Avatar

I can relate and came very close to selling my account because of multiple issues with moderation, recently there has been slightly less nanny-like moderation, probably because they dont want to see those vocal forum posters leaving a game, which cannot afford angry players because that attitute wont be stopped by banning players trying to tell them what is wrong here.

Sent from my GT-S5690M using Tapatalk 2

TemplarAssassin and Joviex like this.
  4. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

I can see all kind of comments and feedback actually on the forums (good and bad). I dont get what could be more terrible to read that has not being said/wrote. Maybe it is not what you say and more how you say it.

5. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Having been around the forums a while, its probably not so much the points you make but probably more around the way you communicate them.

6. Lord Lonn

Lord Lonn Avatar

I think the Moderators are here for a purpose and for the most part they serve that purpose well.
    I've been warned and rightfully so, I mad a mistake and learned from it.
    However some Avatars like to quote a Dev then tear apart there post and make idol threats to go to a different game if they don't meet their likes...
    That's called child like the "ID" I want what I want and I want it now...
    If you do that on a repeated basis I can see you getting a warning.
    I see some Avatars go on and on for forum pages argue about one thing but at the end of the pages its not even about the same topic but they are still arguing. And of course others chime in.
    So the Moderators do there jobs.
    So tell me you get banned for something the Devs so? It's not my fault, trumped up charges.
    It's not just you Tamino there's plenty of this going on...

7. Rodriguez

Rodriguez Avatar

Do you think it was the content of your critic that led to your bannings?

Montaigne likes this.
  8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Tamino I have read what you write. I believe you have had great passion about how this game is going. I also believe that inside of you there are wonderful and great ideas waiting to appear on the forums, and to me they don't always come off like that. I never want to be closed minded, and love it when someone says to me 'hey you are being closed minded' so I can say hmmm maybe I was and step back and look at how I can express myself in a way that contributes, and doesn't put someone else down or on the defense in the meantime. Such a good challenge lol. I am so not always successful at this but believe me I do try. So hopefully all is well with you and you will get what you want Tamino. Thanks for all the time you have spent trying.:)

I just love this to kick my butt lol:cool:

"People may not remember what you did or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel"

9. Montaigne

Montaigne Avatar

This sort of comment, which comes across as a threat, is exactly why you have previously been banned. If you don't like the way the game is heading, just sell your pledge and move on. I'm sure you mean well and are a nice person but you are taking this whole thing far too seriously. Maybe take a break and come back later to enjoy this fantastic game.

10. abovenyquist

abovenyquist Avatar

Tamino, you've generally made some excellent points. And I've agreed most of your posts (although not necessarily the way you expressed things).

And I do think that in the "macrotransaction" funding that Portalarium is using, some deference must be given to those shelling out hundreds or thousands of dollars.

But...

...that comes off as incredibly creepy and worrisome.

Yes, the Stretch Goal store is something of a nonsensical abomination, and yes, many aspects of the crowdfunding/crowdsourcing model were poorly planned and are still pretty poorly managed, and it's not unreasonable to point those issues out. But there's been times where you've directly accused the Devs of being greedy and/or deceptive, and that's not called for.

Umbrae, Retro, Tarsin and 3 others like this.
  11. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

UH yeah, we won't see you because you will be permanently banned. That being said I hope all goes well with you. Try to relax.

Retro likes this.
  12. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

Without saying too much, I have to completely agree with this statement. A little self moderation would go a long way.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

13. Kambrius

Kambrius Avatar

...yet sometimes the best of deliveries may give you diabetes as well...

In all seriousness, active moderation can be defended against by not giving a reason to be moderated ( no threats, ad hominem attacks, hyperbole, etc.). I know I've done things that deserved moderation on here. I do think there is a problem in which a critique is viewed as a troll. That, to me, is a bit overzealous. Perhaps some self-moderation on all sides is what's needed.

I do think it's best to remove the cloak of fandom and nostalgic thinking (hence my signature); doing so helps to mitigate expectations and clear up the lens in which this project can be perceived.

Dane likes this.
  14. Biblik

Biblik Avatar

Soooo... How many of this guys' comments made it in to Always Read the Comments?

15. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

This is not a private house, this is a company wishing to sell a product and everyone seems to have forgotten that.

One of the first things I learned when I joined the workforce at 15 working for the local supermarket has stayed with me no matter what industry I have gone to, paid or volunteer. Its called the I CARE principle.

CUSTOMERS ARE REALLY EVERYTHING.

I think some people would do well to remember this, just because they already have our money doesn't mean they can forget this, unless of course they are happy with having no customers after the game launches because backers have gotten sick of there attitude and left and have told there stories to there friends and all over the internet using other media which CAN'T be controlled

16. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

I'm sure that was why you were banned, you expressed your opinion...

I highly doubt that most of us will agree with this statement because there is zero evidence for why you were banned in the first place. Liking you has nothing to do with it.

Kaisa likes this.
  17. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I'm concerned by the threat.

As for the content. I have read a great deal of Tamino's posts and it is not his difference of opinion that's getting him in trouble it is his delivery. Many of his posts were filled with insults to the devs. He was condescending and rude on more than a few occasions.

This seems to be the case with nearly all of these "anti-moderator" posts. People want to deliver rude and insulting "feedback" and then claim they are a victim. Just disagree politely. It's quite simple.

Ragnabrock, Derium, DizzySol and 16 others like this.
  18. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

That would be a shame, although I've rarely (if ever) agreed with your perspective I feel everybody's opinion has some value.

I think in the past you had seem to personally attack the capabilities of the team. Working on how to tactfully express your feelings would be an excellent goal in order to express your opinion and stay on the forums. You certainly should say how you feel about things, but consider the feelings of others, and especially the developers when you express that opinion.

Like Invidia pointed out, it's now what you say, it's how you say it.

In the past I also received multiple infractions/warnings for the same post (or line of posts) which also seemed overboard, but I realized the warnings were all scripted and were just posts being deleted and firelotus confirming the deletion, not anything personally against me. (This happened when I was calling someone a troll for claiming we had N64 graphics)

Sinclair likes this.
  19. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Selfmoderation is also a suggestion i would have for the OP

I had some posts in this current thread i decided to moderate myself.
    I deleted them.
    All what is left is a out of context "Quote" represented and totaly understood wrong form Sir Asguard about the purpose of them.
    He quoted my post leaving the impression i would support harcore moderating.
    What is totaly wrong. :)

But back to subject.

The reason i deleted them is that i was emotionaly angry and this did reflect in my postings.
    I would always recommend to wait until you have cooled down if you have a emotional response. Or reviewing the post a little later again.

So my recommendation for you tamino is to check your emotional state doing postings and also to review them after you did them.
    Helps reducing the risk of beeing moderated alot. :)

Take care

20. 3devious

3devious Avatar

Yeah I moderated myself when I made a post telling Mishri that FireLotus really does hate him but I deleted it because I didn't know if he'd get that I was teasing him. Oh wait...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.