What is the real purpose of PvP Zones?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Bowen Bloodgood, Feb 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

If you are ambivalent (as suggested by posts), then why would you care if there were any either?

2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Because there are a lot of other people who care. Plus I don't like the idea of features implemented because of poor reasoning. There are issues here that should be resolved. And if the devs are going to spend time on this it should be for something meaningful.

3. Pamela Eldritch

Pamela Eldritch Avatar

I feel like this has been answered concisely more than once. But I will try once more.

A place meant for PvP gives people interested in PvP a place to congregate. Not having a place scatters these players across the world. I could care less about resources. I also could care less if a version of the zone was available to single players or friends or whatever but having dedicated PvP only zones is good for PvP. I hope they have several.

E n v y likes this.
  4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Several PvP zones are planned.. though I will point out I acknowledged PvP zones as a place for PvPers to come together in the OP. As technically, the PvP community can do that anywhere I had been hoping for more than just that. Now I don't mean to downplay the significance but still.. you don't technically need a game feature to have a popular zone for PvP.

As reasons go, the only reason for PvPers to gather there is the "PvP zone" label and the attempt to monopolize resources.

5. Pamela Eldritch

Pamela Eldritch Avatar

We are agreeing- the only reason for a PvP zone is to have a zone to PvP in. As Party Pat says "My people need a cave to grind in."

6. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I can agree with that aslo. I am not anti pvp zone at all.

7. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

So those who have been pushing for these shardfall zones, your all ok with that being the ONLY place you can PVP right? game doesn't separate by flag get rid of flag all together, if your in shardfall your PVP if your not you can't. This would be fine right?

The River Warden likes this.
  8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

What are you talking about? No one here has been suggesting any such thing.

9. High Baron Asguard

I'm just flipping the argument on its head, if these are so desperately important because apparently (according to some) PVP only exists in these shardfalls then we can switch it off everywhere else for everyone

after all, this would surly be easier on the server, it wouldn't have to check to see if people can be killed before killing them, it just wouldn't kill anyone unless they were in a shardfall

10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Some of the arguments made certainly sound like some people believe that's the case but I hope nobody actually believe that.

11. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Wow 11 pages already. I have been avoiding this thread and the 3 PvP ones as well, mainly because people are just venting over what the devs said yesterday. Don't get me wrong, venting is healthy, I was just chilling mostly today because I was worn out from the banking debates.

@OP
    > Ok serious question. Between recent comments made by the devs and current discussions related to shardfalls and PvP zones. I've really begun to wonder what's the point of having PvP zones at all?

My thinking is they are there for added alternative places for fun. PVE zones have rules that make PVP too easy to cheat at. The only way to get true PVP is in a PVP scene. However, as it stands right now, it is just a glorified arena because there are no NPC's or anything to promote anything but a kill fest. There needs to be at least a tavern or something to make it more social. Right now a PVPer has to go there and just wait for victims. Nothing to do otherwise. Perhaps the hope for this will be PVP POT's if people can find them. It would be much cooler to have a wild west NPC town where the law has fallen.

12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

What difference is there between PvP zones and others that make it easy to cheat at PvP in other zones but not PvP zones? This is news to me.

13. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

There are actually many cases, but a common one is the use of non-flagged players as spies, That is a very significant problem because the spies are immune if caught.

14. High Baron Asguard

How? there is no garentee your even going to land in the same shard, in fact the preference is NOT to put non PVP players and PVP players together so its likely they WONT be

15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Ok here's my problem with this. The game should be filtering and matching players such that PvPers should find themselves together in instance with other PvPers.

In theory at least, it would be problematic for a non-PvP spy to scout for a PvP group against other PvP groups and joining a party to ensure you're in the same instance would flag you for PvP as well.

I would also be curious to know how a non-PvPer would recognize a random group as PvPers to spy on.

In either case, having PvP zones wouldn't solve that issue outside of the PvP zone. It would still happen everywhere else.

16. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

That would be great. But at this point is just as likely that they will be because people spy for friends, guild mates, party members... all things that would increase the likelihood of being instanced together.

17. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    hrm, would block/ignore work in a pvp area? would you be able to be in a dif "scene" than the people you block?

18. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Most of this I answered just in my previous response to Asguard. Take note that if PvPer(s) are being followed by anyone in a PVP zone, the follower will have hell to pay. In a PVE zone, the follower just tags along like a hunting dog barking your location to the enemy. This happens all the time. Right now it is even worse because the /zone command is still in, so the enemies zone in mass to the spy's location and attack with prejudice.

19. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I wonder this too. If block works in a PVP zone, it might be pretty weird.

20. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I think it comes down mostly to how the filters are weighted. I think I remember something about the block not keeping you separate in PvP areas but I also think it would be weighted heavily towards keeping you separate everywhere else?

Honestly I have a hard time imagining exactly how filtering will work under certain scenarios. For example, someone you blocked is in a party with one of your friends and your friend joins an instance you're in. The blocked person should then be guaranteed to be able to enter the instance because of the party. However you still wouldn't hear them speak.

On the other hand.. would your friend be denied access to your instance because they're in a part with someone you blocked?

Just too hard to guess right now without knowing how everything is prioritized.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.