Ghostly Avatar and Ghost System thoughts

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by majoria70, Jan 3, 2015.

?

Voice your thoughts and ideas regarding the avatar ghost and current ghost system

1. The avatar ghost is fine and here is why.

22.2%
  2. The avatar ghost is not fine and here is why

77.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Ok my fellow community. I have been meaning to start a conversation regarding the avatar ghosts and ghost system for some time now. I was unable to find any examples or not much and sitll didn't. I did post an old picture from my Ultima online days. Some of our funnest times were being a ghost lol. Ok so I will list below my thoughts on the ghost system in Shrouds so far. Just jump in if you want and let's discuss this.

1) My ghost is a guy ghost and I really don't want to be a guy when I die or otherwise;)
    2) The ghost is awkward and clunky feeling. I'd rather walk on the ground or perhaps have a smoother floaty feeling.
    3)I'd love to see an option to explore the underworld, since I know exploration is stilted and stifled now on purpose so we don't explore the easy way, also if busy at the momet you have the option to rez and get back to what you were doing..
    4)Had some fun Going in search of the healer to rez or other players could rez you. Trying to tell them OOOOoooooooOOoo and thinking they might know spirit speak to rez you. Maybe if doing a dungeon it could work differently.
    5) I really don't like the ghost as it is right now, as mentioned above I don't like the look or feel of the ghost. I'd like to hear what is coming in regards to the ghost system.

2. Ghost Heretic

Ghost Heretic Avatar

Currently the ghost mode is still in pre-baby form. I'm sure when game goes live , it will be over 9000 .... right ?
    What if ghost mode transforms the game into another game....
    What if dead players as ghosts could interact with world items like a torch or candle and/or move things about a little and or open/close doors and/or make some noises and sometimes be visible to players and/or even attack them :p....
    Players could have end game gadgets-alien detector like thingy to detect ghost players in dungeons ^_^ ghostbusters :D
    What if as a ghost you get a ghostly inventory bag and a ghost puppet where you can wear ghostly armor and equipment and/or have a ghost house or a dungeon and/or be the monster waiting for players to vanquish you.
    If so one could have an experience bar that fills up each time you kill another player as a ghost and have a special set of skills you can level up.
    This would also lead to special ghost npcs to interact with .
    What if what if .... :p someone played with edit a little ^_^

3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

LOL Well some ideas I like, the item interactions for example. It had been mentioned in the past that perhaps we would find things while dead that we couldn't find when we weren't.
    I can see there could be possible PVP possibilities. How about the possibility of being haunted? hmmm

Also welcome Ghost Herectic if you are new, or did you just change your name.;)

4. Ghost Heretic

Ghost Heretic Avatar

oh hai ^_^ thank you , no i've been around i just don't talk much ^_^

5. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I just wish we could move a little faster as a ghost.

6. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

I highly dislike the speed of ghosts. Whenever I die I usually just wait for a respawn instead of meddling with the slug.

7. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I like the idea of interacting with items and things as a ghost or that there are only things you can do when you're dead. Kind of like in Ultima 7 going to Skara Brae! :):)

8. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

Interesting topic Majoria70.

The idea that came to mind when I read the question....

This would be dependent if we have a reputation system.
    A person with a goodly reputation would look more the angelic type

A person with a evil reputation would look demonic

A neutral person would look like they are but ghostly in appearance.

There would be certain degrees of ghostly avatars. Everyone starts out neutral in a reputation system then defines themselves by their action. So all players being dead would look simply ghostly and as they progress towards the maximum end of their aligned "system" would change in appearance so a very very very good person, as good as the scale would allow would have wings, halo and be very Angelic with awesome armor or robes and such. Being at the top end of evil would have huge ole' horns,evil armor/robes etc etc and in between the maximums of each scale would be varying styles and looks for staged progressions of alignment.

That is the basic idea.

I like the idea of being able to affect the living world as a ghost. I would think that as a ghost your ability to interact with the living world would be dependent on your knowledge and skills. A fighter type would be able to do little while spell casters could affect the would with knowledge of their craft. Cause the wind to blow, communicate with the living. If we could find a copy of The handbook for the recently deceased (Beetlejuice) we could do alot.

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

LOL great ideas Cult Leader. We will have our virtue system. The choices we make in the game will affect how npcs interact with us and supposedly more to that. If they don't like the way you've been handling yourself they may very well tell you about it ;) I like your ideas. :)

10. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

I can see an adventure.

Think I will use it as an in game book.....

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  11. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Does anyone know why, when you resurrect as a ghost, you sometimes appear where you're standing and sometimes at the beginning of an area? Is that intentional or not fully programmed yet?

I'd like to res exactly where I'm standing. When I was losing conn constantly before we got our new router, and the tour guide was in the very bottom of the gem mines, I literally ran down there no less than 20 times. Every time I died, I'd be at the entrance, not healed of course, and sometimes die within seconds.

At least as a ghost, we could find a "safe" place to res. It could probably be exploited that way too though - like run as a ghost past all kinds of hard stuff and get to a goal.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  12. Raven Swiftbow

Raven Swiftbow Bug Hunter

Not being able to open a door, or float through a door can be a problem currently. I think they might have put that in because they don't *want* us to explore as ghosts. And that's fine - but we already have a timer on it.

So why not allow us to float through doors and simply be limited by the timers. It's no fun to die in Vertas Pass inside a building and then just having to wait for the timer in order to rez.

13. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

I'm not sure if they don't want us to explore as ghosts. We could easily do that in UO. I'd sometimes remain as a ghost and wander an entire dungeon, or into someone's house before they had friend options that prevented anyone - ghost or not - from coming into their house.

I also liked that we could talk and understand each other as ghosts. But people had to have the ability to understand us, otherwise you only saw OooOoo

But I'm not expecting SotA to be identical. Otherwise it would just be UO with updated graphics.

Jivalax Azon and majoria70 like this.
  14. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I'm assuming they don't want to put a no_clip mode on ghosts because you could just float down through the ground. If they could make it specifically that you could pass through doors, that would be interesting.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  15. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

I personally think your ghost should still look like you, just all white and fuzzy (i.e., like Force ghosts in Star Wars films, as seen in the picture in Majoria70's post). I wouldn't mind if you had something to do while waiting to resurrect, like chatting with (Gee avatar, I didn't expect to see you again so soon o_O Perhaps you should train a bit more...) or battling the Grim Reaper (win and you return with full health and focus :D; lose and you return with minimal health and focus like you do now :().

16. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Yeah, it seems they replace your entire avatar with that ghost avatar as opposed to applying a translucency effect to your existing avatar which seems odd.

17. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

I agree with most of what has been said above. I would like to see: faster movement speeds for ghosts, different "looks" or at least transparent character looks, some interaction would be nice, and work on rez. I know it is early, but now is a good time to discuss this. Great thread Majoria.

18. Athens

Athens Avatar

Its probably because you found the Rezzy Crossy Thing (that's its official term now). If you find the rezzy crossy thing, you spawn right there. If you can't find it, you spawn at the entrance with the death penalty and low health.

That, or have more time to reach the rezzy crossy thing. It can be real frustrating when I am on my way to the rezzy crossy thing and I run out of ghost time, especially when I know where it is already.

Caliya, Jivalax Azon and Themo Lock like this.
  19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes Gabriel I love that idea, just phase us out to look ghostly. That would or could have a more erie feel being dead.:)

20. redfish

redfish Avatar

white and wispy :>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.