Make Random Encounters with Other Players

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Satan Himself, Mar 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMadHermit

TheMadHermit Avatar

I am not a PVPer but I love the idea Budner. I think it's a brilliant "Outside the Box" design idea.

Just need to limit it to people who are flagged as available for PVP. They are already interested in a heightened experience and this would appropriately increase the danger level of open exploration.

Well done Sir!

2. TheMadHermit

TheMadHermit Avatar

It would also be neat if the encounters pulled in anyone in your party that you were travelling with. Safety in numbers.

3. Duffrey Blake

Duffrey Blake Avatar

I am not a PvPer at heart but like the freshness of Budners idea. I really can imagine that this could bring back the thrill of the good old uo days. And this will make the re in its current state more interesting and thrilling. BUT not without having the choice to either leave (don't like to call it flee) or fight. Yes, I would be ok with this because re are currently... not so much fun.

4. Manerd

Manerd Avatar

The OP stated "choose" to fight or flee several times so how is this forcing you into PVP? Did I miss something?
    If you remove the penalty for fleeing I think I would enjoy this and I'm not a big PVP fan.

5. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

Because we are being shunted into a PVP area before it even thinks to ask if we are ever wanting to do PVP. You can't do that to people.

This idea only works for people who have the PVP flag on. They'll probably love it, the rest should never get thrown into a PVP area without consent.

FrostII and Ice Queen like this.
  6. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I'm so sick of hearing about trammel/pre trammel as fans of UO try to force this game into the same mold of the original game. Wish this could be put to bed.

This is a fine idea for people who flag open PVP but I doubt anyone else will want it. What I think it would do is push a lot of the players who don't like that to SPO.

FrostII, Segallion and lollie like this.
  7. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

Next they would ask we got forced out of SPO into MPO so we'd have to face the PVPers, seeing as it is a PVP area.

8. Blarla

Blarla Avatar

Not bad no, there is nothing wrong with disliking PvP, on this front we stand united and please don't think I am apologising on anyone's behalf, I am not. I was asking to not be placed in the same category despite sharing the same views on PvPing. I wish to draw a line between myself and Rufus because I believe he overreacted and blaquerougue (who was reacting to Rufus, not the other way around), might be technically correct, but I firmly believe that Portalarium wouldn't abuse the original agreement. If they did I would be grabbing my pitchfork and torch and standing with Rufus. That all said I still feel I can sensibly discuss PvP ideas and developments without jumping down any throats and threatening refunds, 'Of course an idea like this can be implemented and not affect those that have opted out of PvP'.

9. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

The reaction Rufus had should not be picked apart, some people do feel that strongly. And it is not correct of blacquerogue to attack him and try to wind the guy up by pretending the devs could change their mind and force PVP on him, that was just pure mean spiritedness.

I showed a screenshot where devs have promised there will be no forced PVP on the PVE players, that is as good as gold in my books.

FrostII likes this.
  10. Blarla

Blarla Avatar

Yes, I feel that strongly too, 'I firmly believe that Portalarium wouldn't abuse the original agreement. If they did I would be grabbing my pitchfork and torch and standing with Rufus.'.

Sophi likes this.
  11. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Why would you post something like this knowing the reaction you would get?

Womby and lollie like this.
  12. redfish

redfish Avatar

Is there any role-playing context to the fight?

Two players are forced to fight or flee -- just because? What if the players don't want to fight, but don't want to be forced to exit the encounter due to the 1 minute timeout? They might decide to talk, or trade. This is supposed to reflect the risk of travel, and highway robberies. Does one of the parties become marked as a criminal?

13. Segallion

Segallion Avatar

Only way I see it getting in is if there was a box in options, much like duels, that allowed someone who never wants to pvp to turn that to off.

Frankly I'm not sure I would want the resources spent on that right now considering it would be almost like another duel request, except random (since you could fight or flee).

I'd much rather see resources spent on more cleaning up of the single player experience (try playing this game in single player mode [online] right now- it's not very good, the life of the game currently is the community and mmo portion), combat, guild mechanics, and trying to do something interesting with pvp, etc, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

14. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I do agree with you that there's at least an implicit promise that PvP will be consensual.

My suggestion actually preserves that right, since you can opt out of the fight and effectively pay a penalty (loss of items and/or gold). But I realize that is only "sort of" consensual. Paying to avoid PvP isn't that far from being forced to PvP.

I would also note that you are being forced into REs with mobs, is it really all that different, being forced into an RE with a real person?

There is a real tension between people who would enjoy this sort of encounter and those who really don't like PvP. Both groups can be catered to - what if we had these real person random encounters, but you could opt of the encounter itself (and pay no penalty)? Meanwhile those who choose to participate in these encounters go into the encounter knowing that they'll have a some reasonable expectation of competing in the encounter (since we could match levels) and getting some loot.

Thus we'd add realism and fun to the game for those that like the challenge of PvP by introducing these random dangerous situations, but still preserve a PvP-free game for those that really hate PvP.

ANOTHER solution is to have a nice resource available only to the victor, after the fight concludes.

15. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Role-playing and game realism are implicit in these encounters, which replicate the danger of travel better, I think, than REs vs. monsters.

Certainly the players are free to chat, make friends, trade, fight, curse, fornicate, whatever. One of the great side benefits of such REs would be that you'd meet, accidentally, players in-game who you wouldn't otherwise necessarily meet.

I think this would be a role players paradise, provided that person can tolerate PvP.

Dewderonomy likes this.
  16. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

Yep thought this was what this thread was really about. You've made it very clear in this thread you made - Random Encounters ........ Enough Already - how you don't like being pulled into REs...why would you then go and try to force PVE players into also suffering the same way you feel you are suffering?

While PVPers might not like PVE, they will never feel as strongly about PVE as a PVE player can feel about how much they never want to do PVP, so it is very different.

Mobs do not have free will and do not derive pleasure from killing you, unlike a real person/PVPer who can sometimes be extremely nasty about the whole thing.

The difference lies in free will.

FrostII and Segallion like this.
  17. redfish

redfish Avatar

About as much as UO was.

But one of the problems with UO was that PvP often had no real role-playing behind it. People attacked you... for no other reason than because they wanted to kill someone, and then when they died, they re-spawned, and everything was okay. The idea as presented has even less role-playing, because attacking someone in UO turned you into a red, while in a SotA PvP scenario, you can kill someone, then go on with your life in the game as normal.

I would be able to see a player being able to set an ambush on another player, by waiting along the road, and setting up some special ambush function. If a justice system were introduced, and that player would be considered a criminal in the game.

18. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Agree Lollie. I don't like REs in general. Although the purpose of that other thread, if you read the OP, was to lament the uselessness of the current build of the REs. I have always said we should be able to opt out of REs - thus I agree with your love of free will.

That said, if the game is going to force us into REs, I (and it seems others) might enjoy an RE with a real live person instead of a brown spider or whatever.

Ice Queen likes this.
  19. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Good point. I suppose they could link your behavior in these REs with the virtue system, so if you opt to fight, and kill people, it'll affect your standing.

20. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

The thing is, my understanding of REs in future iterations is we will first see them on the map, and walk into them voluntarily (or be able to sneak by them). Inside there will be quests and whatnot to make them far more exciting than just "kill the stupid spider then run for the gate". Anyway, there certainly needs to be no forcing at all.

In the meantime do what we all do, and just run through the things. The real enemy in my opinion is the loading screen anyway.

FrostII, Womby and Segallion like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.