What is the real purpose of PvP Zones?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Bowen Bloodgood, Feb 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

PvM:
    - 95% of the map, danger-free unless attacking mobs.
    - 5% dangerous territory.

* The story advances without hinderance.

Open PvP:
    - 5% of the map made specifically for this playstyle, offers higher yields.
    - 95% of the map still much more dangerous for this player rather than a PvM player.

* Advancing through the story is continually disrupted by other players.

While anyone flagged for PvP gets access to 100% of the map - yes, true - it seems likely that they'll have slower progression.

Imagine it this way:

A PvM vs PvP 2v2 500m Relay Race.
    - Both PvM teams must pass the baton 4 times to complete the relay.
    - Both PvP teams must pass the baton 4 times to complete the relay. However, they will be tripped twice between passes by their teammates. To balance this, some of them might run a bit faster than others.

*shrug*

2. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    The think with this statistic is that pvp does not get hindered out of anything at all. The rate will be slower yes, but that is the choice of not playing the content and skipping over the game to just pvp. Where is the pvp restricted in anyway from content? This game was billed on consensual. even if its just 5%. The game was billed on 100% consensual, not 95% consensual. I want to view both play styles as even but why do they try to dangle the carrot to lure pve there then? I understand the predator prey thing but its not this game or not supposed to be this game.

Filthy Peasant likes this.
  3. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

If they offered PvM quests to PvM-only players, would you be fine with it? Personally, I would not care at all if PvM players had access to 5% more content, because 5% isn't a dealbreaker to me.

Additionally, what's the nature of the 'content' in question here? The zone itself?

As far as I know, people PvP in PvP zones and the quests - if there are any at all - are PvP-related... so a player who has no interest in PvP isn't missing anything EXCEPT PvP content. What's the problem there?

Even then, if you ONLY want to do PvM, then PvM is 100% of your interest. If PvM is 100% of your interest, then isn't it 100% of your gameplay? What is missed?

4. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I would be happy with that yes, as a balance. No I do not have a problem with pvp zones or even them having double loot. It has been stated though previously that rares will be pvp zone specific. In addition the only way to enter a shardfall is in MPO PVP. Not single player, not FPO, but only MPO PVP. I would not care the slightest if the resources were rare outside the shardfall, just make them available. Also the exclusion of content in single player and FPO for adventurers is bad. They do not have to put the extra resources in them, or rare, just make em so a person can adventure. I guess I need clarification because one dev hangout says the only way to get the rares would to be either go into the shardfall, or get some one to go for you, or buy from some one. Well if you are not pvp that only leaves the last 2 options, which is exclusion.

5. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

I'd heard that they'd only offer higher yields.

6. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I'll find the hangout for you.

7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

There seems to be conflicting messages at this point.

8. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Filthy Peasant and Tahru like this.
  9. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

Even so, if a player wants to PvP, they'll PvP and have more PvP-based things. They'll have 5% of the things.

If a player wants to PvM, they'll PvM and have PvM-based things. They'll have 95% of the things.

If a player wants to do both, if a player commits to playing the ENTIRE game and not just particular elements, then guess what? They'll have a shot at having everything. They'll have a bigger, more comprehensive game. That is BASIC.

Something that I don't understand, however, is the basis behind members of either camp [PvM OR PvP] dictating how someone interested in BOTH playstyles [PvM AND PvP] should enjoy the game.

Why should either crowd limit someone who wants both, especially when the 'stuff' aspect is so damn minute? 5%? Are you serious? It is now apparent to me that the PvM community is just as guilty - if not more - of the 'limiting the game' accusations as the PvPers.

In my mind, if you've convinced yourself that you're not participating in game content (in this case, PvP), then you're not going to get particular outcomes or particular items from that content as a just result of your decision. You havn't earned any otherwise, and the sense of entitlement I've seen from both camps is pretty toxic, in my opinion.

I'm sorry but given the points expoused, all that I can respond with is, "The nature of compromise is to deal with it." The game is still 100% consensual. If you want to limit yourself by not participating in parts of the game, then that's your prerogative. Don't limit me, though.

For now, I trust that the mechanics will be balanced in such a way that all three parties can enjoy themselves. If the mechanics pick favorites, then that will doubtlessly be reflected through the players who enjoy the game in its entirety.

Tahru and E n v y like this.
  10. Phenom Ill Il IlI l

Phenom Ill Il IlI l Avatar

From the City in the sky and house of Legend's

See this is where I dis-agree with you! You clearly point this out that "to just pvp". That some how PvP is inferior to your choice of game play PvM. I should be able to progress just as fast as you if not faster. AT least my grinding isn't on mindless npc mobs. Do you see how this can go both ways? I want pvp you want pre made game content. I donated just as you did so don't try and justify how your game style is right and mine is wrong.

11. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Well for clarification, I have stated many times that I want them to be equal. Also, why should pvp get to level faster than pve? PvE wants to play the content of the game, not just the endgame. There should be no fast track to leveling. Play the game as intended or dont play the game.

12. Phenom Ill Il IlI l

Who said that PvM is the only intended way to play?!?!?! *head against wall*

Why do you think they have PvP system's at all? IT is an alternative game style to what you prefer. That's it, nothing less nothing more.

13. Phenom Ill Il IlI l

And you also said that it should be slower than PvM so.... As you say you wanted them to be equal.... how can you call this equal if PvP progression is slower.

14. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

By alternate you mean in addition to. This is a story based game. You will get 40+ hours of story driven content. It is suggested that you will be around level 30 by the time you get done with the story. I believe pvp is important in the game, but as stated it is not needed to finish the storyline. So in this sense it is a pve game first and pvp is or was supposed to be in addition.

15. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

where did I say it should be slower than pve? Do you mean my reply to Crossbowsota who said it would be slower?

16. Entrappedmind

Entrappedmind Avatar

Yeah, I quoted myself. Sue me.

This is not a PvP game with PvE content added in. This is a PvE game with PvP content added in. It's as simple as that.

17. Phenom Ill Il IlI l

That's a matter of opinion. Being a online game it can be made to each his own. But to say that the PvP fan's have to give way to your PvE want's isn't right, no matter how you word it. We all paid just like you so quit trying to bull dog your blue world views on others.

18. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

PvP is simply PvP. How can you expect PvP to be paced equal with PvM when PvM is NOT PvP? If you want to PvM you must stop PvP. Or do we have an expectation that we can PvP while PvM?

Also, Open PvP has 100% of the game.

19. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

here is a quote from earlier. I think we can halt this conversation now until we hear what Chris has to say.

20. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I agree, they'll still avoid those zones no matter what enticements there are. What's the fun in beating up people that don't want to pvp? I see no point in it really. I'd basically be beating up someone that's running away from me while I'm wailing on them in the back til they die. That doesn't seem like a good experience for either party, and it encourages non-pvp people to avoid the zones even more, so why have pvp zones?

steanne likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.