Steam Distribution Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Belinn, Oct 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Belinn

Belinn Avatar

Steam is a nasty piece of work. It will get you a million twelve year olds and chase adults away.

Steam windows version installs with "start automatically with windows" as its default setting and REQUIRES a login to change the setting.

It is just rude self centered software and does not play well with others

mbomber, Lord Baldrith, Aldo and 2 others like this.
  2. Net

Net Avatar

Well, luckily we do not have to use Steam. As for its users, I am sure that some of them are quite nice. Some might be trolls or whatever but hopefully there will be ways to deal with them, there are trolls or worse elsewhere anyway.

Arianna likes this.
  3. adaamhimself

adaamhimself Avatar

I've used Steam for years and had no issues. This is probably the best way to gain exposure for SotA.

4. timbusan

timbusan Avatar

Steam represents a cross section of society so there are some decent and some not so decent people on there, for sure. If SOTA gets early access then Steam would bring in a lot of money. However, loads of people will hate it because it isn't a fleshed out experience at the moment, but it hopefully won't matter. Those people will just stick to bitching about it on the Steam forums and without Steam they wouldn't have bought it anyway. There is the risk of bad publicity but it already has a decent sized, guaranteed player-base.

Retro, Link_of_Hyrule and Falstaff like this.
  5. Sargon

Sargon Avatar

I disagree.

Steam is the best thing that ever happened for my gaming collection. I really appreciate the convenience of having all my games in one location and readily available to install at the click of a mouse.

The last physical PC game I bought was The Old Republic Collectors Edition and that was 3 years ago. There is a very good chance that SotA is the last game I will ever purchase in physical form.

6. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Retro, Link_of_Hyrule and Margard like this.
  7. Retro

Retro Avatar

Steam basically saved PC gaming when the game publishers and M$ ganged up to try to kill it once and for all ...

Steam showed everyone that piracy wasn't the real problem, the real problem was an ancient delivery model and outdated pricing structure.

Also not needing CD's, being able to play my games on any computer where I can install Steam, and having my cache of games safe and secure, priceless.

I won't play SotA via Steam (there's no need) but I love and respect what Steam has done for PC gaming.

Thanks Gabe, you're a visionary.

I Love Steam......

8. Morgnes

Morgnes Avatar

Well I'm 31 and steam doesn't scare me away, why should it? I don't see a reason...

Yeah pretty much like everything similar out there (battle.net, Origin, many messaging programs etc).

How so?

9. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

I used steam, but I prefer not using it. I will not play SotA through steam, thats for sure, but I will not say no to those who want it.

10. Qiox

Qiox Avatar

Same here. There's nothing wrong with Steam.

Montaigne likes this.
  11. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Also, Summer Sales. :D

Retro and adaamhimself like this.
  12. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

I used to despise Steam and actually had a very stern opinion on the matter of being able to download without DRM. However, over the past year I downloaded it, played some free MMORPGs, bought Chivalry for $4 which is cool. It doesn't really feel like DRM until you need updates. Otherwise it's a bustling community with a huge playerbase and influence on the PC gaming industry. I'm all for it. I will be downloading my version through the main SotA page, but I will definitely be taking advantage of the Steam key, just incase. :)

13. Biblik

Biblik Avatar

As a note this is probably awesome for the game if we can get 1 million new players to purchase :)

Retro likes this.
  14. redfish

redfish Avatar

We need 1 million new players pledging for several of the stretch goals ;>

15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I've nothing against Steam but I prefer to own the actual disk/CD/DVD/Whatever.. so when I went out and bought the DVD for Skyrim only to find out the only thing on it was the Steam install files.. and being forced to create an account and download the entire bleedin' game anyway.. I was more than just a little annoyed. That's not Steam's problem though.. it was how the developer handled the distribution of the game. If I want to install it somewhere else.. I'll have to download the whole darn thing again.. even though I have "the disc". [/rant]

Needless to say I'm thankful we aren't forced to use it but it is a nice option to have. Both for players and Portalarium I think.

16. Jhorus

Jhorus Avatar

Yeah the whole steam discussion (like the bitcoin discussion) always leaves me wonder why people are so resistant to things that only benefit the SotA community? The devs have taken care to remove the negative aspects (of both) to positively help, and yet people still complain.

At work we have a theory. Our dept (IT) has a theory that no one reads more than five words in any email or post. Once they get to five words they just start making their own assumptions of things (that are later explained in the very same email/post) and then just comment on their own assumptions, rather than completely reading through and making at least an elementary attempt at reading comprehension.

I realize the onus is on us, the posters, to get our ideas across, but the reader needs to do a smidge of brainwork themselves. ;)

Jatvardur, Retro, Spoon and 2 others like this.
  17. selbie

selbie Avatar

As opposed to this forum? or just about any online account in existence right now?. You also don't need to go through Steam to prevent it opening on startup, just go through the MSConfig processes. Type "msconfig" in the start menu run command, accept the UAC prompt, and go to the Startup tab >> then uncheck the Steam Client item.

With the "twelve year olds", Portalarium is giving you options to avoid them altogether....Single Player Offline, and Single Player Online, AND if you select enough mature friends in the game, you won't see any kids at all due to the instancing limits.

Right now Portalarium desperately needs exposure to attract more funding for development. Steam Early Access will help that.

mbomber and again like this.
  18. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

Agreed Steam in itself is very annoying, its like someone who keeps talking and nagging without ever being asked anything

mbomber, Lord Baldrith and Net like this.
  19. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

There are other way to keep them away unless your aiming for them as customers but that again kills any medieval game

Net likes this.
  20. selbie

selbie Avatar

Weren't we all twelve year olds at some point when we played the Ultimas? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.