1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Chris' Release 8 Ramblings!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Aug 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I'm not happy hearing that the combat is currently being handled on the client side. Seems like a recipe for massive exploits. I know I know, this was a first draft and you guys are really smart (I'm not denying any of these things).

But competitive play is much more important to me than lag time. I'd rather this game became a turn based game if it was the only alternative to keep client side scripting and exploits from being advantageous in combat.

And as for guys winning tournaments in Spain...who's to say that guy isn't the son of the royal family playing on the fastest network in the country? It's probably a good sign, but I wouldn't put too much faith in anecdotal evidence like this.

Prince Guni [LIBERTY] likes this.
  2. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

@Chris, every time I read your posts I appreciate your candor and directness in both your initial posts and your replies. There isn't a lot of vagueness regarding your opinion or thoughts! You definitely give the no BS engineering type of view. Thanks

Retro, Lord_Viator, Kaisa and 7 others like this.
  3. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Yep, currently it is open to exploits but each release we move more logic to the server. Also, in the long run, we will be leaving as much on the clients as possible BUT to really count it all has to pass through the server. As we move forward, many things will still be run on the clients and just verified on the server or by other clients. Individual or minor discrepancies are not corrected for most things because sending an immediate "You cheated" type message is the best way to let people know exactly how much they can cheat and get away with. Instead, the server keeps quiet about it in the short term and then we decide whether to issue temporary or permanent bans if needed.

Also, all item and currency transactions and loot creation is already handled on the server side and the server is authoritative any time any thing changes hands.

Since we aren't free-to-play and charge an up front amount, we have a much easier time dealing with hackers and farmers. The net result is that in the very short term, we're hackable (though we track a TON of stuff) but in the medium to long term we'll still be hackable BUT we'll be banning people for hacking. So yes, you might get owned by a someone who is hacking once or twice in PVP but that victory could cost him $45.

4. Drocis the Devious

I can't understand why a zero tolerance policy wouldn't be in order. I mean, I've never used an exploit, a script, or a 3rd party tool despite often being horrible at these games. :)

But what I'm hearing is that if I were so inclined, there's a sweet spot to be found between 1) what you guys can catch, 2) what you guys will act on, 3) what you guys will permanently ban for....that seems like way too much wiggle room. Just ban the creeps. Temporary bans? Why in the seven hells would that be a good idea?

That's good!

That's good too! I think that's a very good model as it seems unsustainable for the long run for all but the people that have unlimited money.

Lastly....can you also hold guilds responsible for hackers? I mean maybe that's a good use for temporary bans. When there's guilt by association. As a guild leader myself, if you guys came to me and said "guild member X was hacking" I'd just ban him or her from the guild without any questions asked. I could care less what excuse they had.

I think if a guild is unwilling to do that or has a history of multiple offenders, it's time to just perma nuke the whole lot of them, and make that public knowledge too.

Crikey likes this.
  5. Chris

Thanks! From day one on this project my push has been to make everything as open as possible and really share not just the game but the game development experience. Also, we've got a fair number of smart tech guys and game guys out there who read this stuff. I've had at least a dozen people contact me in private to question me on stuff or make sure we're aware of specific exploits. So where as most games are run like secretive businesses where everything is hidden, we're more working like a university and we're just presenting theses (plural for thesis, look it up!) for public scrutiny and review by our peers. :)

6. Chris

As confidence grows in what is hacking and what is errors, we'll get stricture with punishments.

As for how we'll handle guilds with hackers, hadn't even thought about it. I expect we'll just deal with individuals and leave guilds out of it. We'll see once we get closer to that point but right now we don't have an official policy.

7. Montaigne

Montaigne Avatar

Some things are best left unsaid!

8. Drocis the Devious

Birds of a feather flock together.

9. Floors

Floors Avatar

Challenge Accepted

rild and Gaelis like this.
  10. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

I hope Chris will get a own armor also, one with deadly mathematical runes on it.

I was a total hater of the deck pvp idea at the beginning.
    But what did convince me was "the fun" all had, and i had "fun" also.

I think the most challenging will be setting up your base skills giving you the option to have total different decks with you all the times for every type of enemy.
    I am sure we will end up with rock/paper/sissor decks alot. You will want all counter decks with you if possible.

I was wondering if players could have a illusion armor spell or illusion mage robe spell.

Because alot of deck decision will be based on the Equipment of your pvp enemy.

Gaelis likes this.
  11. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Chris, first, excellent information as always.

That was certainly the monster of all your posts to date. Lots of really good stuff there. I wish the rest of your senior level teammates could provide that same depth of analysis in a succinct way.

As you mention, maybe not the best analogy =p so I am not going to tear it down, but I will add: I used to fence (and play tennis). I understand what you are trying to say, the "heat" of battle (even the "fog" of war to a degree in the planning).

However, in fencing, like tennis, or even racquetball, you have certain things you do, regardless of the "attack". Some shots you just can't do anything other than "backhand" or certain things like thrusts, you have a number of moves to either evade or counter attack, or both.

With the current system I realize you can "lock" in skills, but that becomes the futile attempt at jamming an old system, a much hated system, at a penalty to a desired "playstyle".

So I have to rely on XX copies in my deck. So, here is a counter example: Creature serves a ball against the wall, it hits the front wall, and side wall, I must now hit it either against the backwall or back to the front wall, look for either of those cards.... no, I have a dive to the left card, and a dive to the right card and a power serve card.

I have no choice of a standard counter move to what my opponent just did.

Chaos brilliant, completely random is not simulating combat, or tennis, or fencing. Move, countermove.

Also the system should resolve context. If I am at a range from the target, the % chance I would pull a "punch to the face" skill should be minimized. It simply makes sense that I wouldn't look for CC skills when 20 yards away.

However, maybe someone played the "crazy train" skill on me and all my skills are completely random for a time.

I also agree with some of the suggestions that have been repeated a number of times. Split the bar into some type of defensive and offensive set(s). At least that greatly focuses what "type" of action I want to take, rather than be beholden to a completely non-contextual, random draw through the deck.

I am sure all of those mechanisms are in the works, just want to put in perspective not everyone saying the system has flaws is seeing it as a completely black or white thing.

Otherwise, yes, even I had moments of fun. The problem was those came, again, completely randomly when the "combos" I wanted to have show up, or at least have a chance to show up, did.

Cheers.

Bramagola and rild like this.
  12. Prince Guni

Prince Guni Avatar

I like that idea.

I also remember back in Asheron's Call people could train a special lore skill that allowed them to see stats of monsters (including vulnerabilities) if their skill was high enough in relation to the level of the monster or animal. I think this also worked on player characters. This could make for a cool skill tree in SotA with PvE ID spells, PvP ID spells, anti-ID defenses, amour illusion spells as you are suggesting. Maybe even one spell that allows you to very briefly see the other player's deck or current hand :D Or you could have a spell you cast to receive a random clue such as "Baldur is vulnerable to fire" or "Baldur is hard to impress with lightning".

13. Rodriguez

Rodriguez Avatar

Thanks a lot Chris. I think you guys are on the right track for Awesometown.
    Your approach to balance makes a lot of sense with the complexity and development speed you try to achieve. I think as long as players have a way of switching their skills without paying too much for it a reactive approach to balancing should work.

Gaelis likes this.
  14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Chris thanks so much for the terrific post. I loved every moment of reading it, and wanted to keep reading, but oh no I got to the last line and there was no more. ;)

I loved the combat system and I loved that it wasn't just the same old thing. This will be a terrific journey for us all. When it is done, it will make history.

People will be saying 'you know that fun and interesting combat in Shroud of the Avatar', why can't more games have fun combat like that?

I look forward to seeing more and more of it in the next releases. **cheers**

15. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

Agreed, I didn't know it even existed.

But thanks for the link so I can add my voice to the 2/3s ;)

Chris, amazing post. Always fun to see your enthusiasm shine through. :)

Saosis, Retro and Gaelis like this.
  16. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

:D

Retro likes this.
  17. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

haha chris is a funny guy :D loved this post thx a lot for the insight!

Now Im going to seriously practice tennis or squash to become good at SotA see you in R9 guys :D

18. Malekin McKracken

Malekin McKracken Avatar

Mountains, Rocks, SAND and HEAT!! far from home
    Between Panning camera angles and player movement, and the deck ( locked glyphs if that is your mode) choices, and Line of sight - you shouldn't really be at too much disadvantage at all, since they have the same required reactions to your movement and angle. in fact, IMHO the fact that ONLY you know your deck placement evens the playing field considerably. I only got access just as V8 was released, and within a few hours I had some functionality in PVP -- all on the modest ping rate provided by Satellite internet from the Middle East (undisclosed location).

Ps. I ping on average 400 + and was holding my own..... I am certain you will master the tactical, and be racking up kill shots in no time. Give me a shout, and we will give that PK pack a run for their PESOS amigo!

19. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Thanks for this great post, Chris.

I really, really hope that you stick with the deck combat system, refine it and don't let yourself be persuaded to return to a WoW-like combat system - this would just be horrible.

gtesser, Kaisa and Gaelis like this.
  20. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

I noticed this - that slower clients gave me less warning with the fireball. Similar to how slower clients strobe-run (teleporting 5 yards ahead instead of smooth run).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.