What is the real purpose of PvP Zones?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Bowen Bloodgood, Feb 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

One thing many people (including people posting in here) use to down vote other features in the game.. is "immersion breaking". For dedicated PvP people, nothing is more immersion breaking than not being able to stab you. These zones when completed will provide areas for people to play in where they do not encounter this blocker. The combination of PvP towns and shardfalls will provide the option for people to be able to enjoy the game without ever encountering people that have a magical "no stabbing allowed" barrier. It is not really how i play but i fully understand why many people enjoy this. I often want to lightning bolt that jerk who kill steals my spiders.

2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

In theory at least you shouldn't run into that problem anywhere. At least not very often. The filter/match system should weigh heavily in favor of your PvP flag.

3. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Yes because wandering along a path and having a sign pop up saying "proceed and your whole game play will change" is SOOO immersive, or "your just a single player, this is the big boys path your path is that long one which will take you an extra 3 hrs to travel"

4. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

You can turn that off.

5. High Baron Asguard

Way to miss the point, its not the sign which is immersion breaking, its the whole system. I would say this is actually worse than invisible walls

6. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I can't miss a point which is not clearly expressed. What exactly is breaking your immersion in shardfall? Are you talking about SP transitioning into MP?

7. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

...waits for the first person who accidentally turns that off, decides not to enter, and then goes in to another similar type of scene later...

"I went in and it didn't warn me!!!! This is all your fault for letting me turn off the warning!"

Don't say it won't happen... because it will...

8. High Baron Asguard

Hell yes, the fact that certain paths will be only open to those who want to run around screaming "STUPID NOOB" while the rest of us who actually want to interact with the GAME rather than the idiots are required to waste time "going the long way around", YES that's immersion breaking

9. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

That is an issue with players and chat, people are going to call you a stupid noob no matter what zone you are in (i am not implying that you are stupid or a noob).

10. High Baron Asguard

Personally with all the bull being forced on us "because PVP" I am starting to agree with the hard core who want to septate PVP and PVE permanently, let the PVPers go play COD medieval while the rest of us actually get the deep engaging experience we were promised without it being hamstrung all the time for the sake of PVP

11. High Baron Asguard

Pretty sure no one is currently wrecking my experience wandering around FarCry 4 :)

Filthy Peasant likes this.
  12. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Actually face-pamled in real life, time for different thread.

Tahru likes this.
  13. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

I've only read until this statement so far and I think you are wrong. As far as I remember you stated in another thread that you hate PvE. I don't hate PvP, it's simply not my cup of tea. A PvP lover can play PvP on the whole map - maybe there is a 95% part only with players in open PvP and a 5% part with players who are in a PvP zone. Under the bottom line this makes 100%.

14. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Let's do an experiment...

Thread lately is very one-sided, hardcore RP in a video game is a silly waste of time, and straight "PVE" is stupid, boring, and monotonous.

I will now set my magical timepiece to "countdown" mode, waiting to see how long before my post gets deleted for expressing such an "INSULTING" OPINION (How dare I ?)... Guess it's "your way or the highway" huh guys. So very, very sad. Sincerely, I predict this game won't last 2 years past launch without a genuinely competitive aspect to it (well, maybe you will see it in Steam's F2P section or part of a $1.99 "weekend bundle")... Is that what the majority really, really, wants, their own private "playground" - no other "messy" humans to MESS UP perfect little fantasy world? For this is all you shall end with, and so much less. But no, don't listen to anything that might threaten your respective bubbles... Suppress the resistance at all costs... Beep! Beep! T-minus 100 and counting.................

P.S. I'm not going to bother mentioning how there are TWO SINGLE PLAYER MODES, one online, planned in addition to MPO, because that would be like beating a dead horse at this point, wouldn't it?

P.P.S. FYI: If you don't feel yourself or your viewpoints are being accurately described by these statements, than this post probably does not apply to you.

15. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

Technically I can PvP anywhere, sure.

However, I'm liable to find few-to-zero PvPers in a flag-based world roaming PvE zones. It could be a serious hassle, even a waste of time. If I do, then the combat is still meaningless. In a dedicated zone, the collisions are constant. That sustainability opens a world of possibilities. Problem [more or less] solved.

What's the difference between the two zone types right now? Slim to none, I'd imagine. The game's bare bones. Yet, should I remind you that the game's in pre-alpha? That this current installment is basically a test run?

I remember the Devs saying that PvP zones would be made relevant to the game in time, so I think that they'll make good on that deal. 'Control points,' etc. That alone is an added gameplay concept to which many elements and features could be tacked.

So, 'purpose' is a significant difference with many trajectories (competition, resources, etc.). 'Access' is also a major difference (community, prerequisite, etc.). 'Balance,' too, is important here (that everyone's bound by the same rules). How about 'forms?' There are, after all, many 'forms' of PvP (Last Man Standing, Time Trial, CTF, King of the Hill, economy-based PvP, etc.) that could only be sanctioned in PvP areas/zones/what-have-you.

In the wild, one simply kills another when the opportunity strikes - that's it.

So, are we up to 4 major distinguishing points, or 5? Considering the question, I suppose that even just one will suffice.

The dissimilarities are there. Again, it's pre-alpha. I don't understand why the expectation needs to be so high at the moment, I guess. o.0

Should have just made an open PvP world* imo. :D

*Disclaimer: I jest, folks. Calm down. :p

Themo Lock likes this.
  16. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

Sometimes I believe the many preferences are far too different to put them altogether in one game.

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

17. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

How can a story with quests work if there would be open PvP (maybe with full loot) in the game? It can't. Because every time a player would try to complete a quest someone would come up and attack him. It would disrupt the story over and over again.
    Open PvP works in a true sandbox RPG where you don't follow a story. But if you destroy the gameplay and game experience of those players who are in for the story then you don't need a story at all.

Maybe this is what most here want? Ditch the story and make SotA a true sandbox with open PvP? The trend seems to go this way...

18. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

You know that is what hardly anybody wants (note i can't say nobody) XD

19. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

Ditch the story and I will sell my account :-(

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

20. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Hey, maybe they should indeed take out the story, make Shroud of the Avatar a true sandbox and take the story to create another true single player game in the same universe without any online elements ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.