R.I.P. Robin Williams

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doppelganger [MGT], Aug 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fox Cunning

Fox Cunning Localization Team

Well, this is sad. I still remember watching him in Mork & Mindy at my granny's home when I was a little kid.

2. Gretchelle

Gretchelle Avatar

Yeah... This was very sad news when I heard it. He is missed by a lot of people including myself. :(

3. Mavro

Mavro Avatar

4. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

RIP Robin Williams... :(

5. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

So very sad, he was a bright spot in a sometimes dim world. May the Light shine on his path.......

6. Kalani

Kalani Avatar

I couldn't believe it when I saw it. RIP Robin Williams

[​IMG]

7. Duffrey Blake

Duffrey Blake Avatar

Tis sad news. RIP robin williams. :(

8. selbie

selbie Avatar

Bangarang you legend.

9. Father Guido Sarducci

Father Guido Sarducci Avatar

I guess since I'm the only priest here posting so far, that I need to give Robin some sort of eulogy, so I'll give it my best shot, here goes...
    Life is a stage you can only die on once. Robin brought us all allot a' laughs for many years to come by all his works and the funny stuff he'd say, "that only he could say in just the way that he did". Robin could stay up on the stage forever just talking and entertaining everyone for hours as if everyone was having an individual conversation between him and each person in the audience that was listening. But he was the only one talking and all anyone else could do was just to sit there and laugh at all the funny words and outrageous noises coming out of the man's mouth. Which is a very good reminder to all of us, that life is for the joy in freedom to choose how we wish to be remembered by everyone, yet also, for that special One that's listening to us always that we may not see all of the time, as if He's just another member of our audience. "Make a joyous noise unto the Lord!". It's not just a representation of everybody all together, though that is a very nice thing to do and I'm certain that God loves that, but I've been alive a long time and I haven't heard everybody all doing that yet (work on it), but real life is more to the singular expression of the individual for everyone to better hear and enjoy that little piece of God that's inside each and every one of us here among the living. We can only help each other, by reaching out to the world with our own joyous noises for everyone to be able to hear. I'll bet Robin is up there telling all his fart jokes to God right now. And you can't fart in heaven, so I think he's probably doing that hand under the armpit kind of fart sound while God's sitting there just laughing at him. Robin had done his act on every major stage there was in the whole world, so I guess there was only one stage left that was any larger he could play on... and I know God loves a good fart joke, because that's the one thing God gave to man that brings him back down to earth, helping us realize that we are all only human, "but we're still alive". That's why I think that God and Robin have allot in common between the two of them, they both love a good fart joke and they both can be so very lonely, even with so many people all around them laughing at the jokes they gave us to remember them by.

Robin once said that, "Death is to blink for an exceptionally long period of time". So I want to say back to him now, "Thanks for the wink Robin, but that's an exceptionally long punchline".
    "Rest in laughter Robin, because that's what you gave us to remember you by".

10. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

I was an extra in Patch Adams.

Robin rubbed elbows with us.
    To the rest of the cast and crew we were cattle, but Robin treated us like people.
    I will miss him.

At one point, we were standing in an alley waiting to shoot a scene, and Robin appeared in our midst.
    He was talking to people, asking where they were from, and what they did for a living. Cracking jokes.
    All around us you could hear the production assistants with their radios trying to locate Robin so we could get started.
    They sent runners to the dressing room trailers, who reported back that Robin wasn't there.
    They were searching everywhere.
    Robin could hear it going on, but ignored it and just kept shooting the breeze with us.
    Finally, one of the PA's saw us crowded together, and came over and dragged him away.

But for a few minutes, he was one of us.

The director told us not to talk to Robin, because they weren't paying him millions to stand around and sign autographs.

Later, when we were getting ready to shoot a scene, and my starting location was next to Robin, he remarked that I was being quiet.
    I told him that we had been instructed not to talk to him.
    Robin made it clear that he didn't give a damn about what they had said.
    "Don't let other people tell you what to do.", he said.
    And we spent the next few minutes chatting.

He was an amazing person.

It's hard to understand why a person so universally loved would be in such a dark place, and that the only solution was to take his own life.

Rest easy, Robin.

11. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

There's a lot of very not nice stuff in the world, and if you allow yourself to see it, you'll not ever be able to unsee it. Robin was an intelligent and well-traveled man (who, let's not forget, starred in more than a few very serious movies), and the bad things he saw in the world undoubtedly compounded a genetic tendency toward depression. It seems very much to me that the stage was not a very healthy place for the man. Don't get me wrong--he was an astonishingly skilled actor and an incredibly personable person--but, as you and many others have often said of him, he tried very hard to maintain a semblance of normalcy, in a sense, and to reject labels of exceptionalism (or at least claims that his level of exception is unattainable to any other person). But of course, an actor as skilled as him, once the Hollywood sharks get wind of him, can't be "just a guy who happens to be an actor". Given the alcohol and cocaine addictions that chased him through his later life, I rather suspect the pressures of his celebrity status made things a million times worse for him, too.

I do admire the guy, though, for his faults. As sad as his death is, it's somewhat refreshing to see a testament to the fallibility of unprecedented fame. As his life went on, he grew more and more famous, sometimes even without really trying, and yet he never put himself above those without fame--even in the way that he died, by suicide, no note, quietly and selfishly, with a big arf you to the industry that tried to turn him into a god. Like he did so many other things in life, he went on his own terms. Good for him, I'd say, if I didn't believe the decision was probably one of overwhelming despair.

The guy deserved better, just as all of those (and us) who are part of that industry (whether as employees or customers) do.

12. Father Guido Sarducci

Father Guido Sarducci Avatar

This is something I found interesting about how Robin wasn't so different than you or I about games and loving to play them with all of his family.

13. Jynx

Jynx Avatar

Father Guido Sarducci likes this.
  14. Kambrius

Kambrius Avatar

15. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

So very true Trenyc... and seeing these things in a world of people who will not see them can be like living with a curse.. and not any psych med or doctor or counselor in the world can fix it or make it right again.

But playing games helps!!

Father Guido Sarducci and Trenyc like this.
  16. Fredrick FlameGrinder

Fredrick FlameGrinder Avatar

Parkinsons too didnt help.

17. Ator!

Ator! Avatar

Rest in Peace Robin Williams. You will be missed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.