What is the real purpose of PvP Zones?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Bowen Bloodgood, Feb 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Did I miss where you couldn't flag for PVP anywhere?

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

LOL

And what a story that would be for you to tell your roleplaying friends, Ravicus. Then maybe after a drink and a rest you and your boys could go back there and give that guy a real game?

Bandits, Pirates, Brigands, these people don't have the same etiquette as you might find in the civil lands.

3. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    because that is the premise of this whole game. consent. Not force. By having the resources in a pvp only area you are either forcing me to go into the area or you are forcing me to pay some one to go into the area, or you are forcing me to buy it from some one. F O R C E Force. Thats the word for the day ladies and gentlemen.

4. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

its not the pvp, its the control of the resources.

5. Drocis the Devious

You don't think some players are being forced to consensual pvp? For every mechanic you like, someone else that doesn't like it is being forced - if we use your logic.

But the reality is that the game is not forcing you to pvp, ever.

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Why would not having a PvP zone be bothersome to you? It wouldn't prevent you from PvPing anywhere.

7. Phenom Ill Il IlI l

Phenom Ill Il IlI l Avatar

From the City in the sky and house of Legend's

I really think if they could do a pvp faction map as ElderScrollsOnline did they could really bring us PvPers into a more emersive pvp setting. In ESO you where fighting for your faction and you you had pride in that. And even though it was a capture the flag scenario it was a good twist to pvp in a MMO setting. I only wish they had not put that side of ESO on the back burner, otherwise it would have been great in many many ways.

8. Drocis the Devious

Please, no factions.

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

My fastest growing thread ever... I'm not sure if I should be happy about that or not. lol

10. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

It just proves this is a hotly contested issue. :)

11. Drocis the Devious

lol We should all be ashamed.

Whatever the future my hold, I hope everyone gets the best game.

12. Entrappedmind

Entrappedmind Avatar

Siiiiigh. I only made it through 13 pages, so if this was said beyond that point I apologize.

Before I start though, how many freaking' threads do we need about this?!? Good God!

Here's the story in a nutshell. They want PvP zones so they can take advantage of the occasional people wandering into said zones without realizing what they're entering (despite acknowledging the notification - yes, you know as well as I do that random people will still pop in there for various reasons). This gives them non-PvPers to kill. Or steal from, in Ghost's case. THAT is what they want.

Why do they want this? Because, deep down, the majority of them are Envy clones. They get their rocks off by harassing defenseless players. This is why Consensual PvP in the rest of the world is not good enough for them. Because they know that they represent such a small minority of the player base that they'd rarely run into another PvPer.

That last sentence is the truth none of them want to acknowledge, because it discredits every argument they make and devalues their perceived "place" in the world.

13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

lol. I don't know.. 9 pages in the PvP section and no one's stepped out of line yet. :)

Either way I think we have a good representation of both sides and isn't that the point?

14. Phenom Ill Il IlI l

As I noted I believe we PvP'ers speak for much more than the previously suggested 5% of the map size "which I also think is a vast overstatement." And I think we should have a PvP zone, as apparently so do many other PvP'ers. So what else matter's? The same reason it matter's to you of why you don't want it. You want to not have a pvp zone that you can go to without the risk of being attacked by players. Same as we want these things. You would wish the whole map be only of risk's of being attacked by mindless mob of NPC's and such. On the other hand we would love to have the whole map opened up to full out combat if that's what we wished.

The problem is, is that you guys will never be happy unless we don't get what we want because it's not in your interest. And you feel you should have the "whole" map designed to let you walk through it without the risk of pvp. And with that we want a pure pvp friendly zone. So know I ask you..... why should we not have this? You clearly have hand over fist more of the map you want.

15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

You read 13 pages of a 9 page thread? That's impressive. :)

In all seriousness though I think that's a rather pessimistic outlook.. there are many types of PvPers.. not all of them are bad and want to grief you.

16. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

As I have stated before, its not about the zone, its about the control of the resources. PvP would have exclusive control 0ver rare spawn and rare resources.

17. Entrappedmind

Entrappedmind Avatar

I'm on my phone. There's fewer posts per page. :)

And yes, there are always exceptions - but in my experience (admittedly in UO, not here), those exceptions were mighty few and far between.

(This is page 18, in case you're interested. Lol)

18. Phenom Ill Il IlI l

And Entrapped I really find you as rude and distasteful as anyone I have ever met in this community. And I promise you that you are wrong on this subject in so many ways.

19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

For starters I'd appreciate not being lumped into a stereotype. If you pay close attention to my posts I've never once called for the removal of PvP zones. I am merely pressing the question as to what purpose they actually serve. A question I'm not sure has been completely answered really.

I mean.. all PvP is consensual.. regardless of what zone you're in.. technically this is even true of PvP zones. There are no difference to the PvP rules themselves. At least no one has pointed any out. As far as you are concerned.. what is the difference between a PvP zone and any other zone? If there is none.. which is what I've been pointing out there doesn't appear to be.. then what difference does it make to you? It's no different than any other zone.

If there's no difference then why do you care?

20. Phenom Ill Il IlI l

Thank you Bowen

The River Warden likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.